JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Dictionary on jw library for android

I have noticed that the IPhone uses a dictionary in jw library. I can't get that feature to work on Android with jw library. Is it possible to use the dictionary to look up words in jw library? If so how do I get it to work?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

If you are talking about the glossary, it is under the index tab on android, but not on the study bible. You have to have the regular 2013 bible.

Screenshot_20190814-093831.jpg

Edited by Buttrfly71

"For God is the one who for the sake of his good pleasure energizes you, giving you both the desire and the power to act." Phil 2:13

Gloria,

The Apple software has a built-in dictionary component and it allows outside apps to access that component to display definitions. Android does not have such a feature built in so the only way to get dictionary definitions is to use a third-party app like Joao suggested. It's not an issue with JW Library or something the brothers can resolve unless they decided to include a secular dictionary in the app.

So just remember...when you are in the meeting, looking at your Watchtower and you press a word for a definition on your Ipad...you are getting a worldly dictionary definition from a commercial dictionary.  I sat next to a sister who was quoting a definition that had multiple possibilities.  She was trying to show that our organization was explaining a new thought by showing us how the scripture COULD be interpreted by this meaning she read.  It was an erroneous concept and most in the audience had no idea what she was talking about.

Just a warning or "heads up" about using it.  I look at it quite often but it is no different from opening my Webster's Dictionary that sits by my desk at home....😊

6 hours ago, jwhess said:

So just remember...when you are in the meeting, looking at your Watchtower and you press a word for a definition on your Ipad...you are getting a worldly dictionary definition from a commercial dictionary.  I sat next to a sister who was quoting a definition that had multiple possibilities.  She was trying to show that our organization was explaining a new thought by showing us how the scripture COULD be interpreted by this meaning she read.  It was an erroneous concept and most in the audience had no idea what she was talking about.

Just a warning or "heads up" about using it.  I look at it quite often but it is no different from opening my Webster's Dictionary that sits by my desk at home....😊

What dictionary does the organization uses, because I would love a copy?

I have an iPad and when I want to look up words, it usually give more than one definition. I always use the definition that fits the contents of the article. Definitions has changed a lot over the last century, so we have to read all of the information that the dictionary gives. I find most the time the first definition given is not related to the subject matter that I am reading in our literature. We have to pay attention to our reading. :tea:

3 hours ago, 1gemstone said:

What dictionary does the organization uses, because I would love a copy?

I have an iPad and when I want to look up words, it usually give more than one definition. I always use the definition that fits the contents of the article. Definitions has changed a lot over the last century, so we have to read all of the information that the dictionary gives. I find most the time the first definition given is not related to the subject matter that I am reading in our literature. We have to pay attention to our reading. :tea:

I am unaware of any inclusion of a dictionary in any of our digital materials. We have a "glossary" that we made ourselves but you can look at is in the 2013 NWT (not Study) bible.

17 hours ago, jwhess said:

I am unaware of any inclusion of a dictionary in any of our digital materials. We have a "glossary" that we made ourselves but you can look at is in the 2013 NWT (not Study) bible.

Thank you brother John for your response, but I talking about ordinary words that you don’t find in our glossary, such as Portent, algorithm, apocryphal for example. There are many words in the WT that is used that  I’m not sure of the definition, and I like that I can just highlight the word in WT & get the definition instantly without pulling out a dictionary.