JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

I have installed android 9 custom roms on my Samsung Tab A T-350 8" with May 30/19 update and just dug out my old S4 phone and updating to May 10/19 update.

Pie allows to very easily to do split screen- ok on tablet but won't use on phone. 

Using open gapps pico allows for a lot more space on internal drive - never installed a lot of the bloat ware - has enough google stuff anyway.

Not for the faint of heart.  My other tab a  P550 9.7" doesn't have a stable enough rom for it yet.

Edited by pnutts

spelling fat fingures

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

Where did you locate the program to help you re-program the Rom?

I have a Samsung Note 10.1 (2014 P600) that Samsung no longer supports, and it is stuck on Android OS5.1 (lollipop) This is the one that locked out use of the ad card. (I should NOT have run the OS upgrade from 4 (kit-kat) to 5 -as kit-kat was more sd-card friendly )

Just Older

12 minutes ago, TonyWenz said:

Samsung Note 10.1 (2014 P600)

Here is the link for your device. It may take a lot of reading before you attempt to flash a custom rom. Sometime a tablet rom may work across several models with almost same model number.

A P600 may work with a T600 rom - pen probably won't work.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-10-2014/development

Once you have done all your research then you need to copy rom version & compatible open gapps  ( recommend pico ) to a folder on your installed microsd card, You also need the twrp for your device and Odin 3 v3.xxx on your computer.

Start Odin - get device into download mode  ( power plus home plus down volume - all at same time.) once it shows download mode press volume UP button.

Connect to computer - should show connected in left pane. 2nd box down from top on choices on right browse to location of twrp file ( may say recovery tar or zip ).

Press start - should cycle through and say Pass in green. Tablet may restart on its own.  Disconnect from computer. Make sure it is turned off.

Hold volume up, home & ower button - should boot into recovery mode.  Go to wipe/advanced wipe. check Davik, cache, data, system  ( noticed the is a cf auto root for the 600 if previous twrp doesn't work - then start over)

Slide to wipe. Use back button or return button to go back to original twrp screen. click install - browse to ex storage / location of rom. click on rom - install. When done go back to install screen choose gapps and install. when done go back to 1st twrp screen - choose reboot  reboot system. If it works - 1st start up will take awhile. Then you have to set it up again with gmail account, app such as JW lib, etc.

the 605 will not work. different processor  read read read  601 should

Edited by pnutts

added comment.

1 hour ago, TonyWenz said:

Should I wait for the new one, or just go with what is there. Cause if I 'brick: it I'll need to buy a new tablet.

Just Older emoji856.png

It was a joke.... current technology is sufficient, no need to wait for better.

I just wish iPad had a micro sd slot.....:whistling:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

2 hours ago, New World Explorer said:

Patiently waiting for Android 11 Donut....  it’s gonna be sweet upgrade LOL :lol1:

I understand there is a big hole in that upgrade, definetly not for the casual dunker. 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

2 hours ago, New World Explorer said:

Patiently waiting for Android 11 Donut....  it’s gonna be sweet upgrade LOL

Sorry 11 will be R for what ever snack they choose.  10 is Q - haven't heard what it will be - maybe quackers. :bouncing:

31 minutes ago, New World Explorer said:

It was a joke.... current technology is sufficient, no need to wait for better.

I just wish iPad had a micro sd slot.....:whistling:

Get an android - I noticed Samsung has one new tablet with lots of internal space 128 or 265 with sd of 512 Gb ( if you can find a 512 cheap that is )

1 hour ago, TonyWenz said:

Should I wait for the new one, or just go with what is there. Cause if I 'brick: it I'll need to buy a new tablet.

Most the time it is just a soft brick - which you can recover from. If you hard brick  it throw it thru windows.

Just now, pnutts said:

Most the time it is just a soft brick - which you can recover from. If you hard brick  it throw it thru windows.

Yes it will pass through Winows 8.1 and nobody will notice!

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

17 minutes ago, pnutts said:

Get an android - I noticed Samsung has one new tablet with lots of internal space 128 or 265 with sd of 512 Gb ( if you can find a 512 cheap that is )

Actually I am considering one as we speak .... I like higher screen resolution - does this matter with watching movies? I only watched movies on iPad with retina display.

Would Samsung HD screen suffice? ( Full HD (1920 x 1200) touch display )

22 minutes ago, Old said:

I understand there is a big hole in that upgrade, definetly not for the casual dunker. 

It will be patched up with "whipped cream" update .... :lol1:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

1 minute ago, New World Explorer said:

Would Samsung HD screen suffice? ( Full HD (1920 x 1200) touch display )

Considering that is a good resolution - you should be fine.

2 minutes ago, New World Explorer said:

I only watched movies on iPad with retina display

I wouldn't want a display mounted to my retina. 🤓 🤕

It is Only money - your money.  Look at the demos in stores and compare. If you can live with less resolution - do so. 

Just make sure you have min 32 Gb internal storage 64 or higher better still. On a 16 Gb -unless you debloat it -

the OS and bloatware will use about 13 Gb only leaving 3 for your apps.

On my old s4 phone even with JW lib fully loaded -1.47 Gb internal and TOMTOM Go - it is only using 9 Gb out of 16. System is 5.6 & other apps 3.3 Gb.

Come to think of it - I haven't check to see how much I can transfer to microsd. Only put pie on it late this afternoon.

Edited by pnutts

1 minute ago, pnutts said:

It is Only money - your money.  Look at the demos in stores and compare. If you can live with less resolution - do so. 

Just make sure you have min 32 Gb internal storage 64 or higher better still. On a 16 Gb -unless you debloat it -

the OS and bloatware will use about 13 Gb only leaving 3 for your apps.

On my old s4 phone even with JW lib fully loaded and TOMTOM Go - it is only using 9 Gb out of 16. System is 5.6 & other apps 3.3 Gb.

Come to think of it - I haven't check to see how much I can transfer to microsd. Only put pie on it late this afternoon.

I was thinking of buying 128GB micro card, so internal storage can be around 32GB

4 minutes ago, New World Explorer said:

I was thinking of buying 128GB micro card, so internal storage can be around 32GB

I have a 128 in my Tab A 8" T-350 with only 16 internal. Running pie and pico gapps plus all my other apps it is using 10.79 Gb internal.

Seem pie doesn't allow you to move apps to external storage - however in developer mode  ( in about tap build number several times )

it allows you to force apps to default part to external and JW lib setting - media to external.

Edited by pnutts

The only thing with SanDisk Ultra is very slow transfer rate... sometimes I feel like paying more to get fast card to avoid long transfers.
How did you find transfer rate on yours? Do you transfer at all?
I have no complaints for the price.
Class 10. 100m bps read rate. No probs so far with phone.
If you want to record 4k, get the 'Extreme' line 160m bps. 292d6187ab1fd50a4accf15da3774149.jpg60f0de513e510441249b888acbed6c17.jpg

Just Older