JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

PC that handles 4K video editing

Hi I am in video editing, and soon will be moving into 4K video systems etc 

My computer will be eventually replaced for that purpose ... Any advice on the system 

My software is only supported by Windows environment, ProShow Producer, Pinnacle Ultimate 23 ... so it need to be windows based

Looking forward to a discussion ....your recommendation?

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

2 hours ago, New World Explorer said:

Hi I am in video editing, and soon will be moving into 4K video systems etc 

My computer will be eventually replaced for that purpose ... Any advice on the system 

My software is only supported by Windows environment, ProShow Producer, Pinnacle Ultimate 23 ... so it need to be windows based

Looking forward to a discussion ....your recommendation?

Hi Greg.

What are your PC's specs now? What's your budget for upgrading?

2 minutes ago, Intercore said:

Hi Greg.

What are your PC's specs now? What's your budget for upgrading?

Running windows 7 on 3 year old computer i7 intel based ...

When I decide to upgrade then $1600 -$1700 Aussie dollars for the box alone. 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

1 minute ago, New World Explorer said:

For make it easier and clearer there's a program to know all the specs of your PC and so more. It's called Speecy. I'm curious what are your other PC components, like motherboard, the generation of your Intel i7 processor, graphics card. Then it will be easier to discuss about upgrades, maybe you won't need to buy a new one, just upgrade the one you're using now.

1 hour ago, New World Explorer said:

When I decide to upgrade then $1600 -$1700 Aussie dollars for the box alone. 

Hi Greg...

The application is a big part of the equation, too. The program developers all seem to have unrealistic entry level specs for machines (it brings more people in to buy it) but they will have a preferred spec too.

Some programs use the GPU to off load some of the pressure on the CPU.. in which case the GPU may have more impact on performance.  What program are you considering?   

Ps. The support forums are a good place ot go to as they show the warts and all (reality) of using their product :)

7 hours ago, Alan said:

Hi Greg...

The application is a big part of the equation, too. The program developers all seem to have unrealistic entry level specs for machines (it brings more people in to buy it) but they will have a preferred spec too.

Some programs use the GPU to off load some of the pressure on the CPU.. in which case the GPU may have more impact on performance.  What program are you considering?   

Ps. The support forums are a good place ot go to as they show the warts and all (reality) of using their product :)

Thanks Alan, 

I use ProShow Producer and Pinnacle 23 Ultimate with  blue plugins .... 

Should I concentrate on graphic card or main processor more? Both? 

8 hours ago, Intercore said:

For make it easier and clearer there's a program to know all the specs of your PC and so more. It's called Speecy. I'm curious what are your other PC components, like motherboard, the generation of your Intel i7 processor, graphics card. Then it will be easier to discuss about upgrades, maybe you won't need to buy a new one, just upgrade the one you're using now.

CPU
        Intel Core i7 4790
            Cores    4
            Threads    8
            Name    Intel Core i7 4790
            Code Name    Haswell
            Package    Socket 1150 LGA
            Technology    22nm
            Specification    Intel Core i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
            Family    6
            Extended Family    6
            Model    C
            Extended Model    3C
            Stepping    3
            Revision    C0
            Instructions    MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, Intel 64, NX, VMX, AES, AVX, AVX2, FMA3
            Virtualization    Supported, Enabled
            Hyperthreading    Supported, Enabled
            Fan Speed    1214 RPM
            Bus Speed    100.0 MHz
            Stock Core Speed    3600 MHz
            Stock Bus Speed    100 MHz
            Average Temperature    51 °C

DELL U2414H on NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
Current Resolution    1920x1080 pixels
Work Resolution    1920x1032 pixels
State    Enabled, Primary
Monitor Width    1920
Monitor Height    1080
Monitor BPP    32 bits per pixel
Monitor Frequency    60 Hz
Device    \\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor0

Manufacturer    MSI motherboard
Model    H81M-P33 (MS-7817) (SOCKET 0)
Version    1.0
Chipset Vendor    Intel
Chipset Model    Haswell
Chipset Revision    06
Southbridge Vendor    Intel
Southbridge Model    H81
Southbridge Revision    C2
System Temperature    28 °C
    BIOS
        Brand    American Megatrends Inc.
        Version    V1.9
        Date    30/03/2015

Hi Greg...

these are the recommended specs for ProShow

Recommended:

• Windows 7, 8, or 10
  • 1920 x 1080 display
  • 2Ghz, dual-core processor or better
  • 8GB system memory or more
  • Accelerated 3D graphics – 512MB ram or higher
  • DirectX 9.0 or better
  • Requires and active internet connection

how much system memory do you have and how much memory on the GT730?

which version ProShow are you running too.

16 minutes ago, Alan said:

Hi Greg...

these are the recommended specs for ProShow

Recommended:

• Windows 7, 8, or 10
  • 1920 x 1080 display
  • 2Ghz, dual-core processor or better
  • 8GB system memory or more
  • Accelerated 3D graphics – 512MB ram or higher
  • DirectX 9.0 or better
  • Requires and active internet connection

how much system memory do you have and how much memory on the GT730?

which version ProShow are you running too.

Alan, ProShow is fine... running latest version 9.

My computer would not run 4K video straight from GoProblack7

Total memory slots    4
    Used memory slots    2
    Free memory slots    2
Memory
    Type    DDR3
    Size    16384 MBytes
    Channels #    Dual
    DRAM Frequency    799.9 MHz
    CAS# Latency (CL)    11 clocks
    RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD)    11 clocks
    RAS# Precharge (tRP)    11 clocks
    Cycle Time (tRAS)    28 clocks
    Command Rate (CR)    1T

9 hours ago, New World Explorer said:

Total memory slots    4
    Used memory slots    2
    Free memory slots    2

I don't understand why it shows that your motherboard has 4 RAM slots in all, if in official website it's written that it should have only 2... Maybe it's a mistake of Speecy. 😃

However, you have 16 GB of RAM, what's very good thing (maximum available by the motherboard). But there's one thing. It only supports (as it's said in the manual) 2560x1600 resolution using HDMI, or 1920x1080 using VGA/DVI-D, so 4K (3840×2160) is too much for your motherboard.

But I guess your GPU (graphics card) supports 4K (not sure if all versions of GT 730 support that, I don't know the exact version of yours). So you can try put your HDMI (if you're using one) to GPU's HDMI port, not the motherboard's one.

"GB" stands not for Governing Body, I hope you understand that...

Edited by Intercore

4 hours ago, Intercore said:

I don't understand why it shows that your motherboard has 4 RAM slots in all, if in official website it's written that it should have only 2... Maybe it's a mistake of Speecy. 😃

However, you have 16 GB of RAM, what's very good thing (maximum available by the motherboard). But there's one thing. It only supports (as it's said in the manual) 2560x1600 resolution using HDMI, or 1920x1080 using VGA/DVI-D, so 4K (3840×2160) is too much for your motherboard.

But I guess your GPU (graphics card) supports 4K (not sure if all versions of GT 730 support that, I don't know the exact version of yours). So you can try put your HDMI (if you're using one) to GPU's HDMI port, not the motherboard's one.

"GB" stands not for Governing Body, I hope you understand that...

I think when I am ready I will build new box with strongest components that I can afford, 

Apart from 4k editing I need to rip my whole blu Ray library - so I need some kind of blu Ray DVD reader and player installed in the computer ... yeah I think Building new computer will be better. 

As suggests many websites, the best processor for 4K video editing are AMD Ryzen 3900X (12 cores) or Intel Core i9-9900K (8 cores, K means processor without cooler, you would need to buy one). More cores = better. But as I see, the AMD one costs around 800 Aussie dollars, so it would be a half of your budget for the whole PC... i9-9900K costs a little less but I'm not sure it would pay off if to buy this one. Also, other good options are AMD Ryzen 1700X, 3600X, they're cheaper but should do their work.

GPU. There's being recommended RX 580 - not so expensive, but enough for 4K video editing.

I tried to build that type of PC in userbenchmark.com (very good website with the tool to benchmark your own PC and see how it works and how you can upgrade it). So, there's results:

image.png.90a2591665746095b3cb2dd1a0792438.png

If you're able to build the PC yourself, it's way better than to buy the build from somewhere.

1 hour ago, Intercore said:

As suggests many websites, the best processor for 4K video editing are AMD Ryzen 3900X (12 cores) or Intel Core i9-9900K (8 cores, K means processor without cooler, you would need to buy one). More cores = better. But as I see, the AMD one costs around 800 Aussie dollars, so it would be a half of your budget for the whole PC... i9-9900K costs a little less but I'm not sure it would pay off if to buy this one. Also, other good options are AMD Ryzen 1700X, 3600X, they're cheaper but should do their work.

GPU. There's being recommended RX 580 - not so expensive, but enough for 4K video editing.

I tried to build that type of PC in userbenchmark.com (very good website with the tool to benchmark your own PC and see how it works and how you can upgrade it). So, there's results:

image.png.90a2591665746095b3cb2dd1a0792438.png

If you're able to build the PC yourself, it's way better than to buy the build from somewhere.

Wow, you really know computer stuff...

We have many computer shops, where they build computer according to personal  selection of components ...

38 minutes ago, New World Explorer said:

Wow, you really know computer stuff...

Not so much, really, don't have practice in these things...

38 minutes ago, New World Explorer said:

We have many computer shops, where they build computer according to personal  selection of components ...

I saw one of them in Australia, and they had a markup for about 200 dollars... Maybe not everyone store has that big markup?

20 minutes ago, Intercore said:

I saw one of them in Australia, and they had a markup for about 200 dollars... Maybe not everyone store has that big markup?

We do have, what is called product over saturation and only small population, so many shops offer good prices etc 

In my are alone there is several computer shops and some of them, very affordable and well run. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/24/2019 at 11:28 PM, Intercore said:

To build the computer - selecting own components cost only $90 in a very reputable computer shop (in my area) 

But the dilemma I face is the AMD vs Intel CPU ...., I am looking at

AMD RYZEN R7 3800X, 8C 16T, 36MB CACHE, 105W TDP

Vs

Intel Core i9-9900KF 3.6GHz 9th Gen CPU ($130 more expensive than AMD)

Advice? (is it overkill? better stick with something i7 equivalent? )

5 hours ago, New World Explorer said:

To build the computer - selecting own components cost only $90 in a very reputable computer shop (in my area) 

But the dilemma I face is the AMD vs Intel CPU ...., I am looking at

AMD RYZEN R7 3800X, 8C 16T, 36MB CACHE, 105W TDP

Vs

Intel Core i9-9900KF 3.6GHz 9th Gen CPU ($130 more expensive than AMD)

Advice? (is it overkill? better stick with something i7 equivalent? )

Many people don't recommend AMD Ryzen 7 3800X because its price/value ratio isn't good, this processor is overpriced comparing to 3700X. And it takes more energy (105W) comparing to 3700X (65W).

I think Intel's option is better for now.

Edited by Intercore

If you can get a 3rd gen Ryzen CPU, it's a much better value than Intel's current generation stuff. Especially if it's a 3600, which has the higher value per dollar at $200. But depending specifically on what you're doing, you may want to consider the 3700 and save a couple hundred off the intel. You may also want 32GB of RAM if the video files are very large. Logical increments has some reasonable build guides: https://www.logicalincrements.com/articles/videoediting Personally, I recommend anyone building a PC use PC Part Picker. They have a very large selection of guides you can browse or request to see what you might need for your video editing. Then plug your own parts into your own build for comparison. https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/ https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/forum/27-create-a-part-list-for-me/

https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/search/?q=4k+edit
Are you editing 4k at 30FPS or 60FPS? Personal or professional? Do you need the best? Those can make a huge difference in the recommended requirements.

I'm sure you would be able to do quite well nonetheless with a 3700X and 32GB of 3000-3200 DDR4 RAM. You probably don't need to consider anything higher than that? Also a GPU, ebay here has used RX 580s for $100 or you can get new equivalent GPUs for around $200.

Edited by Myew

Here is what I would probably personally build if I needed that much CPU: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Myew/saved/HyxJbv
Though you would probably rather have an x570 board than a b450. But that's the gist. It's about 1k USD for equivalent parts.

I haven't watched this fully, but I scrubbed through some videos to look at some of the benchmarks. You're only saving a few minutes on render times if you spend a whole lot more to get something higher than a 3700x.

Edited by Myew

3 hours ago, Intercore said:

@Myew, what's your opinion about number of cores and CPU's clock speed? What do you prefer - more cores or higher speed? I read different thoughts about this but I personally guess more cores is better.

Also number of threads ... I understand cores but not threads ... :wall: need some clarity

4 hours ago, Myew said:

Also a GPU, ebay here has used RX 580s for $100 or you can get new equivalent GPUs for around $200.

You're spot on Alex, picked the same GPU card to be installed in a new system ....

Spoiler

mind reader? LOL

I just watch a lot of hardware and tech reviews. Independent benchmarks and reviews are the ONLY way to properly compare actual hardware performance. Number theory means much less in real world performance or value. Gigahertz isn't the 'speed' factor for a long time now. Die size and Instructions per clock are more important. Also, yes, more cores (and threads) are absolutely more important than raw speed moving forward for all types of software. I don't have too much time to explain atm, so watch Techquickie and it will make more sense. These vids are already 3 and 6 years old though, which is ages in tech time. 

Edited by Myew