JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

"How Does It Make You Feel"?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1727 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Level 4-5? A bit easier notation than the original notes. My son is 13. 
It’s great that he wants to learn our songs.

No, I haven’t seen them with easier notation. I’m sure someone might have produced some arrangements. But there is a release with just the lead sheets. It contains melody and chords only (as well as chords for guitarists playing with a capo).

https://download-a.akamaihd.net/files/media_publication/20/sjjsm_E.pdf

Another solution might be to pick one of our easier songs, such as song 17 or 20.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

13 hours ago, Gary910 said:

Taking your dancing to the aisleways might be taking too far.

Lol. Well yeah I do think dancing to a kingdom song in the aisles is going to far. Sure, the song does make you feel like dancing to it and nothing's wrong with it, but the aisles? Ummm, that's too much.

There's another song though, no.4 "Jehovah is my shepherd" and let me tell you...though it doesnt make me wanna dance, sometimes it makes me feel like I'm in church or something on the choir. To me it's so soulful. 

So I sing it "so soulful." It's beautiful!!

• 1 month later...
On 7/1/2019 at 8:00 AM, Luezette said:

There's another song though, no.4 "Jehovah is my shepherd" and let me tell you...though it doesnt make me wanna dance, sometimes it makes me feel like I'm in church or something on the choir. To me it's so soulful. 

So I sing it "so soulful." It's beautiful!!

Same with song no. 85, "Welcome one another"

Friends, I think the organization who planned these songs to be sung, used a choir of good singers, male and female to show the world we love each other and that yes, the music shows this by the intensity our worldwide brotherhood.  Yes those friends loved Jehovah so much and too, the music will make them want to sing out and sway to a dance.  I just don't see that happening anytime soon in our kingdom halls.  If we did and some soul came off the street or a new bible study and a visitor, what would they think? I can see tapping our feet or foot, but I don't see friends swaying in the chairs or whatever they have to sit on.  You don't see friends at conventions swaying and dancing in the aisles at assemblies and conventions (this would be dangerous, cause the convention aisles are to small, one or two or more could fall over on top of other friends and if up higher, could be flying down the next 2 levels and then there would be major problems!  In the paradise, we will be able to perhaps praise Jehovah like King David.  But I just do not see this happening in our congregations!  Now perhaps in other cultures they may dance, but I have not seen anything on Broadcast, or articles on JW.ORG, about friends swaying or dancing in their seats.  The only time in my lifetime I have seen this was back in the early 70's, (am sure they still do it now) when I was searching for "the real God, please stand up, show yourself to me,"  I walked into a church, the people were nice, but when the songs started it wasn't me singing, they had a nice choir, and one lead lady who sang.  Now she swayed and swooned, then the people next to me, started to sway to the music, some even got up to dance in the entrance , shouting Praise Jesus, God Almighty, Yes Amen!   So I joined them and swung my arms, and danced in the entrance or aisle.   It felt good, but it gave me no inspiration at all. So I left there, and finally in the late 70's, I found the truth or it found me! 

We don't want to stumble this wicked generation anymore then we have too.  People have bad thoughts against Jehovah.  It's not written anywhere, that Jesus danced at his first wedding.  Maybe one day it will come out.  But maybe he tapped his foot or clapped his hands! 

I love circle dances! At gathering’s I organise I try to teach different circle dances I have learned over the years. Like line dancing they are pretty easy to pick up and give a very group atmosphere.

I look forward to the new world when, free from the connotations of today, we will be able to sing and dance without calling to mind any resemblance to christendom’s way of worship. Satan’s world takes beautiful  things and makes them ugly by association, I am happy with any opportunity to “steal” back beautiful things (such as styles of music, haunting choirs, jazzy clapping/dancing songs) for Jehovah’s praise, as he is the source of all good things. As long as such things never outshine/detract from the truth. 

One can find fault with every practice if one wanted to (e.g. wedding bands) so at the end of the day while my own conscience will guide my decisions, one way or the other no one can advance their own opinion as guidelines otherwise we may end up like the pharisees with long lists of “do’s and don’ts”. I am sure there will be direction from the organisation if they feel we are becoming “worldly” or taking it too far. Jesus has a good eye on things I am sure.  If on a local scale, in line with cultural sensitivities, the brothers taking the lead feel the need for adjustment then I am sure we will follow their direction. In the meantime I will enjoy the wholesome upbuilding singing and dancing. Though not common in my area in spiritual contexts, in my travels I have found it in abundance, though it is still mostly outside of the kingdom hall.

On a side note I avoid the comments sections of most youtube/facebook videos as I am sure many apostates may pose as brothers in order to incite controversial discussion. Not that I am saying that is the case in the example you mention, just my way of avoiding unhappy attitudes. 

6 hours ago, Allabord4Jah said:

I can see tapping our feet or foot, but I don't see friends swaying in the chairs or whatever they have to sit on.  You don't see friends at conventions swaying and dancing in the aisles at assemblies and conventions (this would be dangerous, cause the convention aisles are to small, one or two or more could fall over on top of other friends and if up higher, could be flying down the next 2 levels and then there would be major problems!

I never stand still when singing. I can’t. I move my body. At the convention, I actually did see a sister standing in the aisle moving her body while singing,

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

1 minute ago, Hope said:

I stand still when I sing- ours is not a moving congregation at all. 😜 

I just focus on my singing 

I know you have a great voice and you are a singer. I would love to hear you singing our kingdom songs. 

On 6/29/2019 at 7:05 AM, Luezette said:

Anyway I came across an interesting topic. It was about Jesus, and what the slave said was the Jews did a circle dance, and most likely Jesus danced the circle dance too at that wedding ceremony where he changed the water into wine (boldness not from the slave).

Sister Luezette, 

Thank you for this comment. It brought in my mind yesterday, my wife and I were talking about the wedding and Jesus. I said to her I strongly believe Jesus would have danced on the wedding. :) (I might be wrong); Obviously it is almost impossible to prove it wether he danced or not but I would love to see if anywhere in our publication it is said that Jesus may have danced on the wedding. 

Love dancing to music at the hall! My grandson and I stand next to each other, and we move in sync...if they didn't want me to dance or move to the music, they wouldn't have given it such a beat!😁

"For God is the one who for the sake of his good pleasure energizes you, giving you both the desire and the power to act." Phil 2:13

12 hours ago, Allabord4Jah said:

Friends, I think the organization who planned these songs to be sung, used a choir of good singers, male and female to show the world we love each other and that yes, the music shows this by the intensity our worldwide brotherhood.  Yes those friends loved Jehovah so much and too, the music will make them want to sing out and sway to a dance.  I just don't see that happening anytime soon in our kingdom halls.  If we did and some soul came off the street or a new bible study and a visitor, what would they think? I can see tapping our feet or foot, but I don't see friends swaying in the chairs or whatever they have to sit on.  You don't see friends at conventions swaying and dancing in the aisles at assemblies and conventions (this would be dangerous, cause the convention aisles are to small, one or two or more could fall over on top of other friends and if up higher, could be flying down the next 2 levels and then there would be major problems!  In the paradise, we will be able to perhaps praise Jehovah like King David.  But I just do not see this happening in our congregations!  Now perhaps in other cultures they may dance, but I have not seen anything on Broadcast, or articles on JW.ORG, about friends swaying or dancing in their seats.  The only time in my lifetime I have seen this was back in the early 70's, (am sure they still do it now) when I was searching for "the real God, please stand up, show yourself to me,"  I walked into a church, the people were nice, but when the songs started it wasn't me singing, they had a nice choir, and one lead lady who sang.  Now she swayed and swooned, then the people next to me, started to sway to the music, some even got up to dance in the entrance , shouting Praise Jesus, God Almighty, Yes Amen!   So I joined them and swung my arms, and danced in the entrance or aisle.   It felt good, but it gave me no inspiration at all. So I left there, and finally in the late 70's, I found the truth or it found me! 

We don't want to stumble this wicked generation anymore then we have too.  People have bad thoughts against Jehovah.  It's not written anywhere, that Jesus danced at his first wedding.  Maybe one day it will come out.  But maybe he tapped his foot or clapped his hands! 

Maybe Jesus did dance, but we won't know till paradise or beyond.  But there is no dancing in my congregation.  I was also hoping (from the broadcast, that the brothers would hug each other, but they won't do that either, fear of other's (not brothers or sister's)  of being gay.  It's a sick and demented world. 

I saw nothing wrong at the International Conventions Betel families putting on dances and singing on the platform, or greeting friends at the airport.  That was a special occasion.  It was a joyful one.  I think the Brazilian was the best, but that also included our brothers and sisters from different nations.  Theirs was a culture adventure, nothing wrong with it.   Maybe in some states (USA) the congregation and can dance in the aisle, which I haven't heard or seen myself.   But we still have to be careful of what are we presenting to the world who does peek in every so often.  If you congregation allows it go for it, but be careful, your not stumbling someone else within or a visitor.

Well (did I mention this previously?), I remember during a Pioneer Seminar that song was sung, and yes some friends danced to it, and no, the C.O. had no problem with it. As a matter of fact, afterwards he approvingly said "I saw you dancing." 

I only know that when that song plays that yes, I sway to it as in dance to it. I sure do. It's such a happy song! 

Edited by Luezette