JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Atheists ramp up message for the holidays: Humbug! - News

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4486 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/13/9420141-atheists-ramp-up-message-for-the-holidays-humbug

Just as the winter season is a time when major religions to trumpet their beliefs, it is also a time when atheists spend extra energy pushing back against the influence of religion in public life, especially in government.

In Leesburg, Va., an atheist display depicting a skeleton in a Santa suit nailed to a cross caused a ruckus. The nonprofit American Atheists is putting up seasonal billboards calling for atheists to go public with their beliefs. And a group in Utah is taking the message to the heart of Mormonism.

"I think that it's just extremely, extremely sad," Leesburg council member Ken Reid was quoted as saying, "that somebody in this county who would try to basically debase Christmas like this. This really crossed the line."

The display didn't survive long. Someone tore the skeleton down by Monday night sparking renewed debate about free speech.

Another theme for the group is to remind people of "the real reason for the season — the Winter Solstice, a ‘natural holiday,’ said Annie Laurie Gaylor, FFRF co--president.

Really, debase Christmas - Clearly someone who does not know the source of this "HolyDay"

Similar article - wuicker to load - http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/12/atheists-takes-santa-monica-nativity-scenes-spots-in-park.html?track=lat-pick

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Ok, that just cracked me up, lol. Anyone who celebrates Christmas is debasing that day. The hypocrisy that surrounds that holiday and how many people who claim to be Christian don't seem to care, just astonishes me.

Last week at our meeting, they had the demonstration about what to say when asked if you don't celebrate Christmas. The young girl who did the demonstration said the best thing. She said "I don't think Jesus would be happy if I celebrated Christmas" She then went into a presentation about the pagan rituals surrounding it.

"I don't think Jesus would be happy if I celebrated Christmas"

That is going to be my new response - LOVE IT!

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

"I don't think Jesus would be happy if I celebrated Christmas"

That is going to be my new response - LOVE IT!

Good response !! I actually keep forgetting its Christmas soon... I must live in a bubble !!

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

The excuses people come up with to continue celebrating this, after you show them the truth, really amazes me sometimes. I just had a debate on facebook over this. It's hard to believe how desperate some people are to hold on to christmas. Personally, even if I celebrated it, I think I would be sick of it by now.

As for the athiests, why don't they try and get their own to stop celebrating it first, then they can righfully go after the christians. I mean come on, if they celebrate it, then how can they insult the christians for it?

The excuses people come up with to continue celebrating this, after you show them the truth, really amazes me sometimes. I just had a debate on facebook over this. It's hard to believe how desperate some people are to hold on to christmas.

It doesn't always amaze me, because people are all in it for the GIFTS... It's all about the family gathering and gift giving. They could care less about what everything means. That goes to show where people's real "motive" is at. It's not about what makes Jehovah very happy, it's about greed, selfishness and getting "things". :no: There's some great articles about gift giving on the WTL, and also the reasoning book.

Here's a thought I had as to why we don't celebrate Christmas...

Imagine for a moment that your spouse (or future spouse) had a marriage previous to your own. How would you feel if they insisted on celebrating your anniversary on the day of their previous marriage's anniversary? What if they wanted you to accept as part of your anniversary things you found morally offensive, especially if they had been established in the previous marriage? Could you accept this celebration? Would it really be commemorating your marriage, or would you find it to be selfish?

It's a well-established fact that Christmas does not fall on the day of Christ's birth. How should Jehovah feel when people choose to celebrate his son's birth on a date that once corresponded to the Roman Saturnalia, a festival dedicated to the sun-God? (see Watchtower, Dec 15, 1999, pages 4-8) And what of the many traditions associated with Christmas? For instance, the use of Christmas trees traces back to tree worship, something Jehovah hates. (see Awake, December 22, 1993 page 19) For many people, Christmas is a cherished holiday far removed from the things previously mentioned. However, it is Jehovah's view that really matters. By placing ourselves (or our Bible students) in Jehovah's position, Christmas loses is innocence and appeal and is shown for what it is: a pagan observance that must be avoided.

The difference between try and triumph is that little "umph"