JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JWLibrary etc on iPad

As I posted peviously I have just acquired an iPad mainly for WT lib use as my Android Tablet died.

As I am a "newbie" to iPad I thought that it might be a good idea to ask if there are any heplful ways of using WTLib.

Perhaps there are some hints that you have found work well ( ex how to use split screen effectively) and whether there are any other apps that

can be downloaded from the app store that you have found helpful.

I have used some Android apps that were nice but cannot find the equivalent on the apple store, or maybe I am just not looking in the right place.

Thanks in advance for the input

Edited by Musky

spelling

8 hours ago, Catalyst said:

found work well ( ex how to use split screen effectively) and whether there are any other apps that

can be downloaded from the app store that you have found helpful.

I like Notability.  Great for handwritten, typed notes, recording feature, downloaded/imports etc.  I also use Documents App that is a great file management app and has a  browser download feature.  47677BF4-DDD2-4404-BF42-6F229C9E3E89.thumb.png.a513de5a4f47b4499e950b8027c98f50.png

31E945AE-2374-4EA1-B887-92B15C5EB9B4.png

Edited by booboo

Ps. The second picture shows the screens adjusted in size but still in full dual screen mode.

The picture below shows dual screens but the right screen is not i  full mode and can be moved to either side or slid off screen quickly but can still be swiped back into view.5E492F79-151D-4BD0-AF59-964B968028FC.thumb.png.ebb3a3444b02ad0bc5469e1b572095d3.png

2 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

used to know how to split screen on ipad,

Hi Sis, you need to open either app first, (or add jwlib to your menu bar and you only need to open your note taking app first)  then swipe up your menu bar from the bottom of the screen, long press the second app you want to use and viola! 

4186B36D-F98E-4045-916B-1CA666F2299F.png

Oops forgot to say that: When you long press you need to drag the app up to the screen.  

FYI iPad 2,3,4 and iPad mini 2,3 do not have full dual screen capabilities where the second app remains in view when actively using the first open screen.  

Edited by booboo

Not sure which iPad you have, but I have the iPad Pro that I use with an Apple Pencil. This is super effective. I use the App Goodnotes because it it allows you to search your notes. And has really great organization. I also use an anti-glare screen protector for a couple reasons ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G4SA1FG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) 1. It is way less annoying when using my iPad at meetings, 2. When using the Apple Pencil this one in particular give a nice tactile sensation making it feel like you are writing actual paper instead of just sliding all over the place. 

https://www.goodnotes.com/

Edited by Brother Arellano

7 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

I used to know how to split screen on ipad, to type my notes on one side with jwlib open on the other side.  I've forgotten how. Help pls?

1. Open an App

2. Swipe up from the bottom of the screen to show the Dock.

3. On the Dock touch and hold the second app that you want to open, then drag it to the screen.

*If the App you want to open is not on your Dock open it separately so that it will show on the right side of the dock. Also JW Library should always be in your Dock.

Here is Apple's How-to guide for multi-tasking (split view and slide over) - NB, it isn't supported on all ipad models.  I spent hours trying to do the split view, only to find ipad mini 2 isn't supporting split view, only slideover view.  Urgh!

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT207582  At the bottom of each feature's description, it says which model is supported.

Hope that helps!
Thanks Steven and Donna for your replies!

6 hours ago, Brother Arellano said:

Not sure which iPad you have, but I have the iPad Pro that I use with an Apple Pencil. This is super effective. I use the App Goodnotes because it it allows you to search your notes. And has really great organization. I also use an anti-glare screen protector for a couple reasons ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G4SA1FG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) 1. It is way less annoying when using my iPad at meetings, 2. When using the Apple Pencil this one in particular give a nice tactile sensation making it feel like you are writing actual paper instead of just sliding all over the place. 

https://www.goodnotes.com/

I got the 6th generation iPad which can use the Apple Pencil. I don’t have it as I thought it was a bit expensive but if you think it is worth buying for note taking I might get it. Thanks for the information.

Also thanks for other info everyone.

Keep it coming!

The Apple Pencil is definitely a luxury item. But if you have it in your means to pick one up it has really improved the speed and quality of my note-taking and personal study. I have had mine since it launched with zero problems so far. So as something that will last for years I feel it was a good investment.