JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Has Anyone Else Had a "Downloading" Problem Like This?

Wish we had a special "tech" section on JW talk!  A sister in my congregation is has a problem when downloading video's from the JWL app that I've never seen before, and so far, I haven't been able to help her or figure out why it's doing what it is doing - so I'm posting the problem in here, in hopes someone else may know what the problem is.

Whenever she downloads a video - it's basically a "crap shoot" as to where it will go.  She always downloads directly through the JWL app but sometimes it downloads to the app and sometimes it goes to her "gallery".  When it goes to her gallery - her JWL will not show that it has been downloaded (the cloud stays on the bottom right).  She then goes to her gallery to watch whatever happens to download there.  Some of what she downloads through the JWL app goes directly in the app and it will show the "more" button.  There seems to be no ryhme or reason for where her multi-media goes.  (She has an SD card and the JWL app is set to download multimedia to her SD card - it is doing this because I went into her files to confirm it)

The only thing I could figure out is that possible the JWL app has a corrupted file or something and she may need to uninstall and reinstall it.  Anyone else know what is going on here?  By the way, she has a Samsung Galaxy S2 tablet (8 inch) which is the same one I have (only mine is 9.7 inch) and I have no such problem with mine.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

34 minutes ago, shali said:

Wish we had a special "tech" section on JW talk!  A sister in my congregation is has a problem when downloading video's from the JWL app that I've never seen before, and so far, I haven't been able to help her or figure out why it's doing what it is doing - so I'm posting the problem in here, in hopes someone else may know what the problem is.

Whenever she downloads a video - it's basically a "crap shoot" as to where it will go.  She always downloads directly through the JWL app but sometimes it downloads to the app and sometimes it goes to her "gallery".  When it goes to her gallery - her JWL will not show that it has been downloaded (the cloud stays on the bottom right).  She then goes to her gallery to watch whatever happens to download there.  Some of what she downloads through the JWL app goes directly in the app and it will show the "more" button.  There seems to be no ryhme or reason for where her multi-media goes.  (She has an SD card and the JWL app is set to download multimedia to her SD card - it is doing this because I went into her files to confirm it)

The only thing I could figure out is that possible the JWL app has a corrupted file or something and she may need to uninstall and reinstall it.  Anyone else know what is going on here?  By the way, she has a Samsung Galaxy S2 tablet (8 inch) which is the same one I have (only mine is 9.7 inch) and I have no such problem with mine.

Try to go to the gallery and in options search of there is one that allows to not show a specific album. Then choose the jw library album (the one where the videos appear) 

Now try to download the video again and see if it works 

Just now, jayrtom said:

Try to go to the gallery and in options search of there is one that allows to not show a specific album. Then choose the jw library album (the one where the videos appear) 

Now try to download the video again and see if it works 

There is nothing that will enable me in gallery to not show a specific album, but I can delete the album.  Her JWL video's are being sent to an album the Gallery has labeled as "downloaded" so I doubt that is the problem.  If she were to delete that and redownload again, it would just go to the gallery again and the gallery would label it as "downloaded" again.

"Downloaded" is a folder that exists by default on Android. It's where the files that are downloaded from a browser go to by default.
Its strange that jw library is downloading to that folder...
Then try to open an image with Google photos and make our the default program.
Try again the downloads

Enviado do meu LG-D855 através de Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Musky said:

Does she have the app set to download to an SD card? If so, try setting it back to downloading to the device and see if the problem persists.

Yes, it is set to download to the SD card (which it is, but the downloads go to the wrong place sometimes).  If I have her download to the internal memory and that works - then there is still the problem of how to fix where the downloads go when the SD card is in.

Here is something else that may have a bearing on this whole situation - this sister is a worry wart of maximum proportions.  She keeps her tablet in constant "battery power saving mode" even though it doesn't need to be and I've constantly told her to have her tablet in that mode when she is downloading but I fear she is forgetting.  Would that make any video (especially the month broadcasts, which are longer) automatically default to the tablet's video app rather than JWL?

She already has hundreds of photo's on the card not to mention all the other JWL downloads.  I don't think reformatting the card will be an option (do you have to format a new SD card before you put it in?)

11 minutes ago, Musky said:

Can you copy the cards content to a computer, format the card and then move the data back to to it? Also, if you can swap cards and test the download problem, at least you'll know whether it's the SD card or not.

True.  She has no computer, so we'd have to find someone with enough space for everything on her card and have a card reader.  Like I said, she is an uber worry wart and probably will put up with the problem before allowing anyone to touch that SD card.  But if all else fails, I'll mention it to her.

Thanks for all your help you two!

Edited by shali