JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Travel tips San Francisco / Utah 2019

Hello dear ones,

I hope I am right here with my question. I live in Germany (Saxony), but some siblings of my grandmother emigrated to the USA and Canada in the 50s. Now they are already old, but I would like to have visited them absolutely once. So for September 2019 we plan a trip to Utah (Salt Lake City, Torrey, Monroe) where my great aunts live. Some go to the assembly in Richfield.

Unfortunately the flights to Salt Lake are much more expensive than to San Francisco, so that we first want to fly there and spend about 1 week there.

Now my question: Does anyone have insider tips for San Francisco or for cheap but safe holiday apartments?

Or are there easily reachable sights in Utah (for example in Capitol Reef National Park...)?

My wife and I travel with our two children (then 3 and 5 years old).

Many thanks and warm greetings 🙋‍♂️

David

I use Airbnb extensively ... (only superhosts) never had any problems. 

Many in my congregation use it as well.

When it comes to short, transit stays 1-2 nights I prefer hotels, anything above 3 nights probably Airbnb. 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

When it comes to short, transit stays 1-2 nights I prefer hotels, anything above 3 nights probably Airbnb. 
That sounds like good advice! I thought about airbnb too, but I was unsure. So we will try it. Thank you Greg!

Gesendet von meinem TA-1012 mit Tapatalk

If anyone is near Phoenix Az., I know of an Airbnb in Mesa in a 55 plus area that's very nice. Oh and you don't have to be in that age group to stay there! Here is a pic of me in the sunroom!ef7ff957f1e6a9d31b569042405a61d2.jpg&key=3d08991c61fa885c8fc0a1e03b9ed2c0d44b15b82b4e9c1112f5f2d3b9c0c111

The difference between try and triumph is that little "umph"

I'm not in the US. But I did find San Francisco very expensive. And the weather in July was very cold.
My experience has cheaper accommodation in LA, or even Vegas. We hired a car and drove to Utah, then south to Arizona, over to San Diego and Tijuana.
I was surprised how many outstanding National Parks are in the vicinity.
You will have a great time either way, and many memorable stops on the way.
We once drove to Yosemite from SF. Wonderful views. Half Dome, Giant Trees. Then Death Valley, then Vegas.
What I have heard is that the coastal road from LA to SF is very scenic too!
You could fly to LAX, hire a car and drive to SF then Utah, and drive/fly back to LAX.
Just a thought.

Just Older

I'm not in the US. But I did find San Francisco very expensive. And the weather in July was very cold.
My experience has cheaper accommodation in LA, or even Vegas. We hired a car and drove to Utah, then south to Arizona, over to San Diego and Tijuana.
I was surprised how many outstanding National Parks are in the vicinity.
You will have a great time either way, and many memorable stops on the way.
We once drove to Yosemite from SF. Wonderful views. Half Dome, Giant Trees. Then Death Valley, then Vegas.
What I have heard is that the coastal road from LA to SF is very scenic too!
You could fly to LAX, hire a car and drive to SF then Utah, and drive/fly back to LAX.
Just a thought.

Just Older

Thank you, that's actually a great idea. Due to the high costs and the age of our two children, we have only set ourselves a travel duration of 2 weeks. Even if a round trip SF - L.A. - Vegas - Salt Lake would have been the nicer option. In the end we also had to delete L.A. from the list, so that the beautiful Scenic Drive of SF is cancelled. Therefore we want to take about 5 days for San Francisco and 9 days for Utah.

Gesendet von meinem TA-1012 mit Tapatalk

Tony is right, SF is always cold. I think the airport recently set up vending machines to sell fleece vests..

The TripAdvisor app has a lot of information about SF and will help you plan your trip.

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D