JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Texas Church shooting

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2318 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I don't believe you can compare the thinking of 1975 with what's happening now. 

There just is no comparison in the way humans have become desperate, with no way out, and depression is rife.  What happened in the 1960's and 1970's set up the badness that was to follow - the moral morass that envelops all society, not just the fringes like it did in the 60's and 70's.  In hindsight we can see this.

If people still think Armageddon is decades away, well....

The lesson learned form 1975 is that wherever we find ourselves in the stream of time, we just serve Jehovah.  We are going to do it eternally anyway, so we just need to look past the date of Armageddon (cause it doesn't really matter in the big scheme of things).

Like Abraham -  "By faith he lived as a foreigner in the land of the promise as in a foreign land, living in tents with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the very same promise.  For he was awaiting the city having real foundations, whose designer and builder is God" Heb 11:9, 10

45 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

I don't believe you can compare the thinking of 1975 with what's happening now.

My point was that a lot of people thought that Armageddon was coming in 1975 and world events seemed to confirm they were right. They weren't. 

With that in mind, we need to be careful about fixating on a date or conditions. We all agree we are in the last days but if we convince ourselves that the current system won't last another couple of years then we are no different than those that thought Armageddon would come in 1975.

Our hearts tell us that the end is close, we pray it is close, we are sure it is close. We just need to be careful. That's all....

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/10/2017 at 6:34 PM, Tortuga said:

How does the brother determine who comes in and who doesn't? 

What does he do if he doesn't know the person? 

Br. Tortuga, the kingdom hall has a camera set up outside the front doors with wide angle, and 2 other cameras at the two back doors, and 2 camera's in the parking lot.  They can see who is at the front, back and side doors HD1080 with bright lights as well (they were install 2 weeks ago when we had the hall clean up).  The camera takes in night vision and day, its not black and white, but in living color.  The camera's can read a person's front and or bag tag, make and model of vehicle.   It's the sort of world we live in today.  I was glad that they are locking the doors during the meetings.  And an elder advised me if it is a stranger, someone they do not know, they have an answering machine he or she can talk into.  They know what questions to ask the person (s) outside the doors.    I just feel a little bit safer for the time being.  Perhaps down the road, things may get worse and things will change, just like in Russia.