JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Sisters, could you share some of your fav things?

22 hours ago, Doug said:

Hey Fiona !   Is this a UK thing?  Can you explain or describe 'flannel AMD'.

Hope y'all don't mind a guy buttin'  in.  👷

@Doug Oh, we love our brothers to butt in. Give us sisters, such a thrill !!!. Sorry for the 'sexist' title. Being a newbie, I didn't think the brothers would be interested in skin care stuff. But I did hear that Sir David Beckham is always stealing his wife's skin care products. MH unfortunately, merrily goes his way without any sunblock.

https://www.eonline.com/ap/news/994137/david-beckham-steals-his-best-beauty-secrets-from-victoria-beckham

You can thank Victoria Beckham for David Beckham's flawless skin.

"My approach to grooming was always to steal my wife's products," the former soccer star told 'Into the Gloss'.  I'd always been aware of how I wanted my hair to look, stuff like that, but I was also in a career where I was always outside...I had to take care of my skin because of that, but the way I looked after it was to steal my wife's stuff, because I know she has the best."

Case in point: "The first time I did a mask was pretty recently, actually," David revealed. "I tried the Tom Ford clay one, and I really like it. I very rarely have the time to do a mask, but Victoria loves to do it before she's going to bed, or when she wakes up. Making the time to go for a nice facial is important—it doesn't just make you look better, it makes you feel great as well." 

So brothers, plunge right in and have fun. In no time at all, you'll have flawless skin to show off.  

Thanks for reminding me to use a face cloth. Such a treat for the skin.  Now when is Fiona? Enjoying a home spa?

Meanwhile....

http://nymag.com/strategist/article/best-face-washcloths.html

Best silk washcloths

Tatcha Kinu Pure Silk Polishing Face Cloth

We’re already believers in the skin benefits of silk pillowcases, and dermatologist Patricia Wexler says raw silk works wonders as a cleansing cloth as well. “It’s soft enough to be good for any skin type, but loosens up dead skin cells, toxins, makeup, and anything you want to get rid of.” She explains that sericin, a protein found in silk, helps with “cellular regeneration, cellular repair, and skin hydration.” All natural and reusable, silk cloths are environmentally-friendly, too.

USD 18

Edited by M'Awan

• 4 weeks later...

All the Guardian shops were giving 50 % discount on cosmetics. I bought an Australian brand of lipstick. Pricey. $12 after discount. Made of natural ingredients. Karen Murell. Their tagline : Nothing nasty touches my lips. 

COLOUR WITHOUT COMPROMISE.

With our pure, natural formula of avocado oil, evening primrose oil, candelilla, carnauba wax, cinnamon and sweet orange, nourishing ingredients meet vibrant pigment in a beautiful display of staying power and heavenly application.

From prettied-up pinks and refined nude hues to romantic reds and powerful plums, delight in the revolution of Karen Murrell natural lipsticks.

When I went to South Korea, I foolishly didn't buy any skincare. My skin is really bad. Always oily and problematic. I'm glad you're trying their products. I bought a cleanser, an eye cream etc made in Korea from Cosway. I loved this brand. 

Hwanghansoo : Imperial Prescription Eye Cream etc.

There is a lady that lives in Seoul from whom you can order skincare at a cheaper price. But I think nowadays buying online is much cheaper. 

Let me know how you like your latest buy. I find that virgin coconut oil works best for me. Cheap and effective.

Edited by M'Awan

I've found dry skin brushing to be one of the best treatments to prevent many issues.  I've been doing it for years and it makes your skin baby soft - with NO moisturizers.  It gets rid of cellulite, dry skin and keeps everything firm.

I have lot's of brushes ranging from soft to very firm.  Typically, to cleanse your lymph glands, you always brush towards your heart, from your feet to your neck, several strokes in each area.  You can look on-line for charts if you want to do it right.  But, sometimes I go crazy and scrub myself like a crazy women scrubbing a dirty floor!  Not to get gross, but you will not believe how much skin comes off - even when you do it daily!

Your skin is your largest organ and needs to breath.

brush.jpg

(Deuteronomy 28:3)  “Blessed you will be in the city, and blessed you will be in the field.

Being blessed by Jehovah is not contingent on location, assignment or circumstances. 

16 minutes ago, Loje said:

I've found dry skin brushing to be one of the best treatments to prevent many issues.  I've been doing it for years and it makes your skin baby soft - with NO moisturizers.  It gets rid of cellulite, dry skin and keeps everything firm.

I have lot's of brushes ranging from soft to very firm.  Typically, to cleanse your lymph glands, you always brush towards your heart, from your feet to your neck, several strokes in each area.  You can look on-line for charts if you want to do it right.  But, sometimes I go crazy and scrub myself like a crazy women scrubbing a dirty floor!  Not to get gross, but you will not believe how much skin comes off - even when you do it daily!

Your skin is your largest organ and needs to breath.

brush.jpg

I've been curious about it... Any brush can work?

:bouncing:

1 minute ago, ivy said:

I've been curious about it... Any brush can work?

Yep, most any.  Just Google search "Dry skin brush."  I use softer brushes on my stomach and waist area and firmer brushes on my arms and legs.

LOL - I just noticed that one of the brushes min the pic looks green - it's just the lighting!

(Deuteronomy 28:3)  “Blessed you will be in the city, and blessed you will be in the field.

Being blessed by Jehovah is not contingent on location, assignment or circumstances. 

Great tips, Sister Lori. I also try to use a loofah mounted on a handle. Asian skins tend to be thicker, so can afford a harder scrub. Have to be careful around my thighs which has varicose veins. Also, varicose veins on my legs because I walked around after giving birth. The midwives tales about staying indoors after giving birth is quite sensible advice or one can resort to wearing compression socks. Loved them. The only way to get rid of unsightly varicose veins is through laser. Expensive procedure. 

Once I went to Bali and pampered myself with a whole body scrub. You can't believe how much dead skin cells the salon lady removed. I even bought a jar of body scrub to use at home. Hard to find a traditional balinese scrub cream in Malaysia. 

Yes, using a body brush is good for circulation. As you said, we must aim the brush strokes towards the heart. The brushes are easily available from any good pharmacy like Watson. 

Enjoy your at-home spa. 

• 2 weeks later...

I must follow your advice. ND is a Naturopathic Doctor, right? I don't know of any in this part of the world. But I can easily get information from the net. One thing that disturbs me a lot is the amount of sunscreen we have to apply to our skin. Up to SPF 50 and above. I just heard  an Indonesian sister who went overnight to a beach resort with her teenaged daughters and other friends. None of them used any sunblock at all and came back with patches of redness on their faces. She said the previous time, it was even worse with peeling skin on the faces. She said that they don't use sunblock because the sunblock just gets washed off. I told her to get waterproof sunblock and to reapply every 2 hours. She refused to listen even though she is quite fair-skinned, being of Chinese descent. 

I know an ND would always recommend antioxidants as a preventative method to prevent pigmentation as opposed to harmful physical sunblock. I know the Myanmarese used a kind of paste called Thanaka to apply on their faces but it looks so awful and unsightly.

17-8-15A-small-girl-with-thanaka-on-her-smiley-face.jpg 

Edited by M'Awan

On 6/6/2019 at 11:46 AM, M'Awan said:

I must follow your advice. ND is a Naturopathic Doctor, right?

Yes, you are correct. For many years, I've been using both olive oil and coconut oil for my moisturizing regimen.

One thing that disturbs me a lot is the amount of sunscreen we have to apply to our skin. Up to SP F 50 and above.

I found  out some years back that chemical-based sunscreen poses a risk to some people. One of the main ingredients is oxybenzone, a known endocrine disruptor.  Additionally, some formulations block the body's ability to produce Vitamin D.

Granted, I know many people who use sunscreen, but I choose not to.  At the end of the day, I've learned through experience that melanine offers a measure of protection while out in the sun.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.dermalogica.com/is-a-man's-skin-really-different-from-a-woman's%3F/ys_shave_4,default,pg.html

<Besides having facial hair, there are structural differences between men's skin and women's skin. Androgen (testosterone) stimulation causes an increase in skin thickness, which accounts for why a man's skin is about 25% thicker than a woman's. In addition to being thicker, a man's skin texture is tougher.

Sebum (oil) and its production also differ in both genders. After puberty, sebum production is greater in males than females, which is attributed to androgen secretions, which accounts for why men have longer-lasting acne. Though men have smaller oil-secreting sebaceous glands, they generally have oilier skin.>

Hint, hint BUY your own skin care. Sisters, can we recommend skin care products for our gorgeous brothers? Also any vigorous skin care regime for them. We need to pamper them. They need some TLC. errh, not too tender. They've got a tougher hide. :)

Old sun-weathered skin here. 

Masks, facials are a must! Poor brothers, probably have to be dragged to the salon. 

On 5/27/2019 at 9:08 AM, ssentiw said:

to M'Awen : Sorry I have't been here in a while, but wish to reply to your question about apple cider vinegar....yes that works just as well. I think the vinegar kills bacteria also which is why it is also used as a cleaner too....nice way to clean our insides of parasites!

Wow, I love the user name "M'awen. Sounds so Scottish. But I will have to wait a year later to change it. :mellow:

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/28/2019 at 4:21 AM, Doug said:

Hey Fiona !   Is this a UK thing?  Can you explain or describe 'flannel AMD'.

Hope y'all don't mind a guy buttin'  in.  👷

Hi Doug.

Me too, I know what a flannel is (a face cloth) but what is AMD? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/6/2019 at 2:50 PM, Brenda said:

I use Avocado Oil on my face.  It is moisturizing and lifts and tones.  Avocado is great for building collagen in your skin.  It reduces wrinkles even deep creases (like in between your eyebrows).  I use it every day (just a thin layer) and a little heavier in the evening...and leave it on  It really works.

Hi wow. This is Amazing.  Is it just the avocado oil u buy near the olive oils s?

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

https://www.n-essentials.com.au/product/avocado-oil-pure-natural-base-carrier-oil/

20190710_120752-v3-e1562741814261-570x570.jpg

Avocado Oil for Hair, Skin and Face Online in Australia. AUD10 (100 ml)

Method of extraction: Cold pressed from the fruit and seed of the avocado

Extracted from the avocado fruit pulp, the oil has a thick texture and is rich in fatty acids, vitamins and minerals.

Uses of Avocado Oil:

With its ability to deeply penetrate the skin, there are incredible benefits of avocado oil for skin. Avocado carrier oil is widely used in products for dry and sensitive skin. Rich in vitamins A, B1, B2, D and E.

Edited by M'Awan

22 hours ago, M'Awan said:

Have you tried this spread yet Sos?

34 minutes ago, M'Awan said:

https://www.n-essentials.com.au/product/avocado-oil-pure-natural-base-carrier-oil/

20190710_120752-v3-e1562741814261-570x570.jpg

Avocado Oil for Hair, Skin and Face Online in Australia. AUD10 (100 ml)

Method of extraction: Cold pressed from the fruit and seed of the avocado

Extracted from the avocado fruit pulp, the oil has a thick texture and is rich in fatty acids, vitamins and minerals.

Uses of Avocado Oil:

With its ability to deeply penetrate the skin, there are incredible benefits of avocado oil for skin. Avocado carrier oil is widely used in products for dry and sensitive skin. Rich in vitamins A, B1, B2, D and E.

Awesome thanks. 

I hear so much people say you should avoid avocado.  But they are so beneficial. 

If Jah made it.  Its good for us. 

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Yes, Sister Gabe, I just spread it on toast. Here, the Chinese chef used marmite for their chicken dish. It should taste the same with Vegemite. Strange I love V over the Marmite. But my favourite is Bovril. 

https://snapguide.com/guides/cook-homestyle-marmite-chicken/

How to Cook Homestyle Marmite Chicken Recipe

Homestyle marmite chicken involves deep-frying large pieces of chicken and then coating them with a very thick, sticky and sweet Marmite sauce. 

One should not be eating deep-fried and sweet stuff.

Chicken Marmite å¦è鸡

I was so afraid of not finding Vegemite here, I brought back 1 bottle from Melbourne 2 years ago. Actually, it is readily available in SE Asia.

Anne (W. M)

Edited by M'Awan

Advanced issues found

But they are so beneficial. If Jah made it.  Its good for us. 

•  

Avocado and Apricot Face Mask

½ ripe avocado

½ ripe apricot

Mash up the avocado and apricot separately and then mix together until you get a pasty texture. Apply to your face for 30 minutes — or as an overnight mask if you need extra nourishment — and rinse off with lukewarm water.

https://experiencelife.com