JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Watchtower (Study) April 2016 - Download

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3042 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Ok.

I just finished tomorrow's WT lesson. Question: What is the difference between "drifting away" and "drawing away"? I am not asking or saying that one is more serious than another. I did do some snooping though and I found something but I'm still a tad bit confused.

WT Dec. 15, 2013, p. 6-10, particularly paragraph 11:

""When writing to the Hebrews, Paul drew attention to two ways that a Christian might lose faith to stand firm. He spoke of 'drifting away' and 'drawing away.' A boat that drifts away from the riverbank may do so imperceptibly at first. Gradually, the gap increase. On the other hand, the man who pushes his boat away from the bank distances it by his own actions. Both illustrate the situation of some who fall prey to deception, allowing their confidence in the truth to weaken."

Now, here we go:

What I'm getting or got from that is that drifting away, though spiritually dangerous, is done without us being aware because of allowing themselves to get involved with the things of the world (and I'm not referring to serious sins here, THAT is another matter). However, what I understand drawing away is, is when we deliberately, with full consciousness, decide to, though ever so slowly, get involved with the things of the world.

Am I right? Or wrong? I need to know simply because these are beyond the "elementary things." I know there's more information in which I will continue digging, but decided to put it here anyway.

Thanks. :)

Edited by Luezette