JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/09/well/live/9-11-memory-help.html?searchResultPosition=1

Losing My Shoes on 9/11

The emotional scars of Sept. 11 are still there, but so is the memory of a simple act of kindness.

image.png.24b4cb062e11ad5cc72fa404ecbb0324.png

I spoke to a woman who worked in the North Tower, who told a harrowing story of feeling the floor buckle when the plane hit her building. She said it felt like she was on a roller coaster as the entire floor rippled in waves, up and down. As she told me of her escape down more than 70 flights of stairs, I heard a strange, guttural rumble.

We were standing about a block or two from the North Tower, and we both turned around slowly toward the noise and saw the tower begin to collapse. Crowds of terrified people were running toward us. It was hard to process what was happening, but it reminded me of a scene from a Godzilla movie.

I started to run, but I was wearing heels and could only shuffle. So I kicked off my shoes and ran barefoot.

Edited by happiness IS

• 5 months later...

BE KIND - Inspirational & Motivational Video

Transcript 

Elderly lady : It's not the shortest way, oh I don't mind I'm in no hurry. I'm on my way to a hospice

I (taxi driver) looked in the rear-view mirror and her eyes were glistening. 

E. Lady :  I don't have any family left (Almost to herself) The doctor says I don't have very long.

I quietly reached over and shut off the meter. What route would you like me to take?

For the next two hours, we drove all around the city.

She showed me the building where she had once worked as an elevator operator.

Edited by happiness IS

• 7 months later...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/connieguglielmo/2012/10/03/untold-stories-about-steve-jobs-friends-and-colleagues-share-their-memories/?sh=2d65cc856c58

A Friend In Need

Heidi Roizen, now a venture capitalist, was the head of software company T/Maker, which distributed  software for the Mac in the 1980s. She had many experiences with Jobs she would call "character-building," but one was more personal.

"On Mar. 1, 1989 Steve called to talk to me about a negotiation, and as it was Steve I took the call, even though I had just learned the night before that my father had died suddenly while on a business trip in Paris. When I told Steve what had happened, he said, 'Then why are you working? You need to go home. I'll be right over.'

Jobs came to her house and sat on the floor beside her while she sobbed for two hours. "Yes, I had sofas, but Steve didn't like to sit on sofas. He asked me to talk about my father, what was important about him, what I loved best about him. Steve's mother had passed away a few months earlier, so I think he was particularly attuned to how I felt and what I needed to talk about. I will always remember and appreciate what an incredible thing he did for me in helping me grieve."

• 1 year later...