JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Spring planting

Tazzy

Spring is around the corner!

What are you planning or what have you started already?

I'm hoping to find ideas on planting in a small space, a rental townhome with no dug garden and we can't dig up the lawn, so it will be planters & pots we use. I'm starting small this year because I'm time and energy limited.

I late getting started (although our outdoor transplant / planting season is later than some of yours will be) but we are going to do:

Tomatoes, peas, lettuce, peppers and an herb garden (parsley, basil, chives)

I seen this and thought BRILLIANT idea.  I haven't yet done anything about it.  You use your expended toilet paper rolls as seed starters.

http://preparednessmama.com/toilet-paper-seed-pots/

post-56-0-59956400-1424469709.jpg

In demolishing a couple of houses/garages with my Dad, I was also able to collect a lot of little containers to plant seeds.

Also of interest -- http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/soil-fertilizers/soilless-growing-mediums.htm

Gardening with soilless potting mix does not include the use of soil. Instead, plants are grown in a variety of organic and inorganic materials. Using these materials rather than soil allows gardeners to grow healthier plants without the threat of soil-borne diseases. Plants grown in soilless mixes are also less likely to be bothered by pests.

Edited by cerebral ecstasy

Beth i too am a rental very small- container gardening only

i like it that way, the ground here is rock hard anyhow,

i paint my pots pretty colors- really adds brightness & variety to the overall view. 

began my spring garden indoors...

last 4 wks days have been sunny, 60s/70s i can set all plants out by day

however i still have to tote everyone in at night, as nights are still cool.

so far: dill, basil, cilantro, kale, cabbage, mint, lots of rosemary from cuttings- they're a foot high already.

pansies, daffodils & perennials too.

tiny seedlings sprouting of lavender, coleus, lemon balm, impatiens

veggie plants will draw the coyotes, wolves & javalina- prob will pass on growing very many veggies this yr- 

we already chase them away from the compost bin.

Sharon great idea on the tp rolls- i use mine to hold long cords keep them from tangling in a mess or

to store extension cords... now i have another use for them- thanks! :D

At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion,

and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening..." ~ Malachi 3:16

Beth i too am a rental very small- container gardening only

i like it that way, the ground here is rock hard anyhow,

i paint my pots pretty colors- really adds brightness & variety to the overall view. 

began my spring garden indoors...

last 4 wks days have been sunny, 60s/70s i can set all plants out by day

however i still have to tote everyone in at night, as nights are still cool.

so far: dill, basil, cilantro, kale, cabbage, mint, lots of rosemary from cuttings- they're a foot high already.

pansies, daffodils & perennials too.

tiny seedlings sprouting of lavender, coleus, lemon balm, impatiens

veggie plants will draw the coyotes, wolves & javalina- prob will pass on growing very many veggies this yr- 

we already chase them away from the compost bin.

Sharon great idea on the tp rolls- i use mine to hold long cords keep them from tangling in a mess or

to store extension cords... now i have another use for them- thanks! :D

Jealous isn't the word... But. I would love just a little of your heat!!!

I seen this and thought BRILLIANT idea. I haven't yet done anything about it. You use your expended toilet paper rolls as seed starters.

http://preparednessmama.com/toilet-paper-seed-pots/

attachicon.gifTP-seed-pots-1.jpg

This is great! I can get lots of toilet rolls from my cleaning jobs (plus retrieved the ones from our recycle bin)

Also of interest -- http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/soil-fertilizers/soilless-growing-mediums.htm

Gardening with soilless potting mix does not include the use of soil. Instead, plants are grown in a variety of organic and inorganic materials. Using these materials rather than soil allows gardeners to grow healthier plants without the threat of soil-bornediseases. Plants grown in soilless mixes are also less likely to be bothered by pests.

Fantastic! Also lighter for window boxes which I will hang on the fence so the rabbits don't get the lettuce (and now that you mentioned it, Renee) , I'm going to plant kale since we use it so much.

Edited by Tazzy

Oops, just remembered my hanging fence planters / brackets, big patio pots are snowed into the garden shed. Hope it melts enough before I need them. I haven't planted anything for the past 4 years so forgot they were out there instead of in the garage.

I want to keep the potted herb garden in the house year round (may add cilantro) but have a cat that wants to dig the dirt and make a mess. I need to figure out how to get him to leave it alone.

Hanging from fence : lettuce / kale

Big pots : tomatoes, peas, peppers

WOW!

I live in a apartment too, what type herbs or veggies plants can I have that doesn't need a lot of care, since I'm disabled as well?

Lettuce is pretty easy, can be reseeded as you use it, and grows well in planters that hang from balconies. Do you have a balcony?

A big pot that you can take inside for cooler months can be a year round herb garden - whatever you use most of - parsley, basil, chives, oregano, dill, cilantro, mint, - combine a few in a circle around the pot.

Tomatoes too - stake (any tall stick will do - bamboo or something like it) in a large pot on balcony. You can do cherry tomatoes in one and regular in another.

I like fresh salad ingredients so that is what I'm leaning towards.

sister Missy - my study is also disabled and her carer - also a sister - has made a 'table' - a very deep table on wheels ... filled it with dirt/fertiliser and planted beets, lettuce and many other types of veges. This is good because a. you can move it to the sun and b. you don't have to bend down. If you are in a wheelchair - make it (or get someone else to make it) wide enough for the chair and your knees to fit under.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

I want to keep the potted herb garden in the house year round (may add cilantro) but have a cat that wants to dig the dirt and make a mess. I need to figure out how to get him to leave it alone.

would a small cut piece of screen placed over the soil deter him?

or would he make a mess of it??

(i do not know much about cats)

At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion,

and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening..." ~ Malachi 3:16

Lettuce is pretty easy, can be reseeded as you use it, and grows well in planters that hang from balconies. Do you have a balcony?

A big pot that you can take inside for cooler months can be a year round herb garden - whatever you use most of - parsley, basil, chives, oregano, dill, cilantro, mint, - combine a few in a circle around the pot.

Tomatoes too - stake (any tall stick will do - bamboo or something like it) in a large pot on balcony. You can do cherry tomatoes in one and regular in another.

I like fresh salad ingredients so that is what I'm leaning towards.

No balcony, maybe I can do the window seal with the herbs.

We have a old house on 1 acre... it was planted quite a bit already. But, I want to add more fragrance and a few more local plants. Local-lamb's ear... probably gladiolas. Fragrant, lilac and hyacinth,  maybe a mimosa if I can dig one up some where... I would love some mulberries too.

sister Missy - my study is also disabled and her carer - also a sister - has made a 'table' - a very deep table on wheels ... filled it with dirt/fertiliser and planted beets, lettuce and many other types of veges. This is good because a. you can move it to the sun and b. you don't have to bend down. If you are in a wheelchair - make it (or get someone else to make it) wide enough for the chair and your knees to fit under.

WOW! I like that ideal a lot, I would need to figure out how I can made a table like that or maybe a container that can fit in the window.