JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

WhatsApp with You?

I use " WhatsApp Business" because it works easy on my tablet. I only text my son on my phone so that app is not convenient for me. I love the WhatsApp Business. 

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

6 hours ago, Hope said:

I love the idea that Telegram allows messages from laptops

WhatsApp will do that too. I loaded the app on my laptop PC and it syncs with the phone but it allows me to message and send media from any device..

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 9/28/2018 at 4:13 PM, Tortuga said:

WhatsApp will [send messages from laptops] too. I loaded the app on my laptop PC and it syncs with the phone but it allows me to message and send media from any device.

The difference here is that WA is actually just forwarding the messages from your laptop to your phone before sending them to the recipient; if your phone's battery dies or it loses its internet connection, your laptop immediately loses all WA functionality.

Whereas in the case of Telegram and Signal, once you've linked your other device to your account, they can communicate directly with the server rather than forwarding everything through your phone. If your phone ever breaks or has hardware issues, you will lose the ability to access WhatsApp but you would still be able to use your Signal and/or Telegram accounts.

WhatsApp is nearly 10 years old and used to be a great app.

I should add to this thread that the major gripes with WA compared to better alternatives are: 
- it's been acquired by Facebook, who have been trying to find a way to monetize it by weakening its encryption--this is according to the Co-founder of WhatsApp, who recently left company (now a subsidiary of Facebook)
- it will likely include targeted ads in the future, the same way they do on Instagram (another app fb acquired)
- Facebook recently 'harmonized' their people database so that they have a concise profile on every one of their users, even if you only use one of their services or have purposely kept your fb and ig accounts detached--you may not have linked your whatsapp to your instagram or your Facebook account, but Facebook will be doing it for you soon!

The entire sound departments at our double KH each has their own Telegram group.  Besides the fact that Telegram has no ads and promised it never will, it has also set itself up as a registered non-profit with the creator vowing to never never sell itself to any other corporation or organization, with the promise that it will never try to profile its users nor monetize them

instead, it has up until now been financially supported by the mathematician genius who started it after becoming disenfranchised with how his first company (VKontakte) turned out
When FB "forces" me to use FB because I use WA, I'm O-U-T.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

We have several whatsapp groups set up. We have one for anyone who goes on ministry outside of field service meeting times to ask for a partner to work with. We have one for Brothers covering sound desk, microphones, attendants and security. Another one is used by the School overseer to remind ones they have an item on the meeting or ask for volunteers if someone is not able to cover their items.

We have a google sheet set up to cover using the carts. Anyone who has access can look to see which time slots are free and can enter their name. It also includes a section showing where each cart is kept. Each cart has a unique number so it can be identified.

I agree that whatsapp is much better as it allows large numbers in a group and via wifi doesn't use up your allowance.

20 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I love a well organized and progressive congregation.  <sigh>

Must be nice.  I shared highlights of this thread with three elders out in service this past Saturday.  Between not seeing how it was better than texting and how it would be different from the Danish brother's experience with this family in Denmark using WhatsApp for sending random pix of children coming down the stairs - and how those get to be annoying - they didn't seem overly impressed.  :( 

I pointed out that would not likely be a problem with specific service/elder/pioneer/cart groups, but he wasn't convinced.  So... we have to count on texts, finding emails, word of mouth.  I'm sure it will all be fine. :) 

47 minutes ago, Hope said:

Must be nice.  I shared highlights of this thread with three elders out in service this past Saturday.  Between not seeing how it was better than texting and how it would be different from the Danish brother's experience with this family in Denmark using WhatsApp for sending random pix of children coming down the stairs - and how those get to be annoying - they didn't seem overly impressed.  :( 

I pointed out that would not likely be a problem with specific service/elder/pioneer/cart groups, but he wasn't convinced.  So... we have to count on texts, finding emails, word of mouth.  I'm sure it will all be fine. :) 

Well the group creator can remove anyone who doesn't stick to the rules so that shouldn't be a problem