JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Anybody worked with Audacity recording software?

Normaly Audacity doesn't show amplitude in db, but rather maximum and minimum voltage levels.  The range goes from +1 which is maximum positive to -1 which is maximum negative.

Where Audacity does mention decibels, it is talking about how much loader or quieter the waveform is. not how loud or quite it is. Think of it this way you might say 1 pool of water is twice as deep as another pool of water, but that does not tell you the absolute depth.

It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step :- Jer10:23.

Not a day goes by wherein the truth of this scripture is not reaffirmed

Okay, I found a plug in to let me read the dB's..................I worked for half a day trying to figure out how to get the decibel range set between 18 and 23----and then found a tutorial that said they wanted the AVERAGE somewhere between those 2 numbers!

Arrghh!  It would have helped if the original instructions would have been that specific....but at least I figured it out. 

Now I'm working on getting my floor level (ambient room noise) down to -60. 

Then I will be working on getting my reading samples done. I am hoping to get some paying jobs doing narration (audiobooks and corporate training).

It's an interesting process.

....Those who seek Jehovah can understand EVERYTHING......Proverbs 28:5. (The possibilities are endless!)

I wish you every success in your project, sister. I can imagine that the requirements for professional reading are high. I did reading of audiobooks for Librivox - a free, public domain audiolibrary - using Audacity. I didn't worry about decibels etc, just made sure that the volume was sufficient. As for ambient room noise! I live under the flightpath of Heathrow, so that was tough! Often I just had to pause while recording, and then edit the pauses and noises with Audacity.

I used a simple Zoom H4 recorder on a tripod and did not speak directly into it to avoid plosives.

I found it to be a rewarding hobby for a while, but my breathing made it difficult later and I stopped.

If you want to hear how it turned out, this is one of my productions: https://librivox.org/idle_thoughts_of_an_idle_fellow_by_jerome_k_jerome/

Although I am not familiar with all the technical features of Audacity, I did find it very easy to use for this purpose. I still use it to edit from music to produce my phone ringtones!

I wish you every success in your project, sister. I can imagine that the requirements for professional reading are high. I did reading of audiobooks for Librivox - a free, public domain audiolibrary - using Audacity. I didn't worry about decibels etc, just made sure that the volume was sufficient. As for ambient room noise! I live under the flightpath of Heathrow, so that was tough! Often I just had to pause while recording, and then edit the pauses and noises with Audacity.

I used a simple Zoom H4 recorder on a tripod and did not speak directly into it to avoid plosives.

I found it to be a rewarding hobby for a while, but my breathing made it difficult later and I stopped.

If you want to hear how it turned out, this is one of my productions: https://librivox.org/idle_thoughts_of_an_idle_fellow_by_jerome_k_jerome/

Although I am not familiar with all the technical features of Audacity, I did find it very easy to use for this purpose. I still use it to edit from music to produce my phone ringtones!

Yes, I have a pop filter all ready to catch those plosives. And I was actually looking at Librivox just yesterday, and thinking I could do some "practicing" on there and get some actual experience.

Can I ask you: Did Librivox ever say your volume wasn't okay? Because in the tutorials they say to use the same settings that ACX (Audible's site for putting narrators and authors together) requires.

So If Librivox accepts it, then ACX should also.---also, did they ever complain about any ambient room noise--you did say you had to contend with airplane noise, etc. I am working on my room for recording because the meter still shows too much noise and I don't want to have to spend hours editing.

Thanks, Chris! It's so nice to talk to someone who has some experience with this. I will  check out your recording on Librivox. Sorry you had to give it up.

....Those who seek Jehovah can understand EVERYTHING......Proverbs 28:5. (The possibilities are endless!)

When a new reader volunteers at Librivox, they ask for a sample recording so that any problems such as volume etc can be sorted before a project gets under way. This is very useful.

They will make suggestions and offer advice regarding settings etc and many there use Audacity for recording and editing. They are very helpful.

The experience will be invaluable, not least in 'calculating the expense' - in this case the time invested. It can be quite time-consuming. But it is very rewarding too.

Well, I am hoping to get into corporate narration as my main source of income. Plus audiobooks, (if I can find any that are suitable these days! ) So I know it will take time, but I used to work a 40-hr week, so I am used to having to provide for me and the kids. This way, I can work a schedule of my own choosing and hopefully work up to regular pioneering. That is the goal.