JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

I always love reading inspiring stories about strangers showing kindness to people in need, be it from newspapers, Readers Digest, Chicken soup books series, etc. Some of these stories I still cherish so much and wish that I could keep a few to look through now and then. 

He Kept an Eye on Me

Driving home in a blizzard, I noticed a vehicle trailing close behind me. Suddenly, my tire blew! I pulled off the road, and so did the other car. A man jumped out from behind the wheel and without hesitation changed the flat. “I was going to get off two miles back,” he said. “But I didn’t think that tire looked good.” –Marilyn Attebery, Spokane Valley, Washington.

https://www.rd.com/true-stories/inspiring/kindness-strangers/

Share with us the little sweet things you do for our brothers and sisters as well as to strangers you meet. Hope it can inspire me to do the same.

What a lovely story behind the wheel chair. That special transport chair looks like in a good condition. The sister was obviously overjoyed to be sitting outside and enjoying the warmth of the sun amidst the blaze of colors around her. 

The kind lady must be thrilled to see the picture of our dear sweet sister basking in the last warm rays of autumn. Her small contribution made such a big difference to another person's well being.

Loved that wheel chair. It seems to be tailored-made for our dear one.

Edited by M'Awan

• 2 weeks later...

Top Note

When my husband died unexpectedly, a coworker took me under her wing. Every week for an entire year, she would send me a card saying “Just Thinking of You” or “Hang in There.” She saved my life. – Jerilynn Collette, Burnsville, Minnesota

From Reader's Digest

Edited by M'Awan

12 minutes ago, M'Awan said:

Top Note

When my husband died unexpectedly, a coworker took me under her wing. Every week for an entire year, she would send me a card saying “Just Thinking of You” or “Hang in There.” She saved my life. – Jerilynn Collette, Burnsville, Minnesota

From Reader's z

Nice story. 

Edited by Life4u

Proverbs 27:11- Be wise, my son, and make my heart rejoice, So that I can make a reply to him that taunts me.

• 4 months later...

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/customer-leaves-25-hundred-dollar-tip-at-ohio-restaurant/95-4c2809f0-729d-46e0-877e-7b57b4b91583

Gov. Mike DeWine orders the closing of all Ohio restaurants and bars, carry-out to still be available

March 15, 2020

But there was one bright spot for some in the industry Sunday night.

A customer left a huge tip for the staff of Coaches Bar and Grill on Bethel Road in Columbus.

"(There were) tears, tears of joy," said owner Benny Leonard. "An unbelievable act of kindness on a pretty weird day."

The tip totaled $2,500. And the customer wrote that it should be split among the staff members, naming them on the note.

"We’ve got unprecedented times going on, we’ve got people fighting over toilet paper and so on and so forth, and to have a guy show up and care enough about people that give him a beer and a hamburger once in a while, that means a lot," Leonard said. "It’s humanity at its best."

View image on Twitter

Edited by M'Awan

• 2 months later...

https://www.ourbetterworld.org/story/true-spirit-crazy-beautiful-life?utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=msn-msn&utm_content=The+true+spirit+of+a+crazy+beautiful+life&utm_campaign=MY_CORE_desktop

upload_phanna_website_005.jpg

Sophanna volunteers regularly, giving free kinder garden classes in the village of Treak. Most days he teaches English in the weekday morning and gives free music classes in the weekend.

Cambodia

The true spirit of a crazy beautiful life

“Hardship is just a lesson. You must strengthen your soul.”

Perched on a customised wheel cart that serves as an extension of his body, he sings only from his heart. Through his music, we see a young man with wisdom well beyond his years, and a tenderness that comes from the courage to share one’s vulnerabilities.

Tragedy happened at an early age for Sophanna. His parents were killed when he was six, and just four years after, he lost the ability to use his legs through a rare spinal disease.

Despite these multiple adversities, he chose to rise above them, to push forward in what he now describes as this “crazy but beautiful life” he lives

For someone with whom much has been taken away from, Sophanna is anything but guarded and selfish. Instead, he gives freely from his heart with a smile that’s thoroughly infectious.

He is also a talented chef

upload_phanna_website_012.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We had in our congregation an unbaptized sister from Nigeria who was pregnant, and has a 3 year old daughter. Near the end of her pregnancy, it was diagnosed that she had pre-eclampsia. Why it wasn't discovered before, I have no idea. She had to then be admitted into the hospital right away. My husband and daughter and I took her 3 year old daughter in during the while the mother was in the hospital. We really enjoyed having her daughter stay with us over the week. She is quite a smart little girl, whose laugh and giggle always brings about a smile. We just happened to get our bunnies and guinea pigs that week, so it was a real treat for the kids! We took her out almost daily for walks in the forest and riding her little scooter on the streets. It was just the middle of COVID lockdown, so it was actually nice we had her to keep my daughter company. One thing we miss about her is when she would cry for eating vegetables. She would even say to my daughter: "No vegetables for you!" My daughter started eating more vegetables because of her. 😅

In the end, the Nigerian sister had her baby, was healthy and mother, too. :)

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

• 2 months later...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/23/nyregion/metropolitan-diary.html?

‘A Woman Waiting to Get On Told Me That My Shoe Was Untied’

I was on the M104 going south on Broadway. As I got off at my stop, a woman waiting to get on told me that my shoe was untied.

I thanked her and said that I would tie it when I got onto the sidewalk.

Before I had a chance, the driver got up from his seat, climbed down the steps, knelt on the pavement and tied the lace for me.

23diary-illos-04-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale

Edited by Mclove

insert graphics

When I was living in Houma, I went to the store, but had forgotten my EBT (food stamp) card, and didn't have enough money to pay for all my groceries, so the person behind me paid for them (or the person in front me). I, of course, thanked them profusely. I didn't have an opportunity to give a Witness, so I believe I prayed that they hear the message and are receptive to it.

• 1 month later...

Mine came from an unexpected place... From A baby... The Cutest baby I've met lately (smiling). Twas a Monday morning, I was heading to work... I wasn't feeling exactly happy that morning... I decided to take a commercial Tricycle... Just some minutes after I boarded, a lady joined us ...  I noticed she had a baby, but I was too lost in thoughts to take anymore notice of of them... Suddenly a little finger touched me... I turned and noticed the cutest Baby looking at me. He was just staring at me, so I smiled at him and he gave me toothless smile... He started caressing my arm while looking at me adoringly... The Mom felt he was bothering me and tried turning him away, But O No !!! He fought his way back... The Mom and I simply burst into laughter... That touch, that steadfast stare from someone sooo little, left me feeling Warm and Cozy the whole day...And each time I remember that little fella, I smile... Wonderful moments can indeed be found in the strangest places...

• 1 month later...

Run in the Rain

Dear Diary:

It was a cold, rainy evening in Brooklyn in October 2017, and I was training for the Philadelphia Marathon.

I was running up Ocean Parkway in Kensington on my way to run a loop of Prospect Park. I didn’t mind the rain, but it was early into my run and I was already pretty wet.

I was stopped at a crosswalk at Ocean Parkway and Church Avenue when a woman with an umbrella stopped next to me.

She looked at me and then put the umbrella over my head.

“You look like you need this more than me right now,” she said.

— Knox Martin

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/22/nyregion/metropolitan-diary.html#commentsContainer

Late on Sunday I visited my grocery and the fish market was already closed. I could see that inside the display case was sparkling clean and I could smell bleach. The floor, sinks and bins had also been impeccably scrubbed.

I went behind the case and back by the walk in, finally found the cleaner, a man in his fifties, vigorously attacking the rear sinks. "You are doing a fabulous job," I said. "I had a fish market. I know how much work it is." He looked up at me, his face showing his effort, and with nobody within 70 feet to see it. He replied with a smile of relief. "Thank you for saying so." And then he went back to work. As I get older, I grumble more. But I must remember to thank more people. It's much harder to survive now than it was when I was their age.

from the metropolitan diary.

After hailing a cab one night, I asked the driver to take me to a place that was seven blocks away.

For some reason, I felt compelled to explain why I wasn’t walking. I said it was because it was drizzling and also because I wasn’t wearing walking shoes.

“No charge,” the driver said.

I laughed.

When we got to where I was going, I asked him how much the fare was.

“I said, no charge,” he said.

As a guitar repairer of over 50 years, my favorite note to put on a bill is N/C (Non chargeable). Second favorite is Lagniappe, putting a little extra special something in the case when it is picked up, a silk scarf around the neck for (the mostly male customer's) spouse to take the sting out of them buying yet another guitar.

☝️   A comment from a reader

lagniappe    /laˈnjap/

Edited by Mclove

• 3 months later...

https://mint.intuit.com/blog/everyday-triumphs/acts-of-kindness-ideas/

Give Someone Your Parking Space When Leaving a Crowded Lot

It can take a little while to find a spot in the parking lot, not to mention the ones closest to the front. If you see someone making loops around the lot, wave them down and point to your vehicle as you load up. Have them sit behind you until you’re able to back out and be on your way — they will be more than thankful!

Smile at Strangers

Smiling is the perfect way to spread happiness without doing a thing. Set a challenge each day to smile at a few strangers when you’re ready to go to the grocery store, or come across someone new on your walk. See how many people you can get to smile back from (and at a distance).

• Write a kind message on your mirror for yourself
  • Add body positive messages to the pockets of all your jeans
  • Set an alarm on your phone to remind yourself to do a quick act of kindness
  • Spend at least 30 minutes a day towards something you love doing 
  • Hang out positivity signs on the outside of your home for those driving by
  • Return extra shopping carts you see at the grocery store
  • Compliment a family on their amazing kids
  • When ordering takeout, give your server a thank you note
  • Learn the names of everyone you see while running your weekly errands
  • Send thank you cards to officers, nurses, doctors, and firefighters Let someone into your lane when driving
  • Bring your loved ones breakfast in bed
  • Tutor someone online for free
  • Take care of someone’s pet while they’re away
  • Wash your loved one’s car (inside and out)
  • Feed the birds your extra bread crumbs

•  Plant something to take care of

Edited by Mclove

On 11/16/2019 at 12:15 AM, Mclove said:

Top Note

From Reader's Digest

I remember doing that same thing for my daughter when her daughter died the same way, suddenly and unexpectedly,  5 years ago. 

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

The thing about random acts of kindness is that they are not random. It's a conscious decision to act, even if it's with short notice.

It's all about  actively looking for ways to help others. It's about willingness to  make  other peoples needs important, even for a short time. It's about having a mindset that people are important. It's about having your heart moved. It's about stopping and just asking, "are you ok? ". It's about being beautiful on the inside and proving it to yourself and no one else.

It's about what Philippians 1:10,11 says, " that you may make sure of the more important things, so that you may be flawless and not stumbling others up to the day of Christ;11 and that you may be filled with righteous fruit, which is through Jesus Christ, to God’s glory and praise.

Thank you for this beautiful topic. 

The one showing favor to the lowly is lending to Jehovah

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alivelez/26-stories-about-random-acts-of-kindness-that-will

Generosity at the grocery store:

"I was grocery shopping when I received a call that my grandpa had died. My grandpa and I were close my whole life, everybody called me his little shadow. We knew it was coming, but to hear it over the phone put me into a shock. I just stood there and went white and numb. An older couple happened to be standing near me and sensed something was wrong. They asked but I couldn’t make words come out. They sat with me for a while, got ahold of my best friend to come pick me up, AND bought the groceries in my cart. Then, not too long after, they sent flowers to my house! Apparently they had my friend’s phone number from when they called her and they paid her to send a bouquet to me. That was one of the worst days of my life and I miss my grandpa every single day, but that kindness and humanity makes me cry in a good way."

• 2 months later...

Just today, I received the same small kindness, and a blessing too. I was waiting in the car (engine running for the AC because it was 92º F/33º C outside) for my husband to run a very quick errand in the supermarket.

While waiting, I watched a man unload his eggs, bottled waters, groceries and a large bouquet of flowers into his car parked opposite mine. I smiled at the flowers, and he must have seen me do that. Next thing I know he is breaking off a few stems of carnations, and bringing them over to me, saying "this is in case no one brought you flowers today"!

They sit in a sweet vase and I will treasure them for the many, many days they will last, reminding me of that very kind, sweet, thoughtful man...a stranger on a very hot day.

Susan Richter

image.png.d11b304191c6756fc5b8cae0d7380951.png

A Metropolitan Diary reader June 8 2021

Edited by happiness IS

I was pregnant at 16. And by the time I was 7 months along, I was quite noticeable. All baby, up front. One day, I came over a small hill which I had to get past to get to the bus that would take me to my high school, and was stopped by an elderly Japanese gentleman.

He seemed to be waiting for me. I stopped as he asked. He handed me a big slice of ice cold watermelon, which was quite refreshing that very hot summer day. Then he blessed me, in his language. I believe it was a blessing. My daughter was born healthy and is now, at 35, a blessing to me and all who know her. 

I think a stranger sharing something good, some small kindness, is a blessing always.

Metropolitan Diary reader

image.png.88ff4015f4ce69424ad8be14f847a560.png

Edited by happiness IS