JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Time for a new laptop - ugh!

Been using my work laptop for everything and am deciding that might be best to get my own personal laptop and keep the work completely free of anything personal.

Was thinking of getting a MacBook Air but they appear to be a small mortgage payment to purchase so exploring a Windows laptop.  Guy I work with said the best cost effective thing is to by a laptop with a regular harddrive then install a solid state drive and its good to go.  Is this a smart way to go?  What are some good specs to have a new machine?  We will be using it for your regular stuff: internet, email, no graphic design or games.

Any suggestions are welcome.  :)

I bought a Dell over 1 year ago and a couple of months ago the hard drive crashed. The warranty covered it and they sent me a new Hard drive (refurbished I think.) I too would love to save up and get a new laptop. I have been hearing great things about the brand Asus. Might be worth looking into.

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

Buy based on built quality--solid body, nice quality keyboard, the screen shouldn't twist too much. Macbooks are very premium feeling and tend to be a little more sturdy than a plastic laptop. Macbook Pro Retina is a better value than the Air, but avoid the non-retina Macbook Pro (the one with the disk drive). For Windows laptops, look at Lenovo, Asus or Dell and don't let the price scare you, lasting 4 years is better than saving a few dollars and replacing in 2.

My 2 cents worth

Buy based on built quality--solid body, nice quality keyboard, the screen shouldn't twist too much. Macbooks are very premium feeling and tend to be a little more sturdy than a plastic laptop. Macbook Pro Retina is a better value than the Air, but avoid the non-retina Macbook Pro (the one with the disk drive). For Windows laptops, look at Lenovo, Asus or Dell and don't let the price scare you, lasting 4 years is better than saving a few dollars and replacing in 2.

My 2 cents worth

True.

I actually bought a MacBook Air last year - not the retina and was impressed with it.  The reason why I sold it was because I am so used to a Windows machine that I found things very confusing, even with using Parallels running Windows 7.  In retrospect, I should have stuck with it and forced myself to get over the learning curve. 

I should have stuck with it and forced myself to get over the learning curve.

It definitely is a large learning curve. After years of working on a Windows PC, I can say that it took me a long time to make the transition to a Mac. But you can get Microsoft office for a Mac and it will make a world of difference. I still use my PC at work and a Mac at home.

(Proverbs 6:16-19) . . .There are seven things that Jehovah does hate; yes, eight are things detestable to his soul: 17 lofty eyes, a false tongue, and hands that are shedding innocent blood, 18 a heart fabricating hurtful schemes, feet that are in a hurry to run to badness, 19 a false witness that launches forth lies, anyone sending forth contentions among brothers and a computer that doesn't work...

I have a Lenovo Yoga 2.11 that is less than 2 year old and it isn't my favorite computr. The keyboard sticks and misses letters, the screen is cracked and it's slow...
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Try an open box at Best Buy Canada or get a refurbished laptop at Factory Direct ( .ca ). I believe there are several Factory Directs in GTA area.

I missed an open box 17" Asus with 8Gb RAM and 750 Gb HDD at Best Buy last summer for $499. Price since then has been $650 on sale for 599.

Other than Black Friday, Boxing Day, computers are usually cheaper in Canada than US, even before exchange. :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

I had a quick look at the Surface Pro 3 .....Its appealing. The larger screen would make it great for the meeting. A definite consideration after my IPad bites the dust. :D

At first, I thought carrying around the large screen when I carry the mics would look silly. But now I'm use to it and nobody probably thought anything of it.

I use my Surface Pro 3 for literally everything. Business, entertainment, meetings, and even take it on stage for my talks and presentations.

CarnivoreTalk.com - my health coaching website. youtube.png/@CarnivoreTalk - My latest YouTube project

At first, I thought carrying around the large screen when I carry the mics would look silly. But now I'm use to it and nobody probably thought anything of it.

I use my Surface Pro 3 for literally everything. Business, entertainment, meetings, and even take it on stage for my talks and presentations.

We aren't all as rich as the elusive Bob.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping: