JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

How To Entertain Small Groups Of Friends. Your Input Needed!

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1694 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Hello All!

Our long awaited dream has come true. We are now in a position to entertain & be hospitable. A year ago we moved to a small town and are a part of a loving & warm congregation. Our home & yard  is large and perfect for entertaining! Over the summer we had 2 gatherings, one where we hosted 35 and the other 20 brothers and sisters came. It was really fun but we were so busy with all the background work that we weren't able to get to know anyone personally. Now, we want to invite ones over on a much smaller scale. THAT is the problem.  I am shy and am uncomfortable in one on one situations. I have been stressing over this for some thims now.

Please, can you offer ideas for a reason to gather in the first place. I imaging inviting a couple over to watch the broadcast or study something together or just talk. I think it through and feel that they surely do that with their family or wonder why we would invite them since they probably do their studying together. Anyway, I am sure I am over thinking this.  Please offer tips, ideas or situations you have done when having ones over.

I know this sounds awkward, and it is. I really need your input. Help me figure out how to graciously entertain our friends.

Thank you so much!!

Sally

20190503_193643.jpg

20190503_193652.jpg

20190505_101734.jpg

20181127_145211.jpg

20181127_145354.jpg

~We were sent to preach not to judge~ 

~Be kind to one another because all of us are suffering one way or another. This is our refuge from oppression~

:) 

Inviting some over for watching the Broadcast or to study the WT does not seem strange to the ones you invite - it is something Jehovah's people do ...

However, it is also OK to just invite some (a few) over for other reasons:

• Simply ask them if they would like to come over and sit around the firepit and roast marshmallows
  • Ask them if they would like to come over to grill some "burgers and dogs"
  • Ask them to come over for a pizza party (homemade or purchased pizza)
  • Ask then over for "game night"

There are many things you can invite a few over for 

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

There are games out there that you can mimic about getting to know each other. Write a question on a card - make several up like a deck and have each person draw one and answer the question. Example: How did you learn the truth? How long have you been married? How did you meet your spouse? What was your first job? What is your favorite scripture? Bible Character and why? etc.....

Also, remember the WT study pointed out to invite people who may have difficulties in their life or are single or elderly. They would really appreciate the company as they probably get a little lonely at times.

On 11 September 2019 at 2:36 PM, JennyM said:

play bible games. 

sing jw original songs 

Sister please give some example of bible games you mean. I've been asked to do bible quiz at a brothers wedding and I don't have a clue what to do. I told him though but he won't accept.

My congregation enjoyed this game at a gathering. The elder affixed lots of blank sheets of paper onto a white board stand. He also wrote down all the clues on the small pieces of paper. Examples like Armageddon, the High Priest etc. If no one is able to guess out the answer, another person will be called on to illustrate his/her  interpretation of the clues.

Pen and Paper Pictionary

Give each person a piece of paper and a pen or pencil. Instruct them to write down a Biblical phrase and fold the paper up. Collect all of the papers and place them in a box or basket. Players take turns choosing a paper and draw it on a large piece of paper. (Newsprint works well). 

https://icebreakerideas.com/pen-and-paper-games/

Edited by M'Awan

4 hours ago, Oko said:

I don't have a clue what to do. 

One suggestion is use JWTALK search engine. Use words like Bible games/quiz or gathering games. Others have asked the same question over the years, there may be some good suggestions in the threads.

And

:welcome:to the Forum brother Oko

With Jehovah’s help it will go well

1 hour ago, Oko said:

Cheers all for the help, very well appreciated. I will put the suggestions to good use and hopefully it will come out good with Jehovah's help. Thanks again.

My sentiments exactly!  Thanks to all who replied. I now have a place to start and with confidence!!  :)

Sally

~We were sent to preach not to judge~ 

~Be kind to one another because all of us are suffering one way or another. This is our refuge from oppression~

:) 

We got married 7 weeks ago, and are finally in the same position to be able to have people over. I started off with having the group over one ministry day, then we had the congregation over straight after the meeting on a Sunday (we live a 5 minute walk from the hall, so very convenient, and not everyone could make it as it was last minute). And tonight we're getting together with newly married couples as there's been 8 weddings, including ours own, in the local-ish area since November!! But again, only 2 out of the 4 couples we invited could make it. 

Neither of us are outwardly social, but wanted to feel Jehovah's love more through social events and the best way to do that is in the comfort of your own home! 

1 minute ago, moosic said:

We got married 7 weeks ago, and are finally in the same position to be able to have people over. I started off with having the group over one ministry day, then we had the congregation over straight after the meeting on a Sunday (we live a 5 minute walk from the hall, so very convenient, and not everyone could make it as it was last minute). And tonight we're getting together with newly married couples as there's been 8 weddings, including ours own, in the local-ish area since November!! But again, only 2 out of the 4 couples we invited could make it. 

Neither of us are outwardly social, but wanted to feel Jehovah's love more through social events and the best way to do that is in the comfort of your own home! 

Make that now only 1 couple can make it 😅😂 Good job we haven't ordered the pizza yet! More cake for us four 😁