JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Scores from Second Hand Stores

Thanks... found that okay...

It doesn't mention the ethics of thrift shops, however. I'm sure Janet used to talk about something from the Society relating to this stuff before I met her.

It seemed to recommend thrift shops and self sewing, both of which I prefer. We should be conservative about using resources, including textiles. There is much excess trash around and people have too many disposables. However, from what I see stores throw out, the individual has a fraction of impact on the garbage dumping.  

Margaret, the nature of these stores is that you never know what you find when you go inside...

One store may seem to be a bit down-market a lot of the time, but one day it will have a Louis Vuitton something that suits you down to the ground.

It might be the perfect jacket, just the right bag for witnessing, boots or anything. You just have to go in regularly and see what's there.

When my son Jason was 19 he moved out with a friend.  Their money went for an expensive stereo and entertainment system.  Not a stick of furniture in the house except for two bean bag chairs from the Goodwill and two air mattresses as their beds.  My husband had picked Jason up for work one morning and they were driving past Ventura Blvd in Studio City (an expensive area and noticed a very nice couch had been hauled out to the curb.  They both did a double take and Jason said "I see my sofa!  Turn around and lets get it before someone else does."  They took it back and unloaded from the truck and carried it up a flight of stairs to his apartment.  He called his roommate and excitedly told him what a great deal he found.  His friend asked why someone would discard a sofa and it was well known that people would leave things curb side for others to pick up if they wanted.  He said "You know how fickle rich people are.  It probably did not match their drapes like they wanted and got another one."  Jason was so excited all day about acquiring such a nice, expensive piece of furniture and could not wait to get home that evening to stake his claim on the sofa.  He said he was even going to sleep on it instead of the air mattress that loses air all night.

When Rick came home the following evening after work he told me that Jason was really in a bummer of a mood that day.  He said when he pulled up to get him he asked him how he slept last night.  Jason said that when he got home and opened the apartment it stunk so bad he almost puked.  He said that after the sofa sat in a closed hot room all day it reeked of cat urine!  He said his and his roommate had to haul the sofa back downstairs and sat it on the curb for the trash.  Rick said "where is it?"  Jason looked around and said it was gone--some other dumb smuck must have picked it up.  Rick said when he took Jason back home that night they passed that sofa a few doors down setting curbside.  They laughed.  The following day they saw the sofa AGAIN another block down.  They were hysterical with laughter.  We have often thought about that and wondered how far that sofa really traveled.  You have heard of the movie "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants"?  Well this one is a sofa.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Most of the stores won't take furnishings anymore now which are stuffed.  How's your son doing now? That sounds like a typical apartment for young men. My oldest and middle son were roommates for a while. They didn't play their music loudly and were very kind to their landlady, me. 

In Massachusetts, there was a store chain called Buiding 19, Building 19 and a half, etc. They bought case lots and overstock and had some fine quality merchandise as well as just plain junk. I was looking there one day at cushioned pullout couch, I spotted some mouse droppings (on the bed part). I notified the manager. Also around 1980, husb and I needed a new headboard, going from a queen to a KIng sized bed. I searched the store and found several king headboards Standing up leaning against each other. The first one was press board junk, but I looked through the pile and the very back one was beautiful wood, which matched our other furniture. No manager there.  So I went home and telephoned the store.Talked to the manager. He said " I know which headboard you are talking about. It's 15 dolllars." I described the headboard, It's pure wood, with insets and metal fiilagree. "Yah, Yah, like I told you lady,I know my merchandise; it's 15 dollars. " Gave him my name and said I was on my way. I met him at the store and he took me right to the pressboard headboard. I moved all the headboards and revealed the one I wanted. "Wow, I didn't know that was there," Says the manager." "Fifteen bucks, right?"  And yup, I still have it, good as new. Now this looks like it came from Beverly Hills :oops:  cross threading again.  PS - didn't mean to write anymore now in post 34. Redundancy: Now that's another thread. 

I bought a roomba vacuum from hsn 5 years ago. It was an obsolete bare- bones style and I got it 'dirt' cheap. I used it about twice a day and it died, even after a battery change.  Looked on ebay and there was a top of the line model with all the bells and whistles for sale, pennies on the dollar, b/c the owner didn't know how to clean it. Got that one, cleaned it out and it was pristine. While using that, I took apart my old model and got it going again.  A sister just gave me a Bissell Quick Steamer multi surface b/c the previous owner used it on cat hair and cat stains, and they didn't know how to clean it. Just cleaned all my hard floors (and one carpeted floor) with the roomba, which is recharging. Now I am figuring out how to clean the Bissell (almost got it spotless,) so I can scrub my floors. Going to cash in bottles while the dogs play outdoors in a closed in yard, after this. Love this Jane Jetson housework.

I bought a roomba vacuum from hsn 5 years ago. It was an obsolete bare- bones style and I got it 'dirt' cheap. I used it about twice a day and it died, even after a battery change.  Looked on ebay and there was a top of the line model with all the bells and whistles for sale, pennies on the dollar, b/c the owner didn't know how to clean it. Got that one, cleaned it out and it was pristine. While using that, I took apart my old model and got it going again.  A sister just gave me a Bissell Quick Steamer multi surface b/c the previous owner used it on cat hair and cat stains, and they didn't know how to clean it. Just cleaned all my hard floors (and one carpeted floor) with the roomba, which is recharging. Now I am figuring out how to clean the Bissell (almost got it spotless,) so I can scrub my floors. Going to cash in bottles while the dogs play outdoors in a closed in yard, after this. Love this Jane Jetson housework.

I got enough feline hair out of that Bissell to stuff a pillow. I should have checked it it was working correctly this morning. NOt sure if it's good to go.

I got enough feline hair out of that Bissell to stuff a pillow. I should have checked if it was working correctly this morning. Not sure if it's good to go.

It is now running like brand new. Priced it at $259.99 - All I had to buy was the cleaning solution about 8 dollars (four dollars, after subtracting the bottle returns.)  I would have never spent that much money on a floor cleaner, but I'm having fun with it now. :loopy: