Jump to content
JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Is tableware made of Melamine safe?


Recommended Posts

I'm interested in replacing all the food and beverage equipment that is being used with the new ones made of melamine.

 

Since I only lived together with my very old mother. and the closest family member who often comes to my house is my niece who is only 7 years old. 

Small children and elderly people are prone to accidents. therefore melamine tableware looks ideal since it can hardly break. 

 

But there are many pros and cons about the benefits of using cooking utensils from melamine. (some say melamine can spread a little poison if used for cooking at too high of temperature). 

 

I've searched this topic in this website but it's empty. so this seems like a new topic.

 

 

300319 (sab) 03.jpg


Edited by tuntun
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Tuntun,

 

This is an interesting question. I really didn’t know much about melamine dish ware and such except that you could throw it on a floor and it probably wouldn’t break.  I can see the advantages of light weight for the elderly and the unbreakability for the kids.  After reading about the disadvantages from not being able to use the microwave or anything really hot in them without the poison leaching out into your food and thus into your body, I wouldn’t for myself use them.  It is really bad for children.  Right now I have don’t have any of the products that contain melamine.  I also don’t have kids or elderly (except for my hubby and I) to worry about.  

 

In the process of researching this, I found a lot of websites that lean more towards an organic lifestyle really didn’t like them in any way at all.  They did mention several other products.  Products made from bamboo and silicone but they also have their pros and cons.  There is one product they mentioned that was made out of wheat straw fiber.  It is non-toxic and healthy material,  environmentally  friendly, microwave safe, lightweight & very durable.  They don’t have all the colors and patterns that you can get with melamine products but I like the plain solid colors.  I found several different companies that sell plates, bowls, cups, and other utensils made out of wheat straw on amazon.  

 

 I think that I might get a set for myself so that I can have some more durable/lightweight stuff if some company drops on by.  :)  Hope this helps out.  

 

https://www.fda.gov/food/resourcesforyou/consumers/ucm199525.htm

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sunflower said:

There is one product they mentioned that was made out of wheat straw fiber.  ....  I found several different companies that sell plates, bowls, cups, and other utensils made out of wheat straw on Amazon.  

 

Do you have any links for the dishes?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sunflower said:

This is an interesting question. I really didn’t know much about melamine dish ware and such except that you could throw it on a floor and it probably wouldn’t break.  I can see the advantages of light weight for the elderly and the unbreakability for the kids.  After reading about the disadvantages from not being able to use the microwave or anything really hot in them without the poison leaching out into your food and thus into your body, I wouldn’t for myself use them.  It is really bad for children.  Right now I have don’t have any of the products that contain melamine.  I also don’t have kids or elderly (except for my hubby and I) to worry about.  

 

Thank you for the post. I just found out that there are eating utensils made from straw fiber whose strength matches melamine but can be used in microwaves but without causing side effects to health.

 

This type of tableware is not yet available in many places. but it is available at online shopping. I will research a lot about this. we have been using melamine without ever putting it in the microwave. so I think it's quite safe to use melamine just as a place to put warm food.

 

20 minutes ago, Qapla said:

 

Do you have any links for the dishes?

https://www.amazon.com/Degradable-Lightweight-Unbreakable-Non-toxin-Dishwasher/dp/B07GDJ7H5G


Edited by tuntun
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I searched it seems all over the world. I can’t find just a store that carries a set but on amazon you can find some individuals pieces. Most of wh at I found were for kids. There is interesting Benito boxes and some kitchen stuff. Even found toothbrushes and soap dishes. Quite an  interesting product. Here is a link to an 8 inch plate set.  From there you can hunt down bowls, cups, cute small relish type bowls too. 

 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MCSRTJW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_82UQCb515RWG1

 

Here is some more interesting articles on melamine. 

 

https://www.superfoodly.com/what-is-melamine/

 

https://labdoor.com/article/melamine-an-in-depth-look-at-the-toxic-chemical-in-our-kitchen

 

I think it might be okay to place the food on that you will eat as long as you eat it up soon. They did find between people using melamine bowls with hot soup and who didn’t, excreted 8x more of the poison. I make big meals for the week and then use the microwave to heat them up individually so the microwave comes in handy to be able to reheat. I’ll keep researching and let you know if I find anything interesting.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/6/2019 at 10:02 AM, Qapla said:

Apparently, if you eat/consume the melamine, it could eventually lead to kidney problems. However, if you eat off of melamine, as in using melamine plates, this danger does not exist.

 

I haven’t chew up a melamine dishes or had a chocolate malted melamine milkshake lately as I don’t have a good constitution or the great teeth of a Klingon.  :drink:  At least not yet.  (:P)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Sunflower said:

I think it might be okay to place the food on that you will eat as long as you eat it up soon. They did find between people using melamine bowls with hot soup and who didn’t, excreted 8x more of the poison. I make big meals for the week and then use the microwave to heat them up individually so the microwave comes in handy to be able to reheat. I’ll keep researching and let you know if I find anything interesting.  

I've tried searching for cutlery made from straw fiber like you said but it's hard to find which is a local product. whereas most imported products are made from China. I was a little hesitant about buying food equipment made in China.

I think using food equipment made from melamine is quite safe as long as it is used in conditions that meet the requirements. Since the best melamine can be used to serve food -20 c (- 4 F) until +120 c (248 F).  This is suitable for serving most of the food menu. Plus a plate or bowl made of melamine still feels cool when is held even though we are eating hot soup on it.

The melamine products that we are using are the best local products that are certified by the US FDA and Europe EFSA. and often exported to foreign countries.

 

I've been eating using the melamine products for years, I have no health problems with that. maybe the one giving a bad name to melamine is fake melamine products that doesn't have food grade labels and are usually made of formaldehyde which is commonly used for the manufacture of electrical equipment.


Edited by tuntun
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't have much melamine crockery in my cupboard because I do reheat food using a microwave oven. I usually use glass or ceramics tableware (stoneware/porcelain/china). I have a few stainless steel plates for steaming food on the stove top.

I usually buy my stoneware products from thrift shops and garage sales. High quality and at dirt cheap price so I don't have any qualms about breaking them.

1Tip I've just learnt about microwaving food

-  When microwaving your food keep it in a circle and have it hallowed out in the middle. It heats more evenly and quickly.

 

I also stir the food being microwaved, halfway during the cooking process. I steam my overnight rice by using a steamer on stovetop. Not very confident about using the microwave for reheating food unless that is if I'm in a hurry 

Happy eating.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, tuntun said:

 

I've been eating using the melamine products for years, I have no health problems with that. maybe the one giving a bad name to melamine is fake melamine products that doesn't have food grade labels and are usually made of formaldehyde which is commonly used for the manufacture of electrical equipment.

Ohhhhhh noooooo. Don’t tell me that. My husband and I run our own electrical company. We sleep with this stuff.  :cry:

 

On a serious note, I thought all melamine products had formaldehyde in it. I didn’t trust the food grade levels on any of it. I think how people get, sick does have a lot to do with your individual  immune system. In my loves 66 years and I have been with him for 43 of them he has only been sick 3 times and hit by a car 4 times while bicycling. I am very sick and almost dying every year of my life that I live. He could chew the plastic off the wires for lunch every day and be fine. Me? I’m afraid just walking by stuff that might do me harm.  :blink:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MikkiSoo said:

I don't have much melamine crockery in my cupboard because I do reheat food using a microwave oven. I usually use glass or ceramics tableware (stoneware/porcelain/china). I have a few stainless steel plates for steaming food on the stove top.

I usually buy my stoneware products from thrift shops and garage sales. High quality and at dirt cheap price so I don't have any qualms about breaking them.

1Tip I've just learnt about microwaving food

-  When microwaving your food keep it in a circle and have it hallowed out in the middle. It heats more evenly and quickly.

 

I also stir the food being microwaved, halfway during the cooking process. I steam my overnight rice by using a steamer on stovetop. Not very confident about using the microwave for reheating food unless that is if I'm in a hurry 

Happy eating.

It is hard for me to make small meals each day for the two of us. I cook the original meal in the oven/stove top in solid ceramic/stainless steel/glass/cast iron pots, pans and containers.  The ceramic ones are way cool but expensive. Have only two and took years to save up for. It took years to find the right porcelain, stoneware China set to microwave on and eat off of. 

 

Ill tell you you a funny story. In my first of many sick days with hubby, he wanted to make me one of my comfort food (canned cream of chicken soup) that my mom used to make me when I was sick with her. Great honey, thank you!  He comes back so proud with it. He sets me up in bed with it. So when I ate it, it was lumpy and in the center of the lumps it was cold and with over hot liquid. Come to find out later, he just did know how to cook even soup. He really meant well. So you are right, even cooking in a microwave can be an art to it.  Steamer is a great idea. I do not like to over cook/heat my food. I mention to restaurants all the time to not burn or over cook my food. Not embarrassed having them redo it over again. I’m the baby bear in the 3 bears story. LOL  I want it just right. 


Edited by Sunflower
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Sunflower said:

My husband and I run our own electrical company. We sleep with this stuff.  

 

We all live with electrical equipment around us. there is no problem with that. even if the electrical equipment made of solid poison will not affect our health.

It is only dangerous if it leaches off and you ingest it.

 

 you could eat off of a bowl made out of a solid poison and it would be OK so long as 100% of the poison stayed in the bowl.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Sunflower said:
 
 
 

 

I haven’t chew up a melamine dishes or had a chocolate malted melamine milkshake lately as I don’t have a good constitution or the great teeth of a Klingon.  :drink:  At least not yet.  (:P)

 

1

Seriously sister, your wicked sense of humour just keeps me in stitches! :lol1:

You do realise that those on the autistic spectrum have a hard getting their heads around satire. They tend to take things literally. 

 

Menu for tea 'break': 1 melamine plate with condiments on the side

Cutlery provided : electric saw and such like implements.

Bonus : 1 drink of chocolate malted melamine milkshake (shaken but not stirred)

Word of advice: Strong Klingon teeth and an iron-clad stomach are strongly encouraged 

Caution : Guests are held responsible for any risks due to adverse ill effects.

Likely reward: Express route to the other side. 

Event Host : Purveyor of sick jokes.


Edited by MikkiSoo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Sunflower said:
 
 
 

Ill tell you you a funny story. In my first of many sick days with hubby, he wanted to make me one of my comfort food (canned cream of chicken soup) that my mom used to make me when I was sick with her. Great honey, thank you!  He comes back so proud with it. He sets me up in bed with it. So when I ate it, it was lumpy and in the center of the lumps it was cold and with over hot liquid. Come to find out later, he just didn't know how to cook even soup. He really meant well. So you are right, even cooking in a microwave can be an art to it.  Steamer is a great idea. I do not like to over cook/heat my food. I mention to restaurants all the time to not burn or over cook my food. Not embarrassed having them redo it over again. I’m the baby bear in the 3 bears story. LOL  I want it just right. 

10

aw shucks so sweet of  your MH( I only found out a little later what it stand  for).

 

We should round up some of our husbands and send them to a brother who is good at cooking. It takes a man to teach another how to do one of the most important lessons in life. We don't want to unnecessarily hurt any fragile egos, do we? 

So in case, we are incapacitated in one way or another, our other halves can take charge. I can't expect anything out of MH though, he's being an Aspies and has a case of extreme male brain pattern. He hasn't never been near a stove since childhood! 

 


Edited by MikkiSoo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, MikkiSoo said:

It takes a man to teach another how to do one of the most important lessons in life. We don't want to unnecessarily hurt any fragile egos, do we? 

 

When I got married my wife did not cook. I taught her. I was taught by my mother.

 

So, I guess a female can teach a male how to cook and a male can teach a female how to cook ... 

 

I have four daughters - my wife and I taught them how to cook as a joint effort. My #3 daughter holds a Chef Certificate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Qapla said:

 

When I got married my wife did not cook. I taught her. I was taught by my mother.

 

So, I guess a female can teach a male how to cook and a male can teach a female how to cook ... 

 

I have four daughters - my wife and I taught them how to cook as a joint effort. My #3 daughter holds a Chef Certificate.

Similar to mysituation. I took boys home economics, my wife refused anything so demeaning. I was hired to cook (and milk the cows)  on her family's ranch. After we were married she took the bull by the horns, and coupled with a Betty Crocker cook book, soon far excelled me. Thank goodness, I was getting tired of burned water. :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been looking for a lot of information about cutlery/tableware made from wheat fiber. but on various sites it is said that this equipment is made from PP (Polypropylene) labeled food grade.

Doesn't PP name one type of plastic?

for example https://www.amazon.com/Eastel-Eco-Friendly-Dishwasher-Unbreakable-Lightweight/dp/B079CC277G

 

I know that PP is a type of plastic that is safe to use as a refilled food packaging, the original form is transparent, clear and translucent. The best choice and safe for plastic materials, especially for those related to food and beverages such as food storage, drinking bottles and most importantly drinking bottles for babies.

 

But doesn't that mean the product is not completely 100% made from natural ingredients? I think it's just a 'play' on words.

 

 

kode-resin-plastik.jpg


Edited by tuntun
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/10/2019 at 12:51 AM, Qapla said:
 
 

 

So, I guess a female can teach a male how to cook and a male can teach a female how to cook ... 

 

 

 

Sorry for overgeneralising. I was thinking only of my Witness husband and my unbelieving father. My Aspies husband cannot cook anything except instant noodles. And that is because taking part in every kind of contests (including the Maggi noodle contests) is one of his many obsessions. 

He suffers from the extreme male brain syndrome which precludes him from doing any domestic chores. So even to teach him cooking is an impossible task, one that he views as a threat to his fragile ego. Even to sub the job to another person will not be easy because he refuses to go for cooking class. Being thin skinned, he views very instruction as an opportunity to go on the offensive.  

I quote Sister Katherine from Louisiana (Katty) I can range brothers in the order of "If I were married to him, I would kill myself" 

Well, my bitter half belongs to this category. For the last 41 years, I have been dying inside for a long time. Hope you can understand my predicament. Thanks for reading. 

Have a nice day. 


Edited by MikkiSoo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, MikkiSoo said:

So even to teach him cooking is an impossible task, one that he views as a threat to his fragile ego.

 

Perhaps you could point out to him that most of the world's best known chefs are MEN

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation with your brothers and sisters!


You can post now, and then we will take you to the membership application. If you are already a member, sign in now to post with your existing account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 22.12.4 (changelog)