JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Pagan mom challenges Bibles in North Carolina school

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4472 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I read this article with only mild interest but really perked up at the so-called pagan mother's final quote in which she said:

"Many Christians have stood up and said they agree with me too," Strivelli said. "Because, as much as they may like the Bible, they don't want Jehovah's Witnesses coming in with Watch Tower (magazines) or Catholics coming in and having them pray the Rosary."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/01/18/pagan-mom-challenges-bibles-in-north-carolina-school/

When we visit OBX (Outer Banks, NC), the congs out there ask that we DO NOT come to their meetings. They get so much problems from the local people, as well as local law enforcement. From our understanding, when it comes to JW's there, it is a different country. So this article, coming from N.C. is understandable, especially the last comment. However, it is not like that everywhere!

I have no idea why or what happened, but the elders have explained that they have had problems in the past from the community. Plus, the hall is not that big, and when a bunch of us goes, it's usually about 30-40 of us!! That's a pretty good size group. So we have gotten accustomed to having meetings at the homes we are renting. It's awesome! Having a meeting in that type of setting is so relaxing. Everyone is loosened up a bit. Everyone is comfortable. I think I might have to plan that sometime this year or next. Hmmm.... Anyone wanna go to OBX?

When my wife and her family w/ friends visited, half of them went to the KH. They were stopped before they even got inside and told No. Go back.

Okaaaaayyyy... Wow. They may need some help over there.

Was it just one cong. or is it several that have this policy?

I haven't been there since 1997, so maybe things have been straightened out since. I don't know the full details, except we don't pack our meeting clothes when we go, but we do take our meeting books.

Are we sure they were a real congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses? What I wonder is if it didn't become apostate.

There are procedures in place that prevent entire congregations from turning apostate. Brothers come from out of town to give talks all the time and these brothers would report anything suspicious. The CO comes every six months and stay with the congregation for a week.

In addition to our own checks and balances, there are legal and paperwork procedures that ensure wayward brothers cannot take over a congregation.