JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

London on lockdown as police face gangs armed with petrol bombs and poles on third night of riots

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4639 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

been watching the running battles on TV..world is crazy... London on lockdown as police face gangs armed with petrol bombs and poles on third night of riots

45187=2084-article-2023554-0D5A354F00000 Violence erupted in broad daylight this afternoon as rioters surrounded police vans, looted lorries and targeted shops in a series of attacks across London. Scores of police raced to Hackney as a mob of hooded youths began hurling missiles at the officers. There was also sporadic violence in nearby Dalston where shops and businesses were attacked and youths clashed with police and set fire to cars outside Lewisham Town Hall. In Peckham Rye shops have been attacked, including Clarks and Primark, and a bus has been set on fire. Transport for London said buses were not running through Peckham and Lewisham whilst the unrest continued. Other areas of London were braced for violence with workers barricading their shops in Stratford and Islington and barriers were erected outside Westfield Shopping Centre. Kilburn High Street has also been closed off and police were on the streets in Harlesden. On Twitter, users posted that the violence was rapidly brimming out of control with one person tweeting he had seen 'at least 30 riot vans and three helicopters' in Hackney. Youths were seen setting fire to cars, rubbish bins, and were also spotted setting off fireworks in the direction of police. full article http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2023554/LONDON-RIOTS-Third-night-violence-police-consider-banning-Notting-Hill-carnival.html

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its absolute anarchy in london at the moment, im amazed (but shouldnt be ) at how quick these things happen, how quick people of the world switch to violence.....the world, its simmering isnt it?

Watching it now on 24 hour news channel, so sad for the 28 householders living in apartments above the Carpet Right building. One lady only managed to escape with the clothes she was wearing and her handbag before the place was engulfed. She, like the rest, lost everything and was crying about her family photo's and her wedding dress for next month's wedding. She watched as gangs of youths walked out of her building with rolls of carpet laughing about what they'd done. This isn't protest, its organised looting and burning. Apparently, the gangs are alerting each other on networking sites via their blackberry phones as to where the Police are and where next to target and calling in more accomplices so numbers overwhelm the Police. People living above shops are terrified. Tottenham's electrical shops have been looted as have Footlocker and many other chainstores then set alight.4 areas of London are in trouble at present. Police are trying to get ahead of the gangs to tell people to shut their shops and evacuate - if they can get away before gangs set their Police cars alight. There's burning vehicles in a few streets now and the police are behind riot shields under a hail of bricks from the gangs. 2 Timothy 3:3"Last Days Critical times hard to deal with will be here....Men will be ...fierce without love of goodness"

poor people as you say Helen losing their homes and livelyhoods...

why don't they send in the army or water canons? instead of now... they are sending in police dogs and horses...poor animals

but then that might breech the rioters human rights if they got wet...

I read this in an article, and what's scary, is with the economical environment this world is crashing down and you can see this happening in other places:

Some 6,000 people in Tottenham, or 8 percent of the adult population, are claiming job seekers allowance, more than double the UK average. One fifth of those claiming are under 24.

Hardy said high unemployment, coupled with cuts in "cohesion instruments" like sports and community groups, created environments where people felt like outsiders in their own society.

"People learn to live outside the norms... where they have no buy-in to the structures we expect."

Britain has embarked on an unprecedented level of spending cuts in an effort to drive down its budget deficit, with local councils slashing a host of services from elderly care to libraries.

Haringey's youth services budget was cut by 75 percent this year, as part of 84 million pounds in budget cuts planned by the council over the next three years.

On top of youth unemployment another worry is long-term unemployment, which has also increased sharply in Britain and is described by one leading think-tank as "worryingly high."

Prospects for the unemployed — especially those with limited qualifications — are unlikely to improve soon, meaning conditions are ripe for a repeat of Saturday's unrest in areas with high unemployment and dense populations.

Britain's economy has barely grown over the past 9 months, and economists polled by Reuters see growth of just 1.3 percent for 2011 as a whole, rising to 2.0 percent in 2012.

Some, including the former London mayor Ken Livingstone, suggested the Tottenham riot had triggered pent up resentment over the weak economy, high unemployment and historically deep budget cuts that are decreasing government funding for poor communities and grass roots charities. He blamed a sense that young Britons are facing "the bleakest future."

"This is the first generation since the great depression that have doubts about the their future," he told the BBC.

I haven't seen any of this on the news here in the US.

Isn't it interesting how they try to cover up bad things that happen in democratic countries, but can't stop talking about what happens in others.

I hope you guys are all safe!

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I haven't seen any of this on the news here in the US.

Isn't it interesting how they try to cover up bad things that happen in democratic countries, but can't stop talking about what happens in others.

I think that some people would like to play this right down...a lot of these areas are by the venues for next years "2012 Olympic Games" ...I wonder how that will go...imagine it will put some off...the rich don't want to lose money...

It is crazy, we know when a single helicopter goes down in Afghanistan or a person is shot and meanwhile in the USA alone there are over 16,000 murders every year (over 1,300 a month) and 15 helicopters crashes (on average) every month.

Anyway, we need God's Kingdom soon.

Stay safe over there and use the spirit of a sound mind. We don't want to loose any of you.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Wow, I don't even know what to say to that. Crazy.

Thanks for posting.

you know some times i wonder if it is just us (JW) who are so sensitive to what is going on.......

people still does not seem to want to listen......

Visit my website: www.Hcgessentials.com

Growth Demands Change!

Thanks for posting.

you know some times i wonder if it is just us (JW) who are so sensitive to what is going on.......

I was thinking the same thing. If it doesn't personally affect them, it is just news. Almost like watching one of their violent movies. It's not real to them.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Thanks for posting.

They will listen eventually, but then it will be too late for them. We just have to keep preaching, there are still some with good hearts out there who are searching for answers.

I was thinking the same thing. If it doesn't personally affect them, it is just news. Almost like watching one of their violent movies. It's not real to them.

..talk about the God of this system of things blinding peoples eyes.....that's some major blindness going on in the world!

Visit my website: www.Hcgessentials.com

Growth Demands Change!

Why is this going on? Did London lose a sporting event? I haven't seen anything on the local news station today. BTW, what is "lorries"???

From what I understand, a man was shot by police which prompted the riots. But I have been reading alot of articles and people are saying it started in a poor area where unemployment is high, people are tired of the government, people have no money, nothing to do, and young ones have spread the news of the riots via twitter, facebook, and texting.

Similar to the muslim riots, everyday people fed up with their governments.

Why is this going on? Did London lose a sporting event? I haven't seen anything on the local news station today. BTW, what is "lorries"???

From what I understand, a man was shot by police which prompted the riots. But I have been reading alot of articles and people are saying it started in a poor area where unemployment is high, people are tired of the government, people have no money, nothing to do, and young ones have spread the news of the riots via twitter, facebook, and texting.

Similar to the muslim riots, everyday people fed up with their governments.

I thought the cops over there didn't carry guns.... Did that change recently?

there are very few places in the uk where you will not find disillusioned young people.In the last year they have seen politicions,police,priests and news services uncovered as corrupt and criminal.They need what we have at Mark:1;1. A trustworthy leader who they can respect- without that they have no moral guidance.May we use whatever time Jehovah allows to try to reach their hearts 2 cor. 6:1,2;

In a nutshell; a young man was shot by Police on Thursday. I think there was a demonstration by local people, which deteriorated when others from outside the area joined in. Since then the rioting, violence, burning and looting of property has spread, first to other parts of London, and now to other parts of the country.

A lorry is a truck.