JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Exclusive: Pope criticizes Trump administration policy on migrant family separation

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2126 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

"Exclusive: Pope criticizes Trump administration policy on migrant family separation" -

Pope Francis has criticized the Trump administration's policy of separating migrant families at the Mexican border, saying populism is not the answer to the world's immigration problems.

Speaking to Reuters, the Pope said he supported recent statements by U.S. Catholic bishops who called the separation of children from their parents "contrary to our Catholic values" and "immoral".

"It's not easy, but populism is not the solution," Francis said on Sunday night.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-pope-interview/exclusive-pope-criticizes-trump-administration-policy-on-migrant-family-separation-idUSKBN1JG0YC

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, thebluebaron said:

The crazy thing about all this was Clinton signed this into Law and every President since has enforced it including Obama.

Double standards!

Not true, but not willing to get into possibly non-neutral territory here.  Suffice to say, the "take children to deter immigration" policy was set in place just a couple of months ago.  And it is a policy -- not a law -- and can be stopped at any time with no congressional approval needed.  President need only say the word...

Edited by Hope

I'm doing my best to stay neutral so when someone asks my take on the governments and this child & immigration policy, I say "I'm neutral when it comes to politics and I look to God's Kingdom as being the only real solution to mankind's problems. So, even though I respect proper government authorities, I don't personally favor any of them, as this system is under Satan's control and if the governments are a part of thats, what can we really expect from something that's under Satan's control?"

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

9 hours ago, cricket246 said:

I'm doing my best to stay neutral so when someone asks my take on the governments and this child & immigration policy, I say "I'm neutral when it comes to politics and I look to God's Kingdom as being the only real solution to mankind's problems. So, even though I respect proper government authorities, I don't personally favor any of them, as this system is under Satan's control and if the governments are a part of thats, what can we really expect from something that's under Satan's control?"

Great response!

I usually say, “We don’t involve ourselves in the controversies of this world, but only advocate the Kingdom Jesus taught us to pray for....”

The raging sea or society of people today is really getting tossed around, aren’t they? Reminds us of the iron and molded clay that’s not sticking together at the feet of that image soon to be destroyed by a stone cut out of some mountain. . . .

“It’s not how much we know that pleases Jehovah, but how we feel about what we know and how we have allowed that knowledge to increase our love for Jehovah.”

• 2 weeks later...

From my recollection, the teaching committee describes "iron vs. clay" as governmental authority and institutions vs. grassroots movements, and common people.  The politics can change, as there was a "right wing" grassroots movement in the US to oppose the "left wing" establishment — that resulted in a political shift in the government.  Now the "right wing" is in power, with "left wing" populist opposition.  So it's not the political disparity, but the fundamental essences of the factors that result in the divide.  Unlike Rome, which demonstrated solid authority and control, an iron/clay world power remains sharply divided and lacks the same strength and resolve.

Is this the right thread for this?