JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Field Service iOS tip: display JW.org in two languages at the same time

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3041 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

This tip is only for those who use an iPad capable of multitasking/ split screen.

We have quite a few Arabic speaking people in our territory (a predominantly English speaking area of Australia). Many of them are not very confidant speaking English. At some point I usually show them how to access JW.org in their own language. The only problem with this is that I can't read Arabic.

I recently found an app called Sidefari (link below). Sidefari is basically another Safari. I run Safari and Sidefari at the same time, with both open to JW.org. When I come across a person who speak another language, I change the language in Sidefari to their language while keeping Safari in English. That way, as I navigate JW.org, I can compare what is on Sidefari that what is on Safari, and I always know where I am. Different languages sometimes have different articles, but the pages are similar enough to be able to work it out.

https://appsto.re/au/RE3z-.i

ea74622617a35ee4c46e19edee436129.jpg

JW.org home page

ec9b76cd4516d4fb477787c772dc41d0.jpg

The "Featured" section

Edited by niall

Hi Brother Niall,

Thanks for telling us about "Sidefari".

The newest iPads - the iPad Air 2 and the iPad Pro - have the Split Screen capability.

So does Sidefari only work on these or does it have its own splitscreen ability?

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

Hi Brother Niall,

The newest iPads - the iPad Air 2 and the iPad Pro - have the Split Screen capability.

So does Sidefari only work on these or does it have its own splitscreen ability?

iPad Mini 4 also uses Split View and Sidefari leverages that feature so it would not work on other devices. Sidefari costs $0.99, but you can alternatively use any app that opens web pages and supports Split View. For example, here's Chrome and Safari side by side:

post-2690-0-95604700-1451430377_thumb.pn

Egad! I absolutely detest being electronically challenged! I have a Galaxy 4 tablet, which has the split screen capability. I wonder if I could use that as we have a lot of Spanish in our area.

Guess I'll give it a try. The only bad that can come out of it is a smoking tablet.   LOL

Try the Language app :idea:. Some is in main language and translation in 2nd - on same page.

Split screen works too, however I don't have data plan on phone ( not in budget ) and tablet is not G3 or G4 capable.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

Hi Brother Niall,

Sidefari doesn't have split screen built in, it relies on that feature in iOS 9.

You could use another browser. I like Sidefari as is makes use of the content blockers that work with Safari.

Sidefari doesn't have split screen built in, it relies on that feature in iOS 9.

You could use another browser. I like Sidefari as is makes use of the content blockers that work with Safari.

does it work with older iPads?

does it work with older iPads?

Sidefari should work on any iPad. But, it will only show in Split Screen on devices that are capable of multitasking. So, it won't work in iOS 8 or less. As far as older iPad models, I don't know. The easiest, and cheapest, test would be to see if you can you run Safari and Notes in a Split Screen.