JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Stories and what they tell us

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3197 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

People have been telling stories for thousands of years. Stories are usually based on some expansion of reality, they expand on this through use of the imagination.  I am rather interested in what we learn from Sci-Fi.  Sci Fi looks at what we know of the world around us and asks "what if"? it explore questions such as What if man gained more power? Or what is we traveled into space? What if we met aliens?

Much of Sci-Fi starts with the premise that man evolved and then attempts to project the future. Once Sci-Fi projected a rosy future for mankind. All problems were eventually worked out and mans good nature prevailed.

Over the years however Sc--Fi has changed, it has become dark. There is always a greater enemy. It shows the complicity of politics. Even well meaning acts are betrayed.

To me this is a reflection of the hopes of mankind. Many have disregarded Jehovah, they see only the futility of man future, the lack of justice.

What do you think?

It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step :- Jer10:23.

Not a day goes by wherein the truth of this scripture is not reaffirmed

Very interesting, if I understand you correctly, you are saying that the sub-conscious dreams of society are expressed through science fiction and the dreams have changed into nightmares.

Are you looking at all Science Fiction or just the current movies and TV shows? I think that if you are only looking at TV/Movies that you aren't seeing the dreams of society on the screen, you are just seeing something created for a paying audience that caters to their desires, not their dreams.

Even so, there has been a lot of comic book based movie hero's recently that gives the audience the same feelings the original comics did over 50 years ago..

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)