JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Virus phone scam being run from call centres in India

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4581 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I have had 2 phone calls now from someone saying they are from Microsoft...saying I have a virus ...

of course I have and of course you are 8-) ...

I then did a search...it is a scam going around...this article says about it in UK...but I saw a question about it from someone in Canada...

"Britons targeted by cold callers pretending to be from Microsoft phoning to fix a fake computer problem

The scam always starts the same way: the phone rings at someone's home, and the caller – usually with an Indian accent – asks for the householder, quoting their name and address before saying "I'm calling for Microsoft. We've had a report from your internet service provider of serious virus problems from your computer."

Dire forecasts are made that if the problem is not solved, the computer will become unusable.

The puzzled owner is then directed to their computer, and asked to open a program called "Windows Event Viewer". Its contents are, to the average user, worrying: they look like a long list of errors, some labelled "critical". "Yes, that's it," says the caller. "Now let me guide you through the steps to fixing it."

The computer owner is directed to a website and told to download a program that hands over remote control of the computer, and the caller "installs" various "fixes" for the problem. And then it's time to pay a fee: £185 for a "subscription" to the "preventative service".

The only catch: there was never anything wrong with the computer, the caller is not working for Microsoft or the internet service provider, and the owner has given a complete stranger access to every piece of data on their machine.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/18/phone-scam-india-call-centres

We get them in Australia too.

I told the last one who called, that If I recieved anymore calls from them, I would use my whistle and blow as hard as I could into their ear. I have not recieved another one since. I was getting up to 3 a day!

Laugh and tell them you use Linux :shifty:

Ha! Perfect answer!

That and "Should I go to the doctor?.... But I washed my windows just this morning and they looked fine to me..... I don't understand, what is a computer?"

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Laugh and tell them you use Linux :shifty:

Last year, i was receiving a lot of scam like this... I decided to preach to the next caller... but then, no more calls :upset:

This was pretty good too.

Ask would you like to live in world where scams are impossible because individuals who do it are destroyed immediately?

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Unbelievable! I had just read this here and within the hour (!) I got the phone call!!

I said "You've got to be kidding! I just read about this scam! Goodbye!"

Wow! I'm in Ontario Canada... so yes, it has hit Canada now.....

Wish I'd read Jerry's response before the call.. that would have been perfect!!!!!

I've always wanted to try this approach, but have never had the nerve!

OMG! :lol1:

just to put 2 threads into one OMG! I am soooooo using that (minus the expletives ROFLMAO)

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

In the end I listen to what they had to say...just to see where it was going...I thought they were going to sell some software. But they wanted me go on my computer and I would be instructed what to do.

I then said...but I don't want to go on my computer...and I am going to have some food now...its been lovely talking to you ...byeeee

Thinking on it... if you were having problems with your computer at the time they called ...you might think..perhaps I do have a virus.

I said "You've got to be kidding! I just read about this scam! Goodbye!"

I like that ...I think I will use it ...if they call again

When I'm at work and we get a call from telemarketers I put one of my mentally challenged ladies on the phone and she tells them the insurance man is going to get her a red van, I mean a blue van, a purple van. By then they hang up. I figure she loves to talk on the phone and the only one she gets to talk to is Grumpy. They give her new territory to talk to. Maybe I'll try witnessing to them next time.:popcorn:

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.