JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

"How Does It Make You Feel"?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1727 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

That song is so lively, so joyous! It just makes you want to dance! 

Actually during a Pioneer Seminar we sung that song and afterwards the brother said approvingly from the platform "I saw you dance." 

And I recall watching the video where the brother who led the song encouraged the friends (the group of singers) to move or dance some.

Well some friends feel it's wrong to dance to it, I don't. Conscience, conscience I guess. 

I cant imagine, after Jehovah showed to the Egyptians and the world at that time that He was indeed the true God, by saving his people. Then once on shore after witnessing Jehovah's hand they fell into singing praises to Jehovah. Yet what I cannot imagine is them just standing there, tambourines in hand...and that's it...no movement with their feet. I mean that woulda been ok, but really? Just can't imagine them just standing there with no movement at all. 

I did some research some time ago the subject of which I forgot by now. But as usual my mind wandered, and I looked up what my mind wandered to after finding what I needed (yes forgot the subject of that too, lol). Anyway I came across an interesting topic. It was about Jesus, and what the slave said was the Jews did a circle dance, and most likely Jesus danced the circle dance too at that wedding ceremony where he changed the water into wine (boldness not from the slave). 

There's a Facebook umm, whatcha call it...part? where a group of friends are dancing to the "How Does It Make You Feel"? song. And the negative comments are mind blowing! One brother even commented that it's resembles the Pentecost faith, that our singing should be dignified. Well it should be dignified yes absolutely, but dancing could be dignified too and indeed the friends certainly were. It was after Monday after the International Convention. 

When at the hall such as past Wednesday night that song was sung and yes I danced. Oh not like the friends seen on Facebook though I coulda, but because I didnt, period. 

Well I guess it's a conscience thing eh? 

Oh and those circle dances the Jews did and do? Wow! According to Google YouTube those circle dances are quite lively and fun!! Whew! And quite intricate! Made me wanna get up and kick my heels up but didnt because I felt that I'll fall flat on my face, lol. 

Edited by Luezette

Actually at our meeting our Chairman encouraged us to Move and Dance a little as well.

My little girl was waving her arms in the air,really got into it,it was really nice.I think it reflects Jehovah as the happy God.

David danced and he was loved by Jehovah.

On a side note the brother who is chairman has had lots of responsibilities and isn't afraid to go left field.

I couldn't imagine a brother like myself who is alot younger and not as experienced having the confidence to encourage people to Move and Dance,most brothers prefer to play it safe,which is understandable.

This past wed. meeting night I too moved (danced) some! With this song you just can't help it, at least I can't! LOL I LOVE MUSIC! 💃:heart:  My husband just stands there an grins at me.  I looked around a bit a see other just standing stone still and don't quite understand how they can't at least shift.  lol  Me, I even look at the songs to be sung before the meetings just to see if this one or there's another one, can't think of it right now, as to whether or not they will be sung.  Look so forward to them.  Don't get me wrong I love all of our praises to Jehovah but the dance ones, well let's just say I enjoy expressing visually my joy to Jehovah too during such praises.  Sometimes I make up my own sign language moves haha! You ought to see me when I listen to the Original songs. :loopy:

I love to dance. I mean, I LOVE TO DANCE!! Not saying I can as far as the proper steps,lol, but I just love to dance! It comes from being raised in a family of amateur dancers and singers. Growing up we used to visit each other, (when everyone was still alive) and have our own parties, mostly impromptu, especially during holidays and birthdays. Such good times! 

I just dont understand what the hoopla is about concerning the friends dancing to "How Does It Make You Feel"? Oh well. Whatcha gonna do eh? Just be patient eh? Yep! 

4 hours ago, jjsunray said:

looked around a bit a see other just standing stone still and don't quite understand how they can't at least shift

Me either. I just don't get it. I say to myself like I'm talking to them "move at least. How can you just stand there like that!?"

But then, to be fair, I figure that maybe they're bashful? But ummm...really? Oh well. I'm not, not really especially when it comes to dancing even when I feel I can't. It's music!!! 

Edited by Luezette

1 hour ago, Allabord4Jah said:

King David, he danced and wrote songs of praise, he didn't stand still and strum his harp!

EXACTLY!! And that was one of the examples I brought out. As a matter of fact, David's wife had a problem with David dancing and so disrespected him. Such is why she wasnt allowed to bear children.  

The lesson is we shouldn't judge others.

6 hours ago, Allabord4Jah said:

King David, he danced and wrote songs of praise, he didn't stand still and strum his harp!

(2 Samuel 6:14-16) 14 David was dancing around before Jehovah with all his might; all the while David wore a linen ephʹod. 15 David and all the house of Israel were bringing up the Ark of Jehovah with joyful shouting and with the sound of the horn. 16 But when the Ark of Jehovah came into the City of David, Saul’s daughter Miʹchal looked down through the window and saw King David leaping and dancing around before Jehovah; and she began to despise him in her heart.

*** it-1 p. 575 Dancing ***
Victory and Festive Dances. Dancers expressed their heartfelt praise and thanksgiving to Jehovah after Israel witnessed the faith-inspiring demonstration of Jehovah’s power in destroying the Egyptians. So, as the men joined Moses in singing a victory song, Miriam led the women in dances to the accompaniment of tambourines. (Ex 15:1, 20, 21) Another victory dance motivated by deep religious feelings was that of Jephthah’s daughter, who came out to join her father in praising Jehovah for having given the Ammonites into his hands. (Jg 11:34) The women of Israel, dancing to the music of lutes and tambourines, welcomed Saul and David back after Jehovah’s victory over the Philistines. (1Sa 18:6, 7; 21:11; 29:5) Dancing was a part of certain annual festivals in connection with the worship of Jehovah. (Jg 21:19-21, 23) The Psalms also endorse dancing as a means of honoring and praising Jehovah. “Praise Jah, you people! . . . Let them praise his name with dancing. With the tambourine and the harp let them make melody to him.” “Praise him with the tambourine and the circle dance.”—Ps 149:1, 3; 150:4.

Depending on what song I hear play, I tap my toe.  Sometimes I get carried away with a song and my hands move.  Can't help it, the song's are joyful!  

Edited by Allabord4Jah

I love to dance. Love too.

When i found out I had African blood in me, a brother said, (?) so that’s why you have rhythm. A peculiar statement, I thought. 

Then I started thinking, he’s never seen me dance. Never. But he is one of the attendants who stands in the back of the hall.

And, yes, I can’t stand still...quietly, but...

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

I don't think there is anything wrong with dancing, even to Kingdom Songs in the Kingdom Hall.

I do think there should be some caution though. It definitely can draw attention to yourself. No one dances in my congregation. There was a sister that used to visit my congregation and she would dance. That drew attention, and it annoyed me, not that she was dancing, per se. It annoyed me, because she was drawing attention to herself. She had a little "different" style of dress (nothing wrong, just different). So that emphasized the drawing attention to herself.

Jehovah is definitely a happy God, and he wants us to be happy. Taking your dancing to the aisleways might be taking too far.

I think something else that needs to be considered it, is how does the dancing make you feel. Are you going to be able to calm yourself down quickly, so you can focus and concentrate on the prayer?

As I alluded, there is nothing wrong with a little movement (dancing) to our Kingdom Songs. My motto that I think about all of the time, "Is this balanced and reasonable?"

As coordinator of our congregation, I will not stand still to songs that make me want to move my feet. In fact at times, I’ve been told that people will see what I do when the song comes on. LOL   Doesn’t bother me one bit. 

Now when I’m chairman of the midweek or weekend meeting, I’m a little more reserved from the stage. But I always encourage the friends to MOVE IT. 😁

Edited by Midwest-US

A bit off topic. Do you know any website where brothers do a bit easier, both hands piano sheet music of our songs? I am looking for intermediate piano level sheet music.

What is intermediate piano to you?

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”