JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

James Ingram, R&B singing star, dead at 66

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1901 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

https://www.google.de/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/01/29/entertainment/james-ingram-dead/index.html

“James Ingram, the soulful, smooth voice behind R&B hits like "Just Once" and "I Don't Have The Heart," has died at the age of 66.....The cause of Ingram's death was not revealed.”

Our thoughts are with his immediate family, especially his brother, Br. Phillip Ingram, during this very painful time. 

I loved, loved, loved his music. Will miss his creative talent.

I just ordered his cd, always loved the song he sang with Michael McDonald, " Yah Mo Be There ",referring to " the Hebrew name of God, Yahweh " our God Jehovah! If you read why they chose Yah Mo instead of Yahweh it said they didn't want to scare anyone away! They didn't clarify what that meant but probably didn't want to upset the Jewish community. 

On 2/4/2019 at 8:23 PM, Lee49 said:

I just ordered his cd, always loved the song he sang with Michael McDonald, " Yah Mo Be There ",referring to " the Hebrew name of God, Yahweh " our God Jehovah! If you read why they chose Yah Mo instead of Yahweh it said they didn't want to scare anyone away! They didn't clarify what that meant but probably didn't want to upset the Jewish community. 

Wow, just looked this up, you're absolutely right and that's pretty amazing. Rereading the lyrics they are actually quite positive and pointing people to befriend and call on the name of God, using a form of his actual name... Quite impressive. Another reason to like older music, if this was released on radio today it probably wouldn't get mainstream play. But then again, possibly, because without paying attention to the lyrics I always thought it was someone saying "Yeah, I'm gonna be there" to someone (hearing someone say that like "yah I'm mo be there" in an accent is not uncommon in Baltimore where I'm from and in Ebonics in general lol). Was James ever a Witness or studying? 

5 hours ago, JayMusicGirl said:

Was James ever a Witness or studying? 

I don’t know if he studied or not but his brother is a witness. Notice what Wikipedia said about him:

Ingram has been married twice and lives with his second wife, Rebecca, in Reseda, California. Both are devout Jehovah's Witnesses, Ingram being an elder in his local congregation, as well as a pioneer, a person who devotes over 70 hours a month to the Jehovah's Witnesses evangelism.[2]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phillip_Ingram

Edited by Brother Jack

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.