JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

How to subscribe to secular E-Library

Good day all!

Please, how can I gain access to an electronic library of any institution with plenty ebooks?

If it is an institution that one can access some scholarly theological books for research that would be fine too. Anyone with an idea?

Hi Brother Chigozie,

There is an App on both Android and Apple that is called "Overdrive".

This being a electronic library of ebooks and audio books.

There should be a lot of various books in this "e-library".

I hope this helps you  :)

Also, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind a small suggestion?

It is so good that you are a Brother who desires to dig deeper into the Bible and learn more about our loving Father Jehovah's ways, so I really commend you!  :)

So here is my suggestion as you mentioned interest in this - " scholarly theological books for research"

The Head of the Christian Congregation guides and provides the best and purest spiritual food

through our Governing Body as you know.

And the Governing Body views their responsibility very serious describing themselves as

"the Guardians of doctrine".

But if at anytime we go research outside of this arrangement, it can be a little dangerous as this is 

"food" that can have some "poison" within it as "scholarly theological books" are usually from people

well involved in false religion and are heavily influence by their religion's teaching.

Therefore, it would be better if we tried to do our research as much as possible within Jehovah's "safe" arrangement where there are "Guardians" who protect and distribute Truth.

You are a good brother Chigozie and I hope that Jehovah continues to bless your "digging" efforts!  :)

===============================================================================

*** w02 6/15 p. 15 pars. 16-17 Follow the Royal Pattern ***

During your study, avoid the approach common to many so-called Bible scholars. They focus excessively on analyzing texts as if the Bible were of human origin. Some of them try to fix a distinct audience for each book or to conjure up an objective and supposed viewpoint that a human author of each book had in mind. The effect of such human reasoning may be that of relegating Bible books to mere history or viewing them as reflecting evolutionary approaches to religion. Other scholars give themselves over to word studies, like the philology of Bible literature. They get more involved in studying word origins and citing Hebrew and Greek meanings than in the import of God’s message.
Do you think that such approaches are likely to impart deep and motivating faith?—1 Thessalonians 2:13.
Are the scholars’ conclusions even valid? 

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

Good day all!

Please, how can I gain access to an electronic library of any institution with plenty ebooks?

If it is an institution that one can access some scholarly theological books for research that would be fine too. Anyone with an idea?

I echo Brother Neil's post above.

Using the 'reason of a sound mind' (Oh how I love that phrase, don't see it much anymore.) you might look at Project Gutenberg. They make available  many older reference works for down load, mostly in PDFs but some in Ebook.

Right now they list 50,000 free books.

One that I am tackling is "The History of Herodotus" often cited in our publications.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Hi Brother Chigozie,

There is an App on both Android and Apple that is called "Overdrive".

This being a electronic library of ebooks and audio books.

There should be a lot of various books in this "e-library".

I hope this helps you :)

Also, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind a small suggestion?

It is so good that you are a Brother who desires to dig deeper into the Bible and learn more about our loving Father Jehovah's ways, so I really commend you! :)

So here is my suggestion as you mentioned interest in this - " scholarly theological books for research"

The Head of the Christian Congregation guides and provides the best and purest spiritual food

through our Governing Body as you know.

And the Governing Body views their responsibility very serious describing themselves as

"the Guardians of doctrine".

But if at anytime we go research outside of this arrangement, it can be a little dangerous as this is

"food" that can have some "poison" within it as "scholarly theological books" are usually from people

well involved in false religion and are heavily influence by their religion's teaching.

Therefore, it would be better if we tried to do our research as much as possible within Jehovah's "safe" arrangement where there are "Guardians" who protect and distribute Truth.

You are a good brother Chigozie and I hope that Jehovah continues to bless your "digging" efforts! :)

===============================================================================

*** w02 6/15 p. 15 pars. 16-17 Follow the Royal Pattern ***

During your study, avoid the approach common to many so-called Bible scholars. They focus excessively on analyzing texts as if the Bible were of human origin. Some of them try to fix a distinct audience for each book or to conjure up an objective and supposed viewpoint that a human author of each book had in mind. The effect of such human reasoning may be that of relegating Bible books to mere history or viewing them as reflecting evolutionary approaches to religion. Other scholars give themselves over to word studies, like the philology of Bible literature. They get more involved in studying word origins and citing Hebrew and Greek meanings than in the import of God’s message.

Do you think that such approaches are likely to impart deep and motivating faith?—1 Thessalonians 2:13.

Are the scholars’ conclusions even valid?

Ok thanks. I know care is needed.

But the overdrive seem to offer books to those are members of there affiliates. And the give books by borrowing. That sure costs. Am I right?

I echo Brother Neil's post above.

Using the 'reason of a sound mind' (Oh how I love that phrase, don't see it much anymore.) you might look at Project Gutenberg. They make available  many older reference works for down load, mostly in PDFs but some in Ebook.

Right now they list 50,000 free books.

One that I am tackling is "The History of Herodotus" often cited in our publications.

Herodotus and his history is tricky, yet good. Might add I think he created tales that was not true.

Your welcome Chigozie. :)

As far as "Overdrive", I looked it up for you now and it seems like all that

is needed is an account with a school or library and then you can register.

But no costs that I know of?

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)