JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Feedback/perspective from adults who were homeschooled

Here's a really nice blog article written by a fellow sister. 

http://www.tinasdynamichomeschoolplus.com/2015/06/05/great-homeschool-hoax/

BTW, this sister started her homeschooling Journey in Texas. Since then her oldest has graduated and is serving at Bethel now. The rest of their family (her, her husband and the other children) has moved out of the country to help where the need is greater. She is still homeschooling the rest of the children. She did NOT have a teacher degree, or background.

Edited by PrairieGirl

It also really saddens me to hear people happy to get rid of their kids! They are actually annoyed by their own children's presence. They can wait to send them away to Satan's house. Why have children! Sickening.

In the world there are parents that feel their kids are burden. But not the case with the brothers and sisters. I've seen so many tears from parents as they send their little ones to school.

Also some children want to go to school and they don't want to be home schooled. That's ok too. Homeschooling has their benefits ad public schools have theirs. As long as we as parents teach the kids to apply Bible principles  and try to instill a love for Jehovah they will succeed .

I do think children in PS can succeed, I did. However, I do think that Satan is sooo subversive not just with the association but with the actual curricula. Every country is going to have nationalistic propaganda to brain wash the children into believing their country, and even state is better then other countries and states or Providences, etc. The society brought this out in the old blue BE book... ever since I studied that and read it.. I have been able to see the subtle propaganda in the public school curricula. As a result, I notice it is very very hard, even for witnesses to remain politically and nationally neutral. Of course many would not be led to join the military, but I have still heard small things, that make me cringe, that I know the brother/sister didn't realize was a political, national, racist, etc... statement. 

In the world there are parents that feel their kids are burden. But not the case with the brothers and sisters. I've seen so many tears from parents as they send their little ones to school.

Also some children want to go to school and they don't want to be home schooled. That's ok too. Homeschooling has their benefits ad public schools have theirs. As long as we as parents teach the kids to apply Bible principles  and try to instill a love for Jehovah they will succeed .

Actually I have personally heard theses comments these exact comments from our sisters. I have these comments directed to me about my choice of homeschool " I could never do that, I need a break from them ". Sadly not from just one or two but several.

So if you are not a gifted instructor you shouldn't gave a bible study either. I am so thankful Jehovah doesn't feel that way and provides tons of training to be proficient teachers.

Dear Sister

I think you missed the point where I said that both parents were not fluent in English. The same principle applies to religious education. In order to instruct our bible students we need to have knowledge and prepare for each study. If we don't , how will we be able to be effective instructors? The examples that I mentioned do not have the level of knowledge necessary or sufficient time to prepare for each lesson. That being said, I never said that home schooling is ineffective or wrong in itself. It will depend on a series of different factors. It is not for me or my children. That is all. I wish you success on your home school education. May Jehovah bless your efforts.

I rest my case and gladly leave this thread.

Dear Sister

I think you missed the point where I said that both parents were not fluent in English. The same principle applies to religious education. In order to instruct our bible students we need to have knowledge and prepare for each study. If we don't , how will we be able to be effective instructors? The examples that I mentioned do not have the level of knowledge necessary or sufficient time to prepare for each lesson. That being said, I never said that home schooling is ineffective or wrong in itself. It will depend on a series of different factors. It is not for me or my children. That is all. I wish you success on your home school education. May Jehovah bless your efforts.

I rest my case and gladly leave this thread.

What about those ones who "step over into Macedonia" they are not usually fluent in a language and they have much success.

The posts here seem to indicate real potential for this being a divisive topic which wasn't the original poster's intent at all. If some of you are successful at homeschooling, fine. We're happy for you. Many parents in our congregation, myself included, have homeschooled with varying levels of success.

My personal experience was negative, even though I studied my children's assignments ahead of time and spent time attempting to make those assignments interesting. It was never a 'here, this is your assignment, now leave me alone' situation. But as I mentioned in a previous post, I wasn't a great teacher. When I attended school, I had some teachers who were outstanding and who made the material 'come alive.'

Could I say that about most of my teacher said? No. And I am sure that is true of all of us. Some of you dear friends are undoubtedly outstanding teachers but that probably isn't always going to be the case any more than it would be in a public school setting.

All of us have different strengths. Some are blessed with many Bible studies and some are not. That may in part be "because " you are a good teacher. But perhaps it's unrealistic to assume that everyone has that same ability and that sending the kids off to public school every day isn't without misgivings. And I can definitely see, in view of the ever increasing educational emphasis on evolution and political correctness, that some parents might want to homeschool in the future. It boils down to it being a personal choice, but one that requires a lot of thought, based on your individual child's personality, learning ability, your teaching ability, the quality of education your child will receive in whichever situation you choose, what kind of work will be available to that child upon graduation, etc. And of course, it involves a lot of work and a major time commitment.

Personally, I would love to see this thread get back to the original question and not a debate as to whose choice is better.

Warm regards and words of encouragement to all who are raising children in this world gone mad. Since my sons are all grown, now, i can look back and wish some of my choices had been different. Kudos to you parents for utilizing whatever resources are available to you. Whether raising one or many, it's a daunting task. Christuan lve to each of you, accompanied by pats on the back. YS  

Edited by kejedo

First sentence in third paragraph should have read "Could I say that about most of my teachers?" not the convoluted sentence that did show up!

Below is the original intent of this section of jwtalk. (Copied below)

However, it has become completely the opposite. Thankfully I don't rely on jwtalk for encouragement. . Several of us feel the need to defend something that is our personal choice. We have weighed the pros and cons so that is not necessary. We don't need to hear negative comments, we know this is a hot topic. We have our own personal experiences both good and bad.

However, we aren't perfect parents but Jehovah has given us the job to oversee our children's education. That is not a choice! Today's home-schoolers have so many things at their disposal. If one way doesn't work we try another. Looking back at the past and how things used to be is not helpful. We look forward with our children's education.

We don't dwell on then negative but work on the here and now. Thankfully other groups have been formed can help us to improve. We have amazing examples of current homeschoolers and how they are progressing early in all things. Especially spiritually. Some are taking the slaves advice and preparing for the best life ever. At early ages, taking college courses in nursing and other technical skills. That's the NOW of homeschooling.

It's sad that people only want to bash homeschooling and not public schooling. If anyone over the age of 40 thinks public school hasn't change in the last 30 years have their head in the sand. Parents should be on top of the education of their children especially in public school. The association is not only the bad part, it's the actual content. Recently we were reminded that parents have to deprogram their children, consider carefully what that means. Changed history, nationalism, alternative lifestyles, evolution to name a few are being very carefully injected to the students everyday lives. Not in your face injected but insidiously. A hick town type of school near me had to read a book that featured two moms! Not in 11th grade where they could take an outward stand but 1st grade. A worldly woman I work with was complaining about it. She found out about the by accident. It was not a book to read at home but at school.

Polls like this are irrelevant to modern homeschoolers and in my opinion (maybe not original intent) is now being used to feed negativity on this form.

PLEASE READ BELOW.. I CUT AND PASTED IT FROM THE FORM...

Homeschooling Support & Alternative Education

A friendly support forum for discussing educational alternatives to traditional brick & mortar schools such as homeschooling, including curriculum, special needs, legal issues, learning styles, & ideas.(Publicly visible)

Single page

Start New Topic Mark this forum as read

Well, I was referring to the original poster's question as to how those who had been through it would categorize their homeschooling experience. I guess I didn't think of her question as a 'poll.' I just thought it was an honest question from someone who is uncertain as to what choice to make and thus, it wasn't my impressions that only positive experiences were expected. My experience was not from a long time ago but was just over a decade ago so I thought it might still be relevant.

I thought (hoped) I was being diplomatic and after reading again what I wrote, still don't think I was in any way attacking yours or anyone else's personal choice to homeschool.

Who is saying that public schooling is great? No one. Just because someone is over 40 doesn't mean they're been living under a rock or have their "head in the sand" with no awareness of what's going on in the outside world. Things like you describe as being taught in the public schools have happened where I live too.

I do understand, having attempted it myself, that a certain amount of defensiveness happens when you go against the grain and homeschool and I'm sorry if you believed what I said was "bashing homeschooling." I wouldn't want to be the one who made you feel that you "don't rely on jwtalk for encouragement." That was not what I had in mind and I apologize for any unintentional distress I may have caused you.

I understand what you are saying Helen, but there was much much more uneducated, and completely incorrect things said by people who have NO personal experience homeschooling. 

As for not being able to teach your own children, I do feel that is VERY much a personal choice. Not all children are the same, so just like we must figure out how to discipline them in the way they should walk spiritually, those of us who choose to homeschool can't just be on one track either, if one way isn't working it's up to us to find another way. Many of us are very open to learning how to teach our children, and not relying on it having to look like public school at home (which is often a block to many parents). But, Jehovah made people with a thirst to learn.. for knowledge... homeschooling parents just have to tap into that with their children, and most of us feel it's worth the extra effort to do so. However, when people who have NO experience in homeschooling say very ignorant things, like you should have to go follow the public school system (one of the most messed up systems around... lol ) it's just frustrating. 

Heather is so true in the fact that the reality it is much harder to homeschool. However what is so much better than public school is we aren't pigeon holed.

Kids have bad days just like adults, some days they just do not want to be open to learning. That is the best part of homeschooling. On those days we take a different direction. My son is almost 7, just on the cusp of reading, some times we can't sit and do worksheets or practice spelling words. Sometimes we just need to sit on the bed and read. Public school teachers have a ratio of 30 students to 1. If one of those kids is having an off day she can't switch direction. She has an agenda that she is required to stick with. That poor kid just has to flow with it. I think that people have such a misconception of homeschooling that is a reason for the negativity. They think it means play all day or watch tv. Kind of like the stay at home housewives hear.... What can you do all day? For most modern homeschoolers the day is fluid.. Some may need more structure than others. We make sure individually each student is taken care of. Of course you will hear stories of kids that parents just let them do their own thing, and of course that depends on the age and maturity. I need to spend a lot time with Elijah. I will assume when he is a teenager he will not need me as much.

I am also not all flowers and roses either. Kids will absorb anything but to channel it sometimes is hard. Sometimes there are tears. Sometimes your kid reads a word 5 times correctly and the 6th time they have no idea what it is. Those days are harder than others. But we make it through. I don't make apologies for the parents in the past who tried and didn't feel they succeeded. Because they tried and the reality is every kid is different and maybe public wasn't the answer either. But also success is measured very differently. Christian parents measure success by the fact they raised Christian children who are activity serving God. That's what I am shooting for.

But I am grateful for the support that is found on the internet. The internet has brought home education out in the open. Comparing methods of all sorts. Opening the way to hundreds of types of circullum. Today's homeschoolers have access to resources that even 10 years ago weren't available. Let alone 20 or more.

That's my point from a previous post. Don't take the negative examples from others. Try it if it doesn't work try something else and so on. Let's not just throw our hands up!

I agree Heather, my idea of success is MUCH different then most people. 

I have very little things, I want. lol :) I want them to be able to read well (upon graduation, they don't have to right now!! It will come! lol) I want them to be able to do basic math enough to know how to handle their money that we have to use in this system. I want them to have life skills to care for themselves as a adult. I want them to learn what ever skill they need or want to have to be able to support themselves, in the most important thing I want for them, of being a servant of Jehovah. 

I was speaking to a Refugee from the Congo last night, as we had him over for dinner. He is NOT a witness, yet! lol But, he says he really likes witnesses, because they spoke to him in the Congo as well, and he liked that the witnesses in the Congo were different then other christians in they took the Bible seriously etc. Any way, I have been speaking with him and developing I'm hoping a return visit with him... for about a year now. (I don't get to see him often he lives about a hour away). Any way, it came around to, some of the jobs he has done here in the USA since fleeing here. How physically hard the jobs have been. And not only physically hard, but mentally hard as he didn't know the culture, the language, etc etc. And how his co-workers leave the jobs soon, and do not understand how he can be happy, even having to do such hard jobs. He says because he knows he has to work, and really it all doesn't matter, the only thing that matters is serving God. Some one who has lived through one of the worst tragedies of our current time, living in refugee camps, a lost boy, he explained to me the peace he felt when studying with the brothers in the Congo, and reading the Bible and developing his relationship with God. It has taught him to be content with ONLY his self and his relationship with God, even when he has had NOTHING else. Believe me they had nothing in the camp and when he arrived here they gave him a paper bag with a few clothes in it and literally dropped him off in our city and left!!! No contact information for help or anything. 

So in the end... the most important thing in our lives, IS our relationship with Jehovah. All the other things really are meaningless. So for me success will be... hoping that I have done all I can to help my children have a relationship with Jehovah. The rest of the "education" is only good for a little... the word of Jehovah is good for ALL things. 

I follow this sister on FB, she just posted this on FB today, it's a older blog post of hers. But, I thought so relative to this discussion. 

http://www.tinasdynamichomeschoolplus.com/2015/05/30/homeschooling-for-the-love-of-learning-does-it-really-work/

Her point is, as homeschoolers we have to work at more cultivation a love of learning rather then, becoming very dogmatic as public school system often does trying to keep up with this or that, and actually losing our children. 

Her point is, as homeschoolers we have to work at more cultivation a love of learning rather then, becoming very dogmatic as public school system often does trying to keep up with this or that, and actually losing our children.

I agree. Home school education  should accomplished 2 goals. The first is  love of learning so that youngsters can  become lifelong learners. As Jehovah's people we never put our books aside.We are always reading and learning.  The second goal is to prepare children for the world outside; to give them the skills necessary to find adequate employment so they can support themselves.

I don't know how it is in other countries, but in Canada finding employment is not easy. Often times for every job posting, there may be hundreds of applicants. As a results often the applicants that are chosen are the ones that have a formal education. It's something to keep in mind, especially if high school kids are being homeschooled.

I agree. Home school education  should accomplished 2 goals. The first is  love of learning so that youngsters can  become lifelong learners. As Jehovah's people we never put our books aside.We are always reading and learning.  The second goal is to prepare children for the world outside; to give them the skills necessary to find adequate employment so they can support themselves.

I don't know how it is in other countries, but in Canada finding employment is not easy. Often times for every job posting, there may be hundreds of applicants. As a results often the applicants that are chosen are the ones that have a formal education. It's something to keep in mind, especially if high school kids are being homeschooled.

Having been on hiring team, I have noticed that many employers prefer home-schooled children, citing that they are better at critical thinking. Of course, many employers have an entrance exam covering mathematical and verbal skills. As an aside, we, as brothers and sisters, should strive to use correct English in the ministry. Foreign language speakers with English as an additional language have a pass, but it  is a bit embarrassing to stand next to an American sister who says, "They was gonna do it." Thinking of this same sister, she says, "They was colored  people." et al. 

Yes almost every one today has formal education, and the hiring force are NOT impressed that is one reason they have hard times getting jobs. The main objective to Public schools in America is actually to make a lesser class who will be willing to work for much less! Then those who have better education! This was actually the very very reason public school was such a huge thing in the beginning. They needed more worker bees, as slavery had been abolished. So many public schoolers have really a very skewed education, To what the government would like them to have, it's a "dumbing down". Where, many homeschoolers, especially witnesses have access to MUCH more information then just text books. There's libraries for any homeschooler, and then our literature has actually been published as the equivalent of having a four year college education if you read every article. As Pauline brought out, homeschoolers have a unique quality of not being forced to think in only one direction but to actually seek the truth of information.. and develop critical as well as free thinking skills. Where imagination is often squelched in public school because the teachers do not have time for that, they are needing to only teach what can be tested! And the work force has seen where this is not very reliable... ie you run a store and you hire a employee as a check out clerk, but if the electric goes out they do not know enough math to check some one out with out a electrical cash register now. I actually was at a side walk sale once when the electric went out, and they brought out a receipt pad, and the manager said she would come back out with a calculator for the clerk to use. I said, well while you are waiting on the calculator why not just check me out first. Cause I only have one thing, and it's marked 2 dollars and every thing is half price, so that means it's only a dollar we don't need a calculator for that. And the clerk literally said to me, like I'm just supposed to trust you that 50 percent off 2 dollars is 1 dollar. NO! I have to wait for the calculator! I can't just trust your word on that! I was like...oooookay... then! wow!  

Edited by PrairieGirl

Yes almost every one today has formal education, and the hiring force are NOT impressed that is one reason they have hard times getting jobs

I am not sure that this statement is necessarily correct. To say that a formal education doesn't get you a job may be stretching it a bit.

It all depends on how well the child learns and how skillful and dedicated the teacher is --whether this is a home school teacher/mom or a public school teacher.  It depends of the economy  too. It also depends on the level of education.

Both methods of education, home school and public will prepare the  child with the skills necessary to do well in life. This especially so in the early years. Definitely a child that is starting out in school will do better one on one that with a large group.

Then a lot depends of what the student wants to do later and what path he/she will choose. I read the post of one brother on this forum who is pursuing a civil engineering degree. This requires formal education.I can't imagine doing this on your own.  I can tell you from my own family experience of my children and others in my congregation that once these kids progressed to high school, home schooling became a little harder.  By grade 11 and 12  students  that want to go to college  need to take 6 higher level courses. These are pretty complicated courses. I did not have the expertise to teach these subjects.

Anyways, I don't mean to put a wrench on this thread that promotes home school, but I think that we need to be realistic , that at some point even exceptional home schooled children will need to get some external education, especially if they want to go to college.

I am not sure that this statement is necessarily correct. To say that a formal education doesn't get you a job may be stretching it a bit.

It all depends on how well the child learns and how skillful and dedicated the teacher is --whether this is a home school teacher/mom or a public school teacher.  It depends of the economy  too. It also depends on the level of education.

Both methods of education, home school and public will prepare the  child with the skills necessary to do well in life. This especially so in the early years. Definitely a child that is starting out in school will do better one on one that with a large group.

Then a lot depends of what the student wants to do later and what path he/she will choose. I read the post of one brother on this forum who is pursuing a civil engineering degree. This requires formal education.I can't imagine doing this on your own.  I can tell you from my own family experience of my children and others in my congregation that once these kids progressed to high school, home schooling became a little harder.  By grade 11 and 12  students  that want to go to college  need to take 6 higher level courses. These are pretty complicated courses. I did not have the expertise to teach these subjects.

Anyways, I don't mean to put a wrench on this thread that promotes home school, but I think that we need to be realistic , that at some point even exceptional home schooled children will need to get some external education, especially if they want to go to college.

We aren't thinking that higher education is not necessary sometimes. Modern day homeschoolers focus on the big picture. Critical thinking and well rounded life skills. There are many jobs that require additional education, ie nursing. However, higher education doesn't mean a guaranteed job either.

I work in a hospital,as a pharmacy technician, it required a special class and then an exam to become certified. I work with college grads that have no direction. They literally can't think outside the box and it is frustrating. If it is not on our list they don't do it. Today's educational system especially in the US is setting kids up for failure. They spend their high school years preparing for more education learning to memorize and spit out facts. Then they are told you need to go to a four epyear educational system and when they get they there it's it so difficult. I have watched several documentaries that show that these poor kids just can't cut it and because of it aren't ready. There must be a problem in the educational system in the United States when it's ranked 27 in the world for that. Perhaps Canada is different, but you would think a "world power" like my country would have their act together academically.

In today's market place it is beaming more and more frustrating to hire people, because of this current practice.

The slave has made it very clear on higher education, it shoukd done with the goal of serving Jehovah not just for education sakes.

I have relatives who completed nursing certifications and mechanical engineering. They has secure goals and in a very short time they were realized. I personally know a brother in the legal department in Brooklyn that was one of the ones chosen to go the law school. It was demanding and the pressure was tough.

My personal goal is for my son to be ahead of the game, in my area there there are health care is huge, if this system would last I would help him consider that direction.

It's all about planning. Also, many courses are online courses. My sister and her husband are certififed nurses. My brother in law is an RN and my sister is a Lpn (almost RN). They took many glasses online. Probably a majority. Even the sisters at Walkill that were Lpn became RNs through online school.

We as homeschoolers want our children to be self supportive and well rounded. I love my son to death and joke that he can bring his wife home (when the time comes he almost 7). But actually I want him to be able to fully serve Jehovah and be prepared to take care of himself and perhaps a family.

We aren't thinking that higher education is not necessary sometimes. Modern day homeschoolers focus on the big picture. Critical thinking and well rounded life skills. There are many jobs that require additional education, ie nursing. However, higher education doesn't mean a guaranteed job either.

I work in a hospital,as a pharmacy technician, it required a special class and then an exam to become certified. I work with college grads that have no direction. They literally can't think outside the box and it is frustrating. If it is not on our list they don't do it. Today's educational system especially in the US is setting kids up for failure. They spend their high school years preparing for more education learning to memorize and spit out facts. Then they are told you need to go to a four epyear educational system and when they get they there it's it so difficult. I have watched several documentaries that show that these poor kids just can't cut it and because of it aren't ready. There must be a problem in the educational system in the United States when it's ranked 27 in the world for that. Perhaps Canada is different, but you would think a "world power" like my country would have their act together academically.

In today's market place it is beaming more and more frustrating to hire people, because of this current practice.

The slave has made it very clear on higher education, it shoukd done with the goal of serving Jehovah not just for education sakes.

I have relatives who completed nursing certifications and mechanical engineering. They has secure goals and in a very short time they were realized. I personally know a brother in the legal department in Brooklyn that was one of the ones chosen to go the law school. It was demanding and the pressure was tough.

My personal goal is for my son to be ahead of the game, in my area there there are health care is huge, if this system would last I would help him consider that direction.

It's all about planning. Also, many courses are online courses. My sister and her husband are certififed nurses. My brother in law is an RN and my sister is a Lpn (almost RN). They took many glasses online. Probably a majority. Even the sisters at Walkill that were Lpn became RNs through online school.

We as homeschoolers want our children to be self supportive and well rounded. I love my son to death and joke that he can bring his wife home (when the time comes he almost 7). But actually I want him to be able to fully serve Jehovah and be prepared to take care of himself and perhaps a family.

Thank you for the explanation.

Yes basically what Heather said. 

My Goal is not really college, the brothers have already told us those dangers. However, when we get closer to high school years we will be doing much as my husbands grandparents did for him, and what the YPA book highly suggest, in figuring out what exactly way they would like to see their future career go in. My husband ended up going to a electrical high school where he graduated from high school as a electrician. We do NOT have high schools like that where we currently live. BUT, we have at least 3 community colleges they can go to for free, while homeschooling. It goes towards their high school credits as well as financially free for the student to start getting college credits. However, there is not very many careers I would want them to go into that need college. Currently my husband is doing a job that does not need college of any kind. We live on a single income in a pretty good neighborhood. MANY brothers and other men where we live are jobless because they have college education, and the career they went to school for is NOT hiring, and the brother/man will not lower his standards and take a job that he didn't go to college for. Which, bluntly.... I feel is actually going against Jehovah's principles in providing for your family! Jehovah does NOT care if you went to school for X and X is not hiring... that doesn't give you a free pass to give up, sit on the couch and play video games, and wait for that market to start hiring again. ARG! My husband as I said was trained to be electrician, specifically for trains. He was a electrician for NYC transit (subway system) for 15 years. When we moved to Kansas he has not been able to get hired on the rail road here. BUT, that did not make him decide to sit on the couch and play video games til a job fell in his lap. He went and trained for a CDL (a couple of weeks) read the book, took the test passed, got his CDL, and started putting in applications. He is now a trash man... NOT what he was trained to be! lol So that's one thing I really have problems with, with people who invest a lot of time in higher education, but then when that market takes a nose dive, they are not willing to change directions...after all they went to college for XYZ, not to haul trash... BUT, that is a reason that I fell in love with my husband. Being hired by NYC Transit is also not easy. While he was waiting to get hired there (kept putting in and putting in apps) he cleaned toilets at the airport. I knew, when I found out that he had a electrical degree, and wanted to work on trains, but was cleaning toilets at the airport because that's what hired him, and he would just keep on putting in job apps for being a electrician in the meantime, HE was the man for me. HE had morals that it didn't matter what job he was doing, he would work to feed and care for himself and his family no matter what the job was. It's one of the qualities not many men have these days, even in the truth. That makes me a little sick to my stomach, cause Jehovah commands men to care for their families, not just with the occupation you trained for. Just care for your families... doesn't matter how that gets done, but we know it doesn't get done by sitting on the couch and playing video games! While your wife is out trying to clean houses or do what ever else, meanwhile come home and clean and cook for the man sitting on the couch all day too! No.. not how Jehovah intended things... lol Any way, different direction yes. But... just again, kind of those extra things that I want to instill in my children. 

Public school starts VERY young brainwashing children into thinking they can ONLY support themselves or their family if they get a higher education. And that simply is not true.