JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Things that keep me awake at night...

There are endless food questions;

Who was the first person to eat a snail?

Who figured out you had to pound abalone, was he angry at it?

Did Oliver Twist invent S'mores?

Food is a subject I ponder over endlessly. Mostly when it comes to things like mushrooms. Did someone die from a poisonous one and his friends say " That one will kill you, but lets try this one". Or that they think beer was created by accident. Who decided it was a good idea to drink spoiled bubbling grain?

I wonder why automobile manufacturers don't make cars that will automatically cool a car interior to prevent killing babies and pets.

My car has a remote start that will lock the doors and start the car, if the A/C is in 'Auto' then it will come on too.

If the auto manufacturers put an interior temperature sensor in the car and program the car to use the seat sensors to determine something is in the car, then when the interior reaches 100F, have the doors lock, the engine start, the A/C come on, cool the interior to less than 90F and then shut off.

What's so hard about that?

I imagine most cars could be retrofitted with an interior temperature sensor and reprogrammed for the less than the cost of a broken window or funeral.... 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I wonder why automobile manufacturers don't make cars that will automatically cool a car interior to prevent killing babies and pets.

My car has a remote start that will lock the doors and start the car, if the A/C is in 'Auto' then it will come on too.

If the auto manufacturers put an interior temperature sensor in the car and program the car to use the seat sensors to determine something is in the car, then when the interior reaches 100F, have the doors lock, the engine start, the A/C come on, cool the interior to less than 90F and then shut off.

What's so hard about that?

I imagine most cars could be retrofitted with an interior temperature sensor and reprogrammed for the less than the cost of a broken window or funeral.... 

Such a thing does exist. It was a high tech add-on for the Toyota Prius, it just didn't catch on. A solar panel on the roof runs fans that ventilate the cabin while it is parked.

Such a thing does exist. It was a high tech add-on for the Toyota Prius, it just didn't catch on. A solar panel on the roof runs fans that ventilate the cabin while it is parked.

I didn't know that since I'm not a Prius fan.  :)

However that doesn't sound like it would cool the car interior unless the outside temperature was cool enough to offset the radiant heat from the sun. Reports that I have read says the interior will increase from 20F to 40F when parked in the sun.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

If Jehovah didn't originally intend on us eating meat, why did he put so much of it on slow moving animals?

:indian:  :laugh:

Ha, ha!  -lol

I'm spying out a herd of Big Macs, and rustling them through the gates!

Those slow-moving Quarter-Pounders, will have to take up the rear.    :cowboy:

I didn't know that since I'm not a Prius fan.  :)

However that doesn't sound like it would cool the car interior unless the outside temperature was cool enough to offset the radiant heat from the sun. Reports that I have read says the interior will increase from 20F to 40F when parked in the sun.

I am not a Prius fan either, but I remember reading about it once upon a time and it said that it can cool the interior of the car to within 5° of the ambient temperature. Not bad for most days. I am sure you could do some creative wiring and add a couple batteries and have it run the AC the whole time you are gone. Of course it would be smarter to just leave the kids and dogs at home. 

Sometimes I wonder, did Adam name the whales, sharks and deep sea creatures? How?

He had to whale out, loudly, to be heard over the sound of their spouts!

"Sharks" may have been the first expression of outright pain, after stepping on a sharp rock.

:boating:  

I am not a Prius fan either, but I remember reading about it once upon a time and it said that it can cool the interior of the car to within 5° of the ambient temperature. Not bad for most days. I am sure you could do some creative wiring and add a couple batteries and have it run the AC the whole time you are gone. Of course it would be smarter to just leave the kids and dogs at home. 

Unfortunately a lot of people haven't left the dogs and kids at home, and those same people would probably use an 'auto-cool' option as an excuse to leave the kids and pets in the car. OTOH; there are times the parents forget the child is in the car and this option may have saved their life.

A Frenchman.

He was angry at Pearl's mother.

Hayley Mills asked for "smore" chocolate, but Brian Kieth passed her the graham crackers, because a mouthful of marshmellows made Hayley difficult to understand.

...Did people used to 'smore' at night?

:)    :)

I have a lot of trouble shutting my mind down at night, it's the worst part of the day for me because I dread going to bed and then lying there awake all night.  I run "lists" through my head, forward and backward - books of the Bible, the judges of Isreal, the 12 tribes of Isreal, the twelve sons of Jacob, the twelve apostles, the fruitages of the spirit, etc.  I keep hoping I'll get bored and finally fall asleep but it never happens.  What is even worse is if I forget a name in any of my lists, that can keep me up for hours and many times I just have to get up and find the answer so I can get THAT off my mind!  It's a constant vicious circle.

In the meantime, my husband is fully asleep 2 minutes after his head hits the pillow - literally!  That bugs me.  I've asked him how he does it, how does he get to sleep so fast?!!  He tells me that he just lets his mind go blank.  HOW DO YOU DO THAT?!!!! My mind is constantly "on" - there is no "off" switch.  The dumbest things will pop into my head and then if I can't think of the answer, it really drives me nuts.  Poor Jehovah gets the brunt of things most nights - I pray a lot about pretty inane stuff I'm sure to him.  

My entire family of origin inherited brains with no dimmer switches. Also, all are insomniacs and/or have apnea. Crazy, huh? I am trying to figure out a viable service schedule: maybe every other day. Sleep is NOT over-rated, for those who function with very little of it. 

Edited by kejedo

You don't like Hayley Mills, on the original Parent Trap?

That was a beautiful house Brian Kieth lived in!

I still enjoy that movie!

:popcorn:  

That was a bashful icon. I had a crush on Haley Mills like every other boy in the US.

What did Noah do with all the poop in the ark.

What in the world made Abel say - hmmm step on snakes head, sacrifice, blood - KILL a sheep - that'll make Him happy   :nope:  I still want to talk to him about that one.

Solomon was so wise - why marry of those women? GOD! I have enough with ONE!!! I wonder why that is too?

What would have happened if Moses - after the 2nd or 3rd time God said - "I will wipe them all out and make a nation out of you!" - say - OK?

Where did Adam and Eve live for the first 100 years (or whatever length) in the garden? In the open - what did they do when it got cold or rained? 

What would have happened if they had a kid BEFORE the sin?

Why are people SO STUPID??? What if EVERYONE was just like ME!!   :yes: Would that really be so bad???

Some times my wife says - you wouldn't want a wife who does what you ask - you'd be bored. Hmm, REALLY??? I wonder - what would that be like??

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Yup, that is one of the first questions I want to ask.

What in the world made Abel say - hmmm step on snakes head, sacrifice, blood - KILL a sheep - that'll make Him happy   :nope:  I still want to talk to him about that one.

What did Noah do with all the poop in the ark.

I'm thinking he burned it and the ark, it would take a while before he had dry firewood..

I would think Noah would have a drainage system, since he needed to occupy the ark for more than 40 days and 40 nights.

,,,and some big shovels, for Shem, Ham and...the Other Guy  :uhhuh:, to use.

But maybe he just did things the simple way, and constructed an occupant's lounge, near the ports.

I would think Noah would have a drainage system, since he needed to occupy the ark for more than 40 days and 40 nights.

,,,and some big shovels, for Shem, Ham and...the Other Guy  :uhhuh:, to use.

But maybe he just did things the simple way, and constructed an occupant's lounge, near the ports.

Since Jehovah closed the door, I figured he could crack it open occasionally for a little house keeping.

Here's a question for you, did Noah do any fishing while he was on the ark?

You know, drop a couple of drag lines just to supplement their diet, maybe give the meat eating animals something to chew on?

Edited by Tortuga

Since Jehovah closed the door, I figured he could crack it open occasionally for a little house keeping.

Here's a question for you, did Noah do any fishing while he was on the ark?

You know, drop a couple of drag lines just to supplement their diet, maybe give the meat eating animals something to chew on?

If it were me, I would build a fishing deck, with line and seating arrangements.

But then, I would also have constructed a deck with a couple of boats that I could launch, when the waters calmed, and motor (or sail) around to assert my dominance over the new world of water  . :boating:

But somehow, I sense that if didn't follow Jehovah's direction, just so, that I'd end up being swallowed by a whale- but for good!   :depressed:    

Oddly enough, I enjoy the sound of snoring.  I've never been told I snore, though I do sleep talk A LOT.  But if someone is snoring its awesome because then I sleep better.  I don't know why. 

As to what keeps me up at night, feeling lonely (having no friends and no mate) and thinking what makes me so horrible that I don't have anybody.  THAT keeps me up big time.  I know I should think about the people who care about me (Jehovah included) and not think so negatively of myself.  I just get in a funk and its hard for me to think about anything else until I worry myself to sleep aka my meds kick in.

~Van

What in the world made Abel say - hmmm step on snakes head, sacrifice, blood - KILL a sheep - that'll make Him happy    :nope:  I still want to talk to him about that one.

Yup, that is one of the first questions I want to ask.

A very important question, yep.

I think I'll ask him if he knows how to build huts, without nails.

But then, I would also have constructed a deck with a couple of boats that I could launch, when the waters calmed, and motor (or sail) around to assert my dominance over the new world of water  . :boating:

Do you look like Kevin Costner?

@Sister Taylor

When those moments seem to overcome your spiritual strength and understanding, fight to not equate your self-worth or unique qualities, with your marital state, Sister.

Having spent the early years of my life (my entire 20's) alone- and at one point, fearing things would remain that way- I know (I remember, clearly) what it is like.

But marriage does not necessarily equate to self-worth,  nor does an imperfect world, promise the mate you will truly wish to spend eternity with.

And you have more friends than you know, not only now, but as we physically move into Jehovah's "new earth'; when you will encounter them in full splendor and joy. As a servant of Jehovah, you are his close friend.  And you stand as a pillar, in a confused world.

"We know that God makes all his works cooperate together for the good of those who love God, those who are the ones called according to his purpose".- Romans 8:28