JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Swedish school bans 'him' and 'her' in bid to stop children falling into gender stereotypes

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4685 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

By DAILY MAIL REPORTER

Staff at the school try to shed masculine and feminine references from their speech, including the pronouns him or her – 'han' or 'hon' in Swedish. Instead, they've have adopted the genderless 'hen'.

'We use the word "Hen" for example when a doctor, police, electrician or plumber or such is coming to the kindergarten,' Rajalin says.

'We don't know if it's a he or a she so we just say "Hen is coming around 2pm"; then the children can imagine both a man or a woman. This widens their view.'

Jay Belsky, a child psychologist at the University of California, Davis, said he's not aware of any other school like Egalia, and he questioned whether it was the right way to go.

'The kind of things that boys like to do - run around and turn sticks into swords - will soon be disapproved of,' he said.

'So gender neutrality at its worst is emasculating maleness.'

Article Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2008453/School-bans-bid-stop-children-falling-gender-stereotypes.html#ixzz1QTnLHuR1

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Is this like the time in Cal. where the school didn't want the kids to call their parents Mom or Dad...cause it'll make the kids with a gay couple for parents feel uncomfortable :sweat: ?

I may be tired and in pain :wheelchair: but I'll never   :surrender: to it just send some encouraging words or hugs  :kisscheek:  :encourage:  and I'll return the same   :kisscheek:  :encourage: