JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Air Force general should be court-martialed for speaking about God

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3251 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Except in this case the statement doesn't come from any government or major organization, it comes from a small anti-religion club that has zero influence on public policy and rarely even has enough influence to make the news.

It's clear that attitudes are changing, but we can clearly see that change through actual policy decisions made by those in charge. Is there really any need to take sides in a debate that largely amounts to "atheist living in his mother's basement sends an angry letter to christian military commander"?

A small anti religion club that received national exposure.  :deadhorse:   

Taylor Swift gets INTERNATIONAL "exposure" all over Fox News, but I don't think where she buys her clothes is significant.

My point, just because something receives "national exposure" doesn't mean it is significant.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Hmm... I see a lot about the military on this forum. And since the military goes against our beliefs it always makes me wonder why people decide to post these types of articles.

We all have the choice to participate in the conversation. If it didn't interest you then why did you participate?

To paraphrase a slogan from the 60's

"What if they started a thread and no one replied"

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

We all have the choice to participate in the conversation. If it didn't interest you then why did you participate?

To paraphrase a slogan from the 60's

"What if they started a thread and no one replied"

From my post I would guess it should be obvious. To gain insight into why people post things like this. And several of my Brothers and Sisters gave me interesting viewpoints. I feel very satisfied that I now know. So I guess it would only be appropriate to tell my Brothers & Sisters Thank You ! 

From my post I would guess it should be obvious. To gain insight into why people post things like this. And several of my Brothers and Sisters gave me interesting viewpoints. I feel very satisfied that I now know. So I guess it would only be appropriate to tell my Brothers & Sisters Thank You ! 

I like to at least have an awareness of stuff like this in case I meet someone that wants to talk about it.

I also want to say Thank You.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Hmm... I see a lot about the military on this forum. And since the military goes against our beliefs it always makes me wonder why people decide to post these types of articles.

One thing about the news we read here, it isn't biased.

Edited by MizPeg

I'm just wondering why in the world this news would not be of interest to us when we are waiting for the destruction of religion and that is what this group is doing whether they are small or huge, I can't find the military law but the Pentagon decided that they should not be able to share with others their beliefs and this is where this came from. When there are major organizations ie, the military, then we are seeing the decline of religion...it should interest people...I'm confused...

I'm just wondering why in the world this news would not be of interest to us when we are waiting for the destruction of religion and that is what this group is doing whether they are small or huge, I can't find the military law but the Pentagon decided that they should not be able to share with others their beliefs and this is where this came from. When there are major organizations ie, the military, then we are seeing the decline of religion...it should interest people...I'm confused...

It's not that it isn't interesting. It is just that it can be dangerous. Personally I have seen some convince themselves that certain things were signs that the great tribulation was imminent. And then when it doesn't happen they become disheartened and some have left the truth over it. I try not to interpret signs, it would be foolish to think we could accurately determine signs and their meaning.. We have the faithful and discreet slave for that. I just do my best to be prepared, as we all should do.

Agreed. The United States declares itself as a Christian nation and it's hard to think of of the kings of the earth turning on BTG but as the nations slowly de-christianize ( :) ) themselves it makes it easier to see them turn on BTG.

I try not to interpret signs, it would be foolish to think we could accurately determine signs and their meaning.. 

No, but we can watch the news. We are encouraged to be aware of world events. This is just a small thing but it's part of a larger picture that we all looking at intently.

When there are major organizations ie, the military, then we are seeing the decline of religion...it should interest people...I'm confused...

Except the military is not taking any action whatsoever.

This is just some busybody trying to gain publicity (read: money) for his cause, and Fox news predictably overreacting to anyone and everyone who dares to criticize the military.

Prophetically, this is no more of an event than "some guy made an offensive comment on Twitter", yet all the 24-hour media outlets pick up those stories quite regularly.

No, but we can watch the news. We are encouraged to be aware of world events. This is just a small thing but it's part of a larger picture that we all looking at intently.

Being aware of the world around us is one thing, speculating is something else. It's a fine line I agree, but so is the one between life and death.

we all speculate, all the time.  as does the slave. so no speculating?

where are we allowed to get our media info from? which source are we allowed to comment from? which one doesn't have it's agenda?

That's gonna take out quite a few comments for this site.

Edited by Your Brother

Sorry friends. working nights for to long, getting a little grumpy? wormy? jerky?

Anyway sorry.

We are all family here. Sit down, relax and speak your mind.

we speculate all the time.  as does the slave. so no speculating?

got it. 

That's gonna take out quite a few comments for this site.

The w00 1/15 has this to say :

"12 Note that Peter also said: “The end of all things has drawn close.” How close? There is no way for humans to pinpoint the exact day and hour. (Matthew 24:36) But there is a difference between indulging in speculation, which the Bible does not encourage, and keeping in expectation of the end, which it does encourage. (Compare 2 Timothy 4:3, 4;Titus 3:9.) What is one way that we can keep in expectation of the end? It is by paying close attention to the evidence that the end is near. "

So yes being alert, knowing that the great tribulation is closer than ever is a good thing, speculating on biblical prophesy is bad. 

Edited by Brother Arellano

Brother Steven I can see what your saying but you have to remember that some of our dear brothers and sisters have been waiting for many decades and would like a little encouragement that things are looking close. To some this is needed, some need to hear positive steps towards prophecy being fulfilled to energize them in their ministry and keep them going. Not everyone is the same in this manor. But I still have not seen anyone using this post to take political sides and hopefully it will encourage everyone that we are getting closer every day but never has there been a specific date mentioned that could cause anyone to think the GT is imminent. We will not know he day or hour but we all must keep going forward and doing all we can and know that things are changing...

speculating is 1.the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

"there has been widespread speculation that he plans to quit"

2.investment in stocks, property, or other ventures in the hope of gain but with the risk of loss.

"the company's move into property speculation"

I think it's funny when a person overreacts and assumes so much out of a little article showing current events with religion...

And according to the Pentagon they will prosecute anyone who speaks about their beliefs this started over a year ago when they court martialed 3 soldiers in 2013. To clarify this situation is not happening because of a harsh letter from a watch dog group it's from the Pentagon.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/05/02/military-ban-proselytizing/2129189/

Being aware of the world around us is one thing, speculating is something else. It's a fine line I agree, but so is the one between life and death.

Good reminder, thank you. I don't remember anyone speculating about it but thanks for the reminder. We need to use balance when we read and discuss world events.

Brother Steven I can see what your saying but you have to remember that some of our dear brothers and sisters have been waiting for many decades and would like a little encouragement that things are looking close. To some this is needed, some need to hear positive steps towards prophecy being fulfilled to energize them in their ministry and keep them going. Not everyone is the same in this manor. But I still have not seen anyone using this post to take political sides and hopefully it will encourage everyone that we are getting closer every day but never has there been a specific date mentioned that could cause anyone to think the GT is imminent. We will not know he day or hour but we all must keep going forward and doing all we can and know that things are changing...

speculating is 1.the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

"there has been widespread speculation that he plans to quit"

2.investment in stocks, property, or other ventures in the hope of gain but with the risk of loss.

"the company's move into property speculation"

I think it's funny when a person overreacts and assumes so much out of a little article showing current events with religion...

And according to the Pentagon they will prosecute anyone who speaks about their beliefs this started over a year ago when they court martialed 3 soldiers in 2013. To clarify this situation is not happening because of a harsh letter from a watch dog group it's from the Pentagon.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/05/02/military-ban-proselytizing/2129189/

I agree that I may be reading between the lines a little, which is why I have chosen my words carefully and done my best not to offend anyone.

Brother Steven I can see what your saying but you have to remember that some of our dear brothers and sisters have been waiting for many decades and would like a little encouragement that things are looking close.

I knew a couple who were so focused on proving that the great tribulation had already started that anything negative happening to a church was blamed on the UN, and would send them into hiding.

After a couple years of false starts, they began muttering about "false prophecies" and how the end was never going to come, and soon after they quit coming to the hall completely.

If action is taken by a government or major group, that is indeed significant and encouraging. But a constant stream of toothless statements from insignificant groups is not at all encouraging, it's discouraging to those who have seen and heard thousands of these false "armageddon is here" claims. It's basically a boy who cried wolf scenario, if we constantly cry wolf when all we see is a leaf, people are going to stop listening altogether.

Here are some excerpts from other news reports on this situation...

The U.S. military has officially banned the gospel of Jesus Christ. As crazy as that sounds, it is actually true. In a written statement, the Pentagon told Fox News that “religious proselytization is not permitted within the Department of Defense” and that “court martials and non-judicial punishments are decided on a case-by-case basis and it would be inappropriate to speculate on the outcome in specific cases”. And a consultant that has been brought in to help the Pentagon develop new policies on religious tolerance says that sharing the gospel with someone else is like “rape” and that he would like to see “hundreds of prosecutions to stop this outrage”. His name is Mikey Weinstein, and he is the president of the Military Religious Freedom Foundation.

It was recently revealed that a U.S. Army Reserve equal opportunity training presentation included “Evangelical Christianity” on a list of “extremist organizations” that also included al-Qaeda, Hamas and the Ku Klux Klan. For much more on this, please see my previous article entitled “All Over America Evangelical Christians Are Being Labeled As ‘Extremists’ And ‘Hate Groups’“.

But I don't think this is the start of the GT I just think the scene of this world is changing in the way they felt that religion was so important. Now they would rather not have it included and that to me makes it easier for the UN to turn against all religions in the future, whether it's close or years away it should not make us feel any different about our faith, hopefully that lessen was learned from the past that we cannot know exactly when. But it sure is exciting to see this world change like it is today just as God's word has described things would before the end comes.