JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Potato Leek Soup

When I first began to study in November of 1996 my teacher said the Co was visiting and she asked me if I would like to go to lunch with them. I said that I would enjoy fixing the meal and invited everyone in service that day to come to our house. I fixed roasted turkey since it was the time of the year that if you bought 100.00 in groceries you got a free turkey and I figured that I would need the large meal to accmodate the increased activity due to the CO visit. I started with a potato leek soup and the CO said he had never had leeks before. The soup was simply out of this world. Then the gravy served along side the roasted turkey was a leek and mushroom gravy. Again the CO went on about how good the leeks were. He finally wiped his mouth with a napkin at the end of the meal and said "Now I know why the Israelites were complaining---they missed their leeks. I never understood the garlic but the leeks---now it all makes sense!" I did not know what that met at the time but everyone laughed and my teacher explained it to me later. Probably one of the nicest compliments I ever had paid for a meal. IIf you have never had leeks look me up when you are in Oklahoma and I will duplicate the meal for you!

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

I started with a potato leek soup and the CO said he had never had leeks before. The soup was simply out of this world........ look me up when you are in Oklahoma and I will duplicate the meal for you!

Not likely I'll get to Oklahoma but I'd love to have your recipe if you'll give it to us! Sounds yummy. I love potato soup but have never had potato leek soup!

It's a bit of a toss up between leeks or daffodils as the national representative plant for Wales - you see both on £1 coins, etc. We deal in Antiques and we have seen Welsh military uniforms with leeks depicted on their buttons. My husband and I love sliced leeks in pies with chicken and mushrooms or chicken and sweetcorn. you have to cook them a bit on the hob first to soften them. People enter competitions around here at village shows or agricultural shows as to who can grow the biggest leek and we've seen some whoppers as cup winners. http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk/news/leeks-have-their-day-1.876132?referrerPath=home/2.2837 These are pictures in the local newspaper of one of my neighbours John Mossop, winning prizes for his leeks and my magazine call the Blinco's who win every year for Richmond allotments in town, where my sister has her allotment. Best in Cumbria though were by Brian Atkinson in Aspatria. Best in show for 47 years the club secretary reckoned:

63712=3498-Leeksaspatria.jpg

The recipe is quite simple and wonderful. First take 2 or 3 leeks and clean them well. Slice thinly the whites of the leeks. Take a bag of potatoes --i use five pound bags because --did I mention- the soup is GOOOOOOOD! I take a brand new scour pad (the dark green ones) and wash the potatoes and scrub them well with the wire pads. It eliminates peeling them and ensures getting them really clean. I take approx 3 T of olive oil and saute the sliced leeks for about 5 mins then I add a 1# package of Jimmy Dean sausage (pork sausage) and brown it off in a skillet. Into a large soup pot I put approx 1 gallon of cold water and the potatoes that have been cubed. Bring to a boil and simmer until done. Drain all the water except about 6 cups then flavor with chicken or vegetable bullion. Add the sausage and leek mixture plus 1 can Rol Tel tomatoes and green chilis. Take one package of a country white gravy mix and mix the package with about 1/2 c of cold water till completely smooth then stir it into 2 cups of whole milk then add to the pot of potatoes. Stir gently and simmer again for 10 mins. Salt and plenty of black pepper to taste. Serve with a small dallop of sour cream, chopped chives and grated cheddar cheese. This is the best potato soup. Rich and velvety smooth with chunks of potato. I also served this to Shirley McLain when they were filming a movie called Carolina at our home in LA. It wrapped up filming on Sept 1. 2001 and the World trade Center was bombed 10 days later. The movie was never released to the big screen but went straight to DVD since there was much confusion and lost paper work from the bombing. There was much talk that Shirley McLain would be nominated for another Academy Award for this movie but it was several years before it was even released on DVD. All the proof of the legal ease and terms of payments/royalities were destroyed in one of the buildings that was jet bombed.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!