JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Europe in 17 hours!

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2219 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Qantas will begin the first non-stop flights between Australia and the United Kingdom on Saturday.

There will be no stopovers on 24 March, when Flight QF9 leaves from Perth, Western Australia's capital, at 18:45 local time for London. The first trip on the so-called "Kangaroo Route" started in 1935. That journey had 10 major stopovers and 21 more refuelling stops over a distance of 20,525km (12,700 miles).

Why can we fly direct now?

The route uses the Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner, which is twice as fuel efficient as the Boeing 747. It also improves cabin air pressure.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-43453264

_100474404_qantasdreamliner-imagefromqantaspress.jpg

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

1 minute ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Are you using this for your trip?  Use your frequent flyer points to get to Perth, and then it's cheaper to go to Europe!  My sister does it that way too, plus she gets to visit me.  So for you, there is one stop-over - here in Perth :) .

Nope, flying Emirates to Dubai and from there to Europe... I used frequent flyer points  for internal flights in Europe.

Direct flights are new... I have booked backed in January.

I hope there will be some direct flights from Melbourne as well.

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Emirates is a good airline.  Really like that route myself.  I think there is talk of extending it to the east coast eventually.  When are you going?

2 minutes ago, GeordieGirl said:

Current cost is under $1300 and no transits.  Awesome way to go.  

What!??  That's great!  Prices have dropped heaps since I last went to Europe.  No transits is just a dream, hey?

Edited by hatcheckgirl

1 minute ago, GeordieGirl said:

Current cost is under $1300 and no transits.

That is cheap! from which city? to which city?

1 minute ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Emirates is a good airline.  Really like that route myself.  I think there is talk of extending it to the east coast eventually.  When are you going?

Leaving August (escaping some cold days in Melbourne) LOL

27 minutes ago, Gregexplore said:

That is cheap! from which city? to which city?

Perth to London .. the only non-stop Qantas does at the moment.

Flight centre have had Perth to London on their boards for under $1000 lately.  Don't know which airline that is with though .. probably China Southern. That's normally the cheapest.

I normally do the Perth-Dubai-London flight but last time the walk at stupid o'clock to get through transit took nearly 45 minutes it was so far.  One end of the airport to the other.

Edited by GeordieGirl

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

32 minutes ago, GeordieGirl said:

Perth to London .. the only non-stop Qantas does at the moment.

Flight centre have had Perth to London on their boards for under $1000 lately.  Don't know which airline that is with though .. probably China Southern. That's normally the cheapest.

I normally do the Perth-Dubai-London flight but last time the walk at stupid o'clock to get through transit took nearly 45 minutes it was so far.  One end of the airport to the other.

Which congregation are you from in Perth? I was in Joondanna.

38 minutes ago, Gregexplore said:

Which congregation are you from in Perth? I was in Joondanna.

I'm in Willeton now though I have been in Karratha (where I started studying)  Midland (when I was baptised) Greenmount (boundary shift) and Busselton (house move)   Looks like I cong hop when I write it down but it is over a period of 30 years. LOL

When were you over here?

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.