JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

House Dance

Another style I like. It was a later and more modern off shoot of styles like Swing, Lindyhop and similar styles, which combined other movements from the 80s disco era as well as Latin dance styles. It developed alongside House music and was made to suit that style of music. There are a few variations of it, but it focuses mainly on footwork and "skating", though you'll find some people throw in extra break moves and such. 

(My favorite variation of the style can be seen at 2:32-4:00 in the third video)

Edited by EccentricM

• 6 months later...
5 hours ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

You are such a good dancer!

Thanks for sharing that!

Whew!  I got tired just watching you. :D

You must burn a lot of calories.

I haven't moved like that for a long time too, or for as long at least. So it was quite tiring, haha. I really need to improve my cardio.

Solid contributions to this club, @EccentricM! I went through several of these threads yesterday. Big fan of popping and breaking myself. Locking too, especially in combination with those other two styles.

What do you think of footwork? It comes from a rough environment, but some of the moves are really cool, IMO.

Please ignore the silly hat...

Hey thanks @Norbro!

Yeah it's cool stuff, interestingly some Chicago footwork was adopted into House too. I was only the other day looking up a couple of the moves intergrated (such as Erk and Jerk), just that the way they are perfomed changes a little to mesh into the House "flavour" and beat.

Edited by EccentricM

Nice one, you know your stuff :) House dancing is cool, but I am not very familiar with it. I used to have a few breaking DVDs and also a "learn to pop" one by Poppin' Pete (or, as I recall the cover saying, "Popin Pete"). It was Michael Jackson that first got me interested in dancing, must have been around 1991/2. Dangerous had come out pretty recently, I think, and I was absolutely rinsing it on my Walkman! If only I had discovered at an early age that locking was not only MJ's thing. So many years went by before I found out!

Some of my favourite dancers are Mr. Wiggles, Ken Swift, Mr. Animation, Greenteck and Crazy Legs. Greenteck is my latest discovery and he's an insanely good popper, but unfortunately his behaviour sometimes leaves a lot to be desired. Seems well cocky. Seeking great things for oneself can easily lead to bad attitudes...