JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Perth W.A Cyclone Onslow

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3423 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/regional/north-west/a/26612228/residents-told-to-prepare-for-relocation-as-olwyn-draws-near/

Residents in low lying areas of Onslow are being told by the Department of Fire and Emergency Services to be prepared to relocate as Cyclone Olwyn approaches the coast.

The cyclone is likely to hit between 4am and 5am tomorrow, bringing with it winds of up to 165km/h.

The impact of the cyclone will be felt in Perth, which is expected to receive 50mm of rain on Saturday.

People in Cameron Avenue, Second Avenue, Hospital Avenue and Bidan Street are being warned a storm surge could affect their homes.

State Emergency Service volunteers have been going door-to-door to notify the public.

post-1015-0-47424700-1426146130_thumb.jp

Weather radar See Olwyn approach the coast

These residents are advised to pack a relocation kit with warm clothes, bedding, valuables and important papers, an emergency kit, check neighbours are aware of the warning, identify their nominated welfare centre and the safest way to get there, know where your keys are, ensure family members are wearing suitable clothing, and follow directions of emergency service personnel.

cyclone11031511032015121_1ag071v-1ag071v

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

So take care friends. I have heard there is also one going across Adelaide. 

Hopefully it wont be so. 

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

We've been copping rain from Cyclone Nathan on the east coast.

Finally - some rain !!!

By the looks of the weather map though, it's going to turn itself around and head back out to sea.

(sorry - have forgotten how to post photos)

I'm thankful for the rain (when it does finally come), but with the cyclone up north, over east and out to sea it feels a bit ominous.  I know that this is still technically "cyclone season", but aren't they getting more powerful quite rapidly?

Hope you guys up north/east/in Sth Pacific stay safe and there isn't much damage.

I guess the bbq planned for Sat arvo will be soggy :(

Edited by hatcheckgirl

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-stories/2015/03/14/cyclone-olwyn-weakens-but-still-threatens.html

Perth today is expecting the remnants of the wild weather up north, but so far it's been windy with some rain.  We cancelled the cart work today, and some witnessing groups as well, but I think it is still not as bad as expected - unless the heavens will unleash the worst of it later today.

I don't have news of any brothers affected up north, but according to the footage on the link above, it seems probable that some would be affected.

However, the cyclone that hit Vanuatu was a category 5, and their infrastructure would not be up to withstanding the massive winds and lashing rains.  There have been deaths reported there.  http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-stories/2015/03/14/vanuatu-hit-by-powerful-cyclone.html . Praying for our brothers and sisters there.

I hope all friends are ok.

my Sister in law is on a Cruise around Vanuatu. Etc.