JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Anti-virus security software that’s right for you.

On 10/28/2017 at 2:58 PM, NSSewer said:

How can I increase the RAM on my computer? John I have about the same RAM and specs as you but want to increase to at least four RAM, how can this be done?

Which device are you talking about?

desktop computers and laptops can get memory RAM upgrades; but tablets are a little different

Tablets usually can only get memory space upgrades like micro slot expansion cards.... but not "ram" memory.  and they basically act like just more space.  and in some situations and OS(operating systems) they are space only;  you can't even installed programs on the expansion cards;  just files.

1)  if desktop....  look for extra slots not being used.... if they are being used then you sell the old ones on ebay or something and buy all new.

2) laptops is pretty much the same as desktops:  look for slots. some have 2 slots some have 4.  some have 2 and sneaky spots for 2 more... check your technical manuals.  need to be a little more brave to work on a laptop... but they usually aren't to hard to look at the memory slots and the main hard drive slot.  just remember to take the battery out first.

Thank you for all your replies. It is my desktop. "...look for extra slots not being used..." Uhm Richard, do you mean opening the computer and going into it? That's not going to happen. I was hoping to upgrade by myself. Would I have to have the tech brother assist me. I had to take my computer apart and bring him the processor and he fixed it. I didn't want to do that again. I thought I could free up space or possible download something safe. Speaking of which...once download Razer, what do I then do to free up space? Thank you for your patient replies.

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be pleasing to you, O Jehovah, my Rock and my Redeemer."

16 minutes ago, NSSewer said:

Thank you for all your replies. It is my desktop. "...look for extra slots not being used..." Uhm Richard, do you mean opening the computer and going into it? That's not going to happen. I was hoping to upgrade by myself. Would I have to have the tech brother assist me. I had to take my computer apart and bring him the processor and he fixed it. I didn't want to do that again. I thought I could free up space or possible download something safe. Speaking of which...once download Razer, what do I then do to free up space? Thank you for your patient replies.

Well, freeing up space will not give you more RAM (unless the things you uninstall are using up RAM), but really you'll only get more "memory space", but RAM will not change even if you free up space usually. 

Only by ending tasks that use up RAM (like Razor does) will work for you really, the only other option for more RAM is physically opening up the PC and installing more. 

1)  whats your operating system?
windows 7 minimum 6 GB ram.... 8 recomended

windows 10:  8 GB ram minimum ; 16 becoming the norm

hopefully your not on vista...but vista windows XP you could get by with 4 GB ram....but thats ancient history. lol

So.... these are things you could do to revamp an older system thats getting slow.

1)  nuke.....  reinstall windows from scratch.... best option if you know how to handle wanted data and have all your license information(Belarc -scan and save to a thumb drive)... and know how to navigate all the driver update issues....

2)   run a bunch of cleaning items.

here's my list of what i do:

1)  remove start up programs
start/run/ type msconfig and press ok or enter

goto the start up tabs and uncheck every program that's unessential and you can manually run.  leave intel items/ drivers/antivirus-- you can google some items to see if you can turn them to manual.  some updating items can be turned off like adobe/ chrome/ etcetc.  they will always be back making you update...  if you want to control your computer better install Winpatrol... it pops up windows everytime something wants to change something.

reboot

2) run a system cleaner that cleans up temp folders and browser clutter.:   wise365/ Ccleaner

be aware that some auto fills could be erased... inspect the checkmarks on whats being cleaned.  if you don't have the habit of bookmarks.. your history usually is cleaned and you will lose your history.  passwords usually are not touched...but make sure.

3) antivitrus--- run a full scan.
4) malwarebytes-- full scan--- also a custom scan after and check rootkit scan

5) NPE  norton power eraser --free download. 

6) adware cleaner from Bleepingcomputers.com

7) run a system cleaner again and do a registry scan.

reboot

now defrag your mechanical hard drive.  many free ones... I use Auslogics.

if you want to look deeper...
Revo uninstaller can uninstall programs for you--- it scans for leftover items after the uninstall... remeber to check them and delete them

Ccleaner has a menu you can look thru browser items to clean or turn off unwanted items. updaters/ toolbars

it may be you need to update drivers:

Intel has a driver utility

I've used IObit AdvancedSystemCare and run thru all its tools...but i always uninstall it with Revo after.... its suspect for leaving all kinds of odd things on your system.

Then goto your manufacture website for newer drivers. 

I don't recommend the newest video drivers unless you have some program that needs it.

uninstall programs you don't need or use anymore.

Check your hardware:

hard drives can start going bad and slowing you down.  If you get the swirly cursor all the time and things start stalling...could be.

Hard Disk Sentinel has a free trial that's good(run the short self test)

Crystal Disk Info also can tell you if SMART is recording errors.

Memory... your system should have an onboard memory test... see if your manufacture website has info on that.

Blow our your system......  heat makes everything work harder and burn out faster.

If your braver pull all your connection in and out to reseat the metal connections.  memory/sata cables/graphics cards if you have one.

guess thats it....

Thank you Richard. I will need a large mug of Pero to digest and work each step you posted. LOL!! Andrej. That's how I feel! Hey but would I need to remove all my files from the processor before throwing it away or donating to a homeless shelter?

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be pleasing to you, O Jehovah, my Rock and my Redeemer."

would I need to remove all my files from the processor

The processor does not store any files, it simply runs the computer and executes the commands (well, not so simple) - the Hard Drive is where the files are stored.

CPU (Processor)

cpu1.jpg.2a3e37b4ad9af3776e23ca7b1b6d8cca.jpgcpu2.jpg.3b4928fd21c4fe6808c111d201afbc78.jpg

Hard Drive (where files are stored)

hdd1.jpg.f2e4380101823e2e2a590e718e8648d5.jpghdd2.jpg.d2e2347cd3b017a6e2e51f4def774e21.jpg

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Since I cannot read minds, I have to go with what was posted .... not what I "think" she meant - but you could be right :shrugs:

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~