JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Watch What You Say Around Your Smart TV

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3446 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Nothing anymore shocks me.  I am all for technology as there are many good things about it, but I think it's gone a bit overboard.  

I can't even begin to understand how we will discuss this world to ones who are resurrected from 20 years or more ago, lol.  How do we explain selfies and twitter and google spy glass and all the other stuff, lol.  One thing for sure, it will be some interesting conversations.

Just in case anyone misinterprets the article, this only applies when two specific condition are met:

1: You must have this specific make/model of television.

2: You must intentionally turn on this feature of the television.

Certain individuals and media outlets in the past have tried to use these reports to claim that even computer monitors and 1960s tube-TVs have been secretly retrofitted with "Obama's NSA spy gear", but that is simply not true. If you don't own this TV, or even if you do own this TV but you have not turned on the voice recognition feature, then your home is just as private as it would be with no television of any kind.

I was recently on the phone for a work based conference call.

A little while later I picked up my Android tablet and looked at the screen.

At some point in my phone conversation I must have said "OK", and the "OK Google" app opened, recorded my voice and sent it to Google for interpreting!

There was a web site up on the screen with information relevant to the conversation I'd just had!

So what about these smart TV's that you control with hand gestures, are they watching as well as listening  :o

Um sorry but thats not what they are saying about this app in the tv. You have to go into the program and actually turn it off when the tv is delivered. Other wise it is on by default. If you have a tv with voice recognition just go in and turn it off. No big deal. 

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard people claim that, if you have an outdoor antenna that is commercially manufactured that your TV could be transmitting data to *someone*.  I knew this was not true.  But now with TV's that can be connected to internet it is possible to actually transmit things about you to others.

What if someone one day manages to find a way to hack into your TV, turn the voice recognition on and have the data sent to them instead of the manufacturer?  Could be an invasion of privacy.

What if someone one day manages to find a way to hack into your TV, turn the voice recognition on and have the data sent to them instead of the manufacturer?

Changing the firmware would require, at minimum, physical access to the TV, which most people don't have. And if they did, chances are they would leave behind their own device rather than make an easily discoverable and highly unstable hack that would only be disabled in the next update.

The easiest fix IMO is to leave the TV disconnected form the internet and use separate streaming devices. Even if the device is hacked, it has no camera or microphone, so the hacker would only cause a slight inconvenience for the user and gain no useful information for himself.

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)