JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Star Wars released 40 years ago today in 1977!

I remember 40 years ago Wendell Stai and I took a trip to Tacoma to see some movie called Star Wars. The theater was the old fashioned kind with a balcony. If you have been to downtown Tacoma on Broadway Street you will know the old theater. The bottom part was full, so we discreetly went up to the closed balcony to sit.
The usher ( yes they had ushers still) came up and at first was not going to let us stay, but if you knew Wendell when he was young, he used his charm on her to let us stay. First thing we said to each other during the movie? "What's the force"? We soon found out!

I miss the days of the old movie theater experience! 18700006_451188635233624_632820474066052

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

1 hour ago, DancesWithWife said:

I miss the days of the old movie theater experience!

Me too: the break half-way through whilst they changed the film reel and the usherettes brought around choc-ices, ice-cream in a tub, toffee popcorn. In Nottingham there was a family run theatre called "The Savoy" with double seats! I remember watching "Star Wars", "2001: A Space Odyssey", and "Superman 1" with my dad there. Good memories indeed. Although "2001" still has me scratching me head as to what it's all about so imagine what it was like as a young lad (about 7) watching it!

What do you think to "Rogue One"? I thought it made a great prequel to Episode 4, especially as the director used stacks of unused footage from the original '77 "Star Wars" in the battle scenes in space. It was weird seeing General Tarkin in it but with Guy Henry's voice (that's Mr. Henrik Hannsen for all you "Holby City" fans!).

It's bigger on the inside!

1 minute ago, DancesWithWife said:

Still have not scene it! Will soon!

Up-to-date with new light, you are not, hmm (Imagine that in Yoda's voice; sort of loses the humour written down!) :D

Plus it explains why there was that gaping flaw in the Death Star design!

I'm a big Star Wars Fan - but unfortunately, I couldn't be among those who saw it at cinemas in 1977, because I was born in December 1977 :lol:

But my husband who is 13 years older than me, saw the German premiere as a 13-year-old kid in December 77. And today we both watch the movies together on bluray :D-  and the new ones at the cinema :popcorn:

Do you have a favorite episode? Mine is "The empire strikes back" (V).

Chrissy :wave:

I "sorta" remember when Star Wars came out. After all, it was later called a "summer sleeper" because no one knew it would be so popular. Many I knew had gone to see it when it first came out but, like was usual around here, it was only in the theater for 2 weeks. I missed it.

Later that year, since it had become so popular, Star Wars had a "second showing", something not very common, in that it came back to theaters later in the year. I did get to see it then ...... and have seen all the rest of them since.

I do not go to that many movies at the theater. However, Star Trek and Star Wars are two movies I try to see on the "big screen".

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

Star Trek and Star Wars are two movies I try to see on the "big screen".

Me too John. Love your avatar of Worf drinking his warrior's drink of prune juice!

QAPLA!

I see from your website Chrissy that you've visited the Plaza de España in Sevilla. Did you realise that this was used as Princess Pasme's palace in Star Wars? I bet your hubby did if he's a SW fan.

So how come you've visited Sevilla, Barça and Madrid but not Málaga (or Marbella)?! I'd recommend Edinburgh too as it's my favourite city in the world. It's a great place to be especially during the Fringe (festival) during the whole of August. If you're ever in Marbella then let me know and we'll meet up. There's a quite a number of us that speak English and German in our Spanish cong so you'll both be fine.

14 hours ago, Stoffer said:

I see from your website Chrissy that you've visited the Plaza de España in Sevilla. Did you realise that this was used as Princess Pasme's palace in Star Wars? I bet your hubby did if he's a SW fan.

So how come you've visited Sevilla, Barça and Madrid but not Málaga (or Marbella)?! I'd recommend Edinburgh too as it's my favourite city in the world. It's a great place to be especially during the Fringe (festival) during the whole of August. If you're ever in Marbella then let me know and we'll meet up. There's a quite a number of us that speak English and German in our Spanish cong so you'll both be fine.

Yes, dear Stoffer, I knew this fact about the Plaza de España in Sevilla :yes: Really a marvelous place - I understand why they chose it for the Padme scenes in Episode II :D

Well, Málaga indeed is on my list of places I still want to visit in future (I have sooo many of them), but as you might realize from my website, my heart belongs to Barcelona. :wub::wub:

To Madrid we only went for visiting a colleague who was sent there from our company for 2 years. Sevilla was our own choice, we spent one week there last year. GREAT PLACE !!!

Thank you also for the hint concerning Edinburgh - I´ll put it on my list! >:D< If we ever come to Marbella, I´ll let you know in advance. My spanish will be good enough for a visit, I think.

(De vez en cuando voy a una congregación española cerca de aquí para mejorar mi español....). Unfortunately, my husband is not in the truth, so I only make it to visit a congregation maybe once

if we spend quite a long time at our holiday Destination - like for example in 2015, when we were in Costa Rica. If our holiday trip takes only about a week, I don´t make it to go to a Meeting :no:

Chrissy :wave:

1 hour ago, coonie77 said:

Unfortunately, my husband is not in the truth, so I only make it to visit a congregation maybe once

We can meet up after our meeting or some other time if you're over here. We are good at adapting!