JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Sisters, could you share some of your fav things?

9 hours ago, M'Awan said:

Yes, Sister Gabe, I just spread it on toast. Here, the Chinese chef used marmite for their chicken dish. It should taste the same with Vegemite. Strange I love V over the Marmite. But my favourite is Bovril. 

https://snapguide.com/guides/cook-homestyle-marmite-chicken/

How to Cook Homestyle Marmite Chicken Recipe

Homestyle marmite chicken involves deep-frying large pieces of chicken and then coating them with a very thick, sticky and sweet Marmite sauce. 

One should not be eating deep-fried and sweet stuff.

Chicken Marmite å¦è鸡

I was so afraid of not finding Vegemite here, I brought back 1 bottle from Melbourne 2 years ago. Actually, it is readily available in SE Asia.

Anne (W. M)

I haven't used vegemite in cooking before. 

My Nana used to use Bonox. Really old version to marmite.  She would make a soup with a spoon and hot water.  I prefer vegemite with avocado on toast with tomato and cheese.  But that chicken looks good. 

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

https://www.carefreedental.com/resources/24-your-teeth/143-the-uncommonly-known-dental-benefits-from-a-small-evergreen-shrub-how-the-toothbrush-tree-can-improve-dental-health

Several studies have indicated that the use of miswak (also spelled siwak), the teeth cleaning twig made from the Salvadora persica shrub, effectively contributes to a significant reduction of dental plaque and gingivitis.

The researchers found that while the mouth rinsing protocol reduced the numbers of both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria, the Salvadora persica sticks could more selectively target the anaerobic Gram-negative bacteria, while preserving the aerobic Gram-positive bacteria. This means that the mouth rinsing solution killed both the bad bacteria and the good bacteria in the mouth. The Salvadora persica stick, however, preserved the good bacteria, which are believed to promote oral health. The aerobic bacteria include strains that have been shown to be beneficial for tooth decay, plaque formation, streptococcal pharyngitis, and oral malodor.

How Do You Use the Toothbrush Tree?

Using the toothbrush tree is simple and easy. All you do to use this natural toothbrush is trim or chew about a 1/2 inch of the bark off one end of the stick. Then continue to chew on the exposed end until the twig forms bristles, and then brush as usual, but with no toothpaste. When the bristles start to look like an old broom, usually every few days, cut off the exposed bristles, and then start again, chewing off the fresh end to form a new "set" of bristles.

Simply store the toothbrush in a clean place. If it becomes dry, it can be soaked in rose water to soften the end bristles.

A word of caution from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3545237/

Miswak chewing sticks have been found to be associated with a high level of gingival recession and tooth wear. Eid MA et al. reported a high level of gingival recession in Miswak chewing stick users. These findings could be explained on the basis of high frequency per day (5 times per day) and uninstructed manner of use of miswak.[26,27] However, Johansson et al. correlated miswak use with high level of tooth wear.[28]

Try The Miswak,Maswak,sawak,siwak | Islam; The Religion of ...

I just ordered a pair (?) of pettipants online. Our KH does permit using the AC or any windows to be opened. Many times sisters get up after a meeting with their skirt really stuck to them in a variety of ways. I have slips but found that pettipants work better. I had another pair, worn for years,withstood constant washing at home, and  wet stickiness in other places. I'm quite frugal and finally decided to replace my previous pair, after searching for the best price. It comes to a penny or so per wearing.  P.s.  I have Diatomous Earth  and do not know what to use if for. 

4 minutes ago, kejedo said:

I just ordered a pair (?) of pettipants online. Our KH does permit using the AC or any windows to be opened. Many times sisters get up after a meeting with their skirt really stuck to them in a variety of ways. I have slips but found that pettipants work better. I had another pair, worn for years,withstood constant washing at home, and  wet stickiness in other places. I'm quite frugal and finally decided to replace my previous pair, after searching for the best price. It comes to a penny or so per wearing.  P.s.  I have Diatomous Earth  and do not know what to use if for. 

I love pettipants. Threw away my nylon slip. Hated that thing. 😁

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

I have been having hot flushes for more than a decade now. I found tempeh (fermented soybeans) good for reducing the symptoms. I take only the organic kind. It is rather expensive to buy from the organic shop. I'll have to ask the Indonesian sisters about how to make the stuff although I did find a recipe online.

82507c7c-3246-4824-80b5-ea18726e890d_Organic20tempeh20made20by20Joey-1024x576.jpg

https://lovewholesome.com/people/toying-with-tempeh

• 1 month later...

@ssentiw Wow, that's amazing, Lesli.

https://wellnessmama.com/121495/apple-cider-vinegar-mother/

What is Apple Cider Vinegar with The Mother?

In short, it is apple cider vinegar that still has the culture of beneficial bacteria that turns regular apple cider into vinegar in the first place. This is similar to the SCOBY (also called a “mother”) in Kombucha making.

.....In unfiltered organic apple cider vinegar, this beneficial group of bacteria and acids remains and creates the murky web-like “Mother.”..

I loved kombucha. By the way I'm from Malaysia, South East Asia. 

Edited by M'Awan

• 3 weeks later...

In the last place where I worked in before I retiring, my boss once told us that he would send some wise words, via whatsapp to share with his close friends every day. Wouldn't it be nice if someone send this to me. 

But so n so said.... Well they know now don’t they?

“In the abundance of words there does not fail to be transgression, but the one keeping his lips in check is acting discreetly.” (Proverbs 10:19)

• 1 month later...

http://www.thrive-style.com/2012/02/why-aged-cheese-is-good-for-you/

Did you know that the cheap cheeses you buy in the store are either “cheese product” (which is not cheese), or they have been made with pasteurized milk and an accelerated heating lactic acid process so they don’t need to “age” for as long before they can be packaged and sold (and because they’re pasteurized, they are missing many of the benefits listed below).

I generally look for cheeses made with raw milk (it’s unpasteurized and non homogenized) and has been aged for more than 60 days. Some of the raw cheddar cheeses I’ve seen have been aged for up to five years!

Why is Aged Cheese Good For You?

Benefits:

• High vitamin K2 content (important fat soluble vitamin, contributing to bone health)
  • Pasteurization is not necessary because the lactic acid formed during aging destroys pathogenic bacteria but does not harm probiotics – so probiotic content is high. Aged Gouda, cheddar, emmental, and blue cheeses are especially high in probiotics (ricotta and mozzarella are not)*
  • 8 beneficial enzymes in raw milk are kept intact during the aging process (for example, the enzymes increase iron absorption and assist fat breakdown)
  • Cheddar, Swiss, blue, Monterey Jack, mozzarella, Brie, and Gouda have been shown to reduce the risk of dental cavities
  • People who are lactose intolerant can often eat aged cheeses with no problems, as the lactose content is little to none
  • Aged cheese contains a high concentration of essential nutrients: calcium, phosphorus, zinc, vitamin A, riboflavin, vitamin B12 and high-quality protein

<*”For example, Emmental Swiss cheese contains Propionibacterium freudenreichii, a member of the propionic acid-producing bacteria family. Propionic acid nourishes the cells of the colon and has shown metabolic activity, including lowering blood cholesterol levels, improving blood sugar control, preventing the overgrowth of the yeast Candida albicans, and enhancing calcium absorption. Furthermore, it produces a growth factor that dramatically stimulates the growth of Lactobacillus and Bifid bacterium species, two important health-promoting bacteria.” – Dr. T. Michael Murray>

No wonder our brothers and sisters from the West always have a eclectic taste when it came to cheeses. I only learned how to eat cheese 40+ years ago and now only am learning to appreciate aged cheese. So flavorsome and a sheer delight for the discerning taste buds.

Anne (West M)

Edited by M'Awan

Organic apples. The normal one imported from the West are covered in a thin layer of food-grade wax, if the tree it comes from has been sprayed. Those from China have questionable safety issues. No quality control. 

Pity there is no apple orchards in the tropics.

https://www.wikihow.com/Eat-an-Apple

The skin of the apple is the highest in fiber and a compound called ursolic acid, which has been linked to weight loss, respiratory health, and blood sugar regulation

Contrary to popular belief, the "core" of apples are perfectly edible. According to some estimates, eating around and saving the core wastes around 30% of the edible flesh of each apple. Try eating the whole thing, starting at the bottom blossom end of the fruit.

Apple seeds do contain a minuscule amount of cyanide, but at levels which are so small there's no threat of affecting your health. It's perfectly fine to eat them

Edited by M'Awan

• 1 month later...

Soothing Rose Hibiscus<br />Skin DeTox Tea

Yogi Soothing Rose Hibiscus Skin DeTox Tea combines fragrant Rose Petal and Hibiscus, both used in Ayurveda to help soothe the skin, with Dandelion, Burdock and Yellow Dock; herbs traditionally used to support cleansing. Sip on Yogi Soothing Rose Hibiscus Skin DeTox Tea anytime you want to enjoy a deliciously floral tea that promotes skin health and supports your healthy glow.*

CONTAINS CAFFEINE

Each tea bag contains approximately 12 mg of caffeine, as compared to approximately 90 mg in 8 oz of coffee.

I'm taking this lovely organic tea for detoxification. It is slightly sweet so not necessary to add sugar at all. Quite expensive though. About USD 10. Product of USA

• 2 months later...

Mabel Thong Funny Birthday Card - NobleWorks.com

Recently I tried on a pair of branded thongs underwear and was quite surprised how much I loved it. I wonder if a cheap pair would feel just as comfortable. I understand Kate, the duchess of Cambridge is quite partial to this type of G strings.

• 2 weeks later...

front landscape design plans

Thai people also make drinks with the lemongrass drinks. Really refreshing. The 1st time I drank it was when I was holidaying in that country. Recently I tried one while dining in a Thai restaurant near my house. I had pad thai with the drink. The flat noodles was tasty but a bit dry. The chef should have soaked the dried noodles a bit longer.

Lemon grass is an amazing super-herb that has been used for hundreds of years for both culinary and medicinal purposes

http://planetwell.com/lemongrass-health-benefits-and-healing-properties/

lemon-grass-herbal-tea.jpg

General uses of Lemongrass

• Cough, cold & sore throats.....

Healing Properties and Benefits of Lemongrass

Lemongrass has many health benefits and healing properties containing many compounds, oils, minerals and vitamins that are known to have anti-oxidant and disease preventing properties.

The primary chemical component in lemongrass is citral which has strong anti-microbial and anti-fungal properties.

Lemongrass therefore inhibits microbial and bacterial growth in the body, both internally and externally, helping to prevent and cure bacterial infections in the colon, stomach, urinary tract and respiratory system.

Its leaves and stems are high in folic acid and essential vitamins such as pantothenic acid (vitamin B5), pyridoxine (vitamin B-6) and thiamin (vitamin B-1).

Wow, to think that for years we have been disdaining the razor sharp leaves and using only the stems for cooking. Oh, how aromatic the stems are for cooking spicy food. It adds a whole new dimension to a simple dish. 

The BEST Pad Thai Recipe & Video - Seonkyoung Longest

Ingredients

Meat - 1/2 Chicken breast, boneless skinless

Seafood - 3 oz Shrimp, large jumbo

4 oz Beansprouts                         1 Lime, wedges

2 Ozthai preserved sweet radish (approximately 2 tbs)

1/4 cup Peanuts, roasted

1/2 Shallot (approximately 2 oz)

2 Eggs                                             3 oz Tofu, fried or extra firm 

1 tsp Tamarind concentrate        3 tbsp Fish sauce

8 oz Rice noodles, semi-fresh      2 oz Garlic chives

2 tbsp Palm sugar                         1 tsp Thai sriracha or dried thai chili powder

3 tbsp Cooking oil                          1/4 cup Water

Edited by M'Awan

double column

@hatcheckgirl

https://seonkyounglongest.com/pad-thai/

Cooking Tips

1. Don’t be afraid of using enough oils. Because of the type of noodles, without generous amount of noodles, you will end up a huge chunk of noodles and you don’t want that right?

2. Make sauce in a bowl before start cooking- this is actually what you have to do any type of stir fry recipes. This way you can taste then sauce ahead- so you can fix it if you need to, not while you are cooking. Good stir fried food’s secret is high heat, so prepare your ingredients.

3.If your noodles are not cooked for some reason, no worries! Just add more water, 2 tablespoons at a time!

http://seonkyounglongest.com/pad-thai/?jwsource=cl

INSTRUCTIONS

1.  Soak dried rice sticks into warm water for 10 to 15 minutes until soften and drain completely. If you are using semi-fresh one, skip       this step.
     Chop shallot and preserved sweet radish finely. Cut tofu small bite sizes and chive into 2-inch long pieces. Chop roasted peanuts         finely. Set all vegetables a side.

2.  In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients for sauce and mix well until tamarind and sugar has dissolved.

3.  Heat a wok over high heat and add 1 Tbs of cooking oil; add sliced chicken and shrimp and cook until they are 3/4 way cooked        and golden edges, about 1 minute each side. Remove from wok and set aside.

4.  In same wok, add 1 Tbs cooking oil; add tofu and cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until golden edges. If you are using extra firm tofu,         cook a little longer to get more harden outer skin- that will prevent from breaking.

Sorry I accidentally posted it before I had  finished editing it. 

INSTRUCTIONS

1.  Soak dried rice sticks into warm water for 10 to 15 minutes until soften and drain completely. If you are using semi-fresh ones,             skip this step.

Dice shallots and preserved sweet radish finely. Cut tofu small bite sizes and chives into 2-inch long pieces. 

Chop roasted peanuts finely. Set all vegetables aside.

2.  In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients for sauce and mix well until tamarind and sugar have dissolved.

3.  Heat a wok over high heat and add 1 Tbs of cooking oil; add sliced chicken and shrimp and cook until they are 3/4                                   cooked and edges are golden, about 1 minute each side. Remove from wok and set aside.

4.  In same wok, add 1 Tbs cooking oil; add tofu and cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until edges are golden. If you are using extra firm               tofu, cook a little longer to harden outer skin- that will prevent it from breaking.

5.  Add chopped shallot and radish. Stir fry everything together about 1 to 2 minutes. Add noodles and sauce we made earlier.                   Stir fry until noodle absorbed the  sauce completely and no more liquid on bottom of wok, about 2 to 3 minutes. If the noodles are       cooking slowly, add more water 2 Tbs at a time. If your noodles are sticking together too much, add 1 Tbs oil at a time.

6.  Push everything to side of wok to make room for eggs. Add a bit more oil and crack 2 eggs right into wok.  Don’t scramble yet, let        them cook half way through. Then break yolks and start scrambling. This way you will have nice bite size pieces of eggs. Now              mix scrambled eggs and noodles together by tossing and stirring.

7.  Now add beansprouts, garlic chive, peanuts, chicken and shrimp. Toss everything together for about 1 minutes. Remove from               heat and transfer to a serving plate

8.  Serve with chopped peanuts roasted chilli flakes and lime.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm one of those rare sisters who loves football (soccer) & as an Aston Villa fan one of my favourite things is going to Villa Park to watch games.

I sure am missing the football at the moment! 

Any other her sisters on here who love watching sport? I like cricket, rugby & tennis too.

Edited by Julie

Some minds are like concrete ...all mixed up and permanently set! 😁