JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Is anyone here depressed?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1645 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Those of us who are depressed need interchange of encouragement.

Our brothers know this (FDS).   See:

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1991723#h=14:0-14:592

And from Jw.org -

604 links:

https://www.jw.org/en/search/?q=Depression

One for now:

https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/questions/bible-help-depressed/#?insight[search_id]=4354bb25-3d87-4994-aa03-61a6bfabe22e&insight[search_result_index]=2

Excerpt:

502013104_univ_lsr_lg.jpg

Can the Bible Help Me if I’m Depressed?

The Bible’s answer

Yes, because the best help comes from “God, Who comforts and encourages and refreshes and cheers the depressed.”—2 Corinthians 7:6, The Amplified Bible.

I have suffered depression in the past & yes you’re right ones that do need lots of love & gentle care. The best help they can get is keeping focussed on the New World just ahead, where there’ll be no more mental health issues, but sometimes medical intervention is required. 

Yesterday here in the UK it was ‘Mental Health Awareness day’ so it shows that more people than we realize suffer with this affliction, in & outside the truth. 

Thank goodness we know these conditions are very temporary & relief is coming very soon. 

6 hours ago, Jothob said:

I have suffered depression in the past & yes you’re right ones that do need lots of love & gentle care. The best help they can get is keeping focussed on the New World just ahead, where there’ll be no more mental health issues, but sometimes medical intervention is required. 

Yesterday here in the UK it was ‘Mental Health Awareness day’ so it shows that more people than we realize suffer with this affliction, in & outside the truth. 

Thank goodness we know these conditions are very temporary & relief is coming very soon. 

And thank Jehovah!

As Jehovah's people we live in two worlds right now.

In Satan's septic system of things, we are constantly "sighing Sigh.gif.2257eefe6f44bcbf2da86702666ff5b4.gifand moaning1033351957_SighCry.gif.0e41357106ff6ba16cd089c45a63482a.gif".  

Let's face it, there is an abundance of 'bad to worse' to sigh and moan about.  This is a Scripturally approved (and prophesied about) condition

and a time to be depressed.

In the Spiritual Paradise--which we are also currently blessed to occupy--we are Scripturally admonished to "Always rejoice!"  

Again, we have an abundance to 'always rejoice' about because we lack nothing that is good and upbuilding, or spiritually nutritious and delicious, in our Spiritual Paradise. :D

Now, for those who also suffer from some form of physical depression, caused by an imbalance of the chemicals in their brain, and such,

they are DOUBLY depressed.  316037764_Yessad.gif.a94638e142aef40c8c4f075e4eeb72c0.gif   

They need lots of hugs and prayers for Jehovah to help them experience a double-dose of our Spiritual Paradise to counteract the double dose of depression they must endure...until Dr. Michael arrives to PERMANENTLY PROVIDE RELIEF from ALL our physical ailments.  

From1824826821_HappydanceOLD.gif.b9c6ee89ecac240c89eade7a6a64bd82.gif  ----------------> 258900024_Happydance2.gif.ed8150626ba488c469b4057446b42827.gif

From   Sigh.gif.2257eefe6f44bcbf2da86702666ff5b4.gifand 1033351957_SighCry.gif.0e41357106ff6ba16cd089c45a63482a.gif    ---------------------------------------------->  1182229803_Happysmile.gif.8ea35eb5963c7ae92ba30b4efcfd05c3.gif and  Happy.gif.781a2046f9a930df0992bba9029350bd.gif

With Jehovah's help, we CAN and WILL endure our multi-caused depression just a little while longer.  

Jehovah knows what you are going through and we can empathize, too.  316037764_Yessad.gif.a94638e142aef40c8c4f075e4eeb72c0.gif

In the meantime...

1219033382_GroupHugYellow.gif.b871a3ad18577f9fdafcd770a3799f6e.gif    and Prayer.gif.1e20134d2afb45de288a60ead493659c.gifPrayer.gif.1e20134d2afb45de288a60ead493659c.gifPrayer.gif.1e20134d2afb45de288a60ead493659c.gifPrayer.gif.1e20134d2afb45de288a60ead493659c.gif     1568968078_YESblueandpurplejumping.gif.708c1af59c40a8536e6f338addc09d03.gif

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

20 hours ago, Guri said:

When my mother died by the pancreatic cancer I became very depressed.

I have used two things to get out of the condition.

1. I increased the ministry. 

2. Took my GP's advice and undertook training called CBT. 

These two things worked for me. 

Please - what is GP and CBT?

19 hours ago, Arumuga Raja said:

I feel now this post was posted for me

Thank you all my brothers and sisters

There are so many good points on JW.org to help us cope with depression - whatever the cause or causes.

https://www.jw.org/en/library/magazines/g200907/help-from-the-god-of-comfort/#?insight[search_id]=e31ab78e-9aa5-4da3-9bee-dbe6c91b7677&insight[search_result_index]=14

Help From ‘the God of Comfort’

Play
Current time 0:00
Loaded: 0%
Progress: 0%
Duration 0:00
Mute

102009243_univ_cnt_1_md.jpg

KING DAVID was a man who experienced much anguish and many “disquieting thoughts.” Yet, he never doubted that the Creator understands us in every way. “O Jehovah, you have searched through me, and you know me,” he wrote. “You yourself have come to know my sitting down and my rising up. You have considered my thought from far off. For there is not a word on my tongue, but, look! O Jehovah, you already know it all.”—Psalm 139:1, 2, 4, 23.

We too can be certain that our Creator understands us and the debilitating effect that depression can have on our imperfect minds and bodies.

See the whole article!

20 hours ago, Guri said:

When my mother died by the pancreatic cancer I became very depressed.

I have used two things to get out of the condition.

1. I increased the ministry. 

2. Took my GP's advice and undertook training called CBT. 

These two things worked for me. 

Also true - trying to help others - notably in the ministry - is one way to divert us from our own problems.   In short: showing love.

Cancer is a terrible disease.   Decades ago one of my brothers and one of my sisters died of cancer.   The horrible suffering they went through before dying seems to me to be worse than that inflicted by the most sadistic criminals!   I hope your mother did not go through much suffering.

When she wakes up (Daniel 12:2) there will be no more suffering!

Meanwhile, the Bible records an example of one (actually many) that refused to be comforted 

24 minutes ago, Newtonian said:

Please - what is GP and CBT?

Br. Paul,

Here in the UK  our family doctor we call GP. The abbreviation GP stands for general practitioner. In the medical profession, a general practitioner (GP) is a medical doctor who treats acute and chronic illnesses and provides preventive care and health education to patients. GP is also the responsible to do referrals to hospitals and  to other medical professionals. 

The CBT stands for Cognitive behavioural therapy. Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) is a talking therapy that can help you manage your problems by changing the way you think and behave. It's most commonly used to treat anxiety and depression, but can be useful for other mental and physical health problems.

Here in England this method of CBT is approved and is so beneficial and successful that the government (through the British national health service) made it available for free. 

You can get more info on here: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/cognitive-behavioural-therapy-cbt/ 

Sorry, my wife thought she ran over a puppy - I had to help - thankfully they are all OK.

The Scripture I had in mind:

Jeremiah 31:15, 16

New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures (Study Edition)

15 “This is what Jehovah says:

‘A voice is heard in Raʹmah,+ lamentation and bitter weeping:

Rachel is weeping over her sons.*+

She has refused to be comforted over her sons,

Because they are no more.’”+

16 This is what Jehovah says:

“‘Hold back your voice from weeping and your eyes from tears,

For there is a reward for your activity,’ declares Jehovah.

‘They will return from the land of the enemy.’+

Note: "refused to be comforted."   But Jehovah did comfort her.

In the greater (mournful) fulfillment (Matthew 2:16-18) the "land of the enemy" was death - see 1 Corinthians 15:26.

19 minutes ago, Guri said:

Br. Paul,

Here in the UK  our family doctor we call GP. The abbreviation GP stands for general practitioner. In the medical profession, a general practitioner (GP) is a medical doctor who treats acute and chronic illnesses and provides preventive care and health education to patients. GP is also the responsible to do referrals to hospitals and  to other medical professionals. 

The CBT stands for Cognitive behavioural therapy. Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) is a talking therapy that can help you manage your problems by changing the way you think and behave. It's most commonly used to treat anxiety and depression, but can be useful for other mental and physical health problems.

Here in England this method of CBT is approved and is so beneficial and successful that the government (through the British national health service) made it available for free. 

You can get more info on here: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/cognitive-behavioural-therapy-cbt/ 

Thank you brother Guri.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi There,

I struggle with depression and sometimes I know why I'm depressed other times it's for no apparent reason.  I've been depressed lately but I've had it worse in the past. I'm on an anti-depressant and other medications since I have more problems than just depression. 

I have Schizoaffective disorder Bipolar type I have mentioned it on these forums before.  But it's when a person has a mood disorder either major depression or bipolar along with prominent elements of schizophrenia.  I also have PTSD with Dissociative Features which is when my mind can't handle the trauma so it tries to go somewhere else that's the dissociation. 

So I have depression from the Schizoaffective disorder and the PTSD and sometimes I get depressed over other things. My psychosis is doing well and I'm doing much better with the dissociation currently. 

I have a Psychiatrist who prescribes my medication and I have counseling which is with someone separate from the psychiatrist.  Both have helped me, I'd be a lot worse. 

Sometimes I don't feel like going to meetings but I usually get myself to go and I'm glad when I go.   I appreciate the articles in the Watchtower and Awake that discuss depression.

A little background on me. I was a sick and sexually abused child since the age of 4 or 5, I’m now 60. I have lived with my parents for all but 5 years on and off. My mother died in 2015 from cancer, she was my friend. Now I’m left looking after my 85 year old father, who is dying of diabetes and end stage renal disease. I moved my son in, along with his wife and 3 early teenage kids to help me with my father. Needless to say putting 7 adults and a dog in a house built for 4, with only 1 bathroom, has me angry and depressed. My only solution is JEHOVAH. I’m off my schedule spiritually and I struggle daily to do anything for Jehovah, and I’m not happy with that.