JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Persecution Against Jehovah’s Witnesses in Russia Escalates

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1657 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Persecution Against Jehovah’s Witnesses in Russia Escalates

Camp Raid the Latest in Deepening Crackdown on Members

https://www.hrw.org/news/2019/10/29/persecution-against-jehovahs-witnesses-russia-escalates

Last week, police near Norilsk, in northern Russia, raided a campsite where more than 50 Jehovah’s Witness followers had gathered to pray. It was the latest example of an escalating crackdown on Jehovah’s Witnesses, who are targeted simply for practicing their faith.

Members of the Jehovah’s Witness community who are close to those who were at the campsite told Human Rights Watch that 15 armed and masked special operations police stormed loudly into the camp, photographed worshippers, and forced them to hand over all electronic devices and write down their passcodes...

Regarding their phones my guess it just has material with no indication of origin, although I wouldn't be surprised if TKOTN made it illegal to have the name Jehovah on a mobile phone or tablet!

Edited by sunshine

From what I'm reading at Russian Religion News the Russian friends can now be placed on an "international wanted" list?!  Seriously? Does that mean that other countries must comply with Russia's warrant? or not?  Being that the KOTH is fast becoming a pariah on th world's stage, do their ridiculous warrants take precedence over the ECHR's official condemnation/ruling regarding Russia's unjust ban against the JW's?

This is terrible!

14 hours ago, Omoyeme said:

From what I'm reading at Russian Religion News the Russian friends can now be placed on an "international wanted" list?!  Seriously? Does that mean that other countries must comply with Russia's warrant? or not?  Being that the KOTH is fast becoming a pariah on th world's stage, do their ridiculous warrants take precedence over the ECHR's official condemnation/ruling regarding Russia's unjust ban against the JW's?

This is terrible!

For the time being it's unlikely that any other countries (except Russia's allies States) will comply and extradite our Russian brothers if they were on a "wanted"  in that list but flee to another country.  Western Europeans would likely  give them assyum but they of course could not return to Russia.  

Edited by sunshine

On 11/3/2019 at 8:11 PM, Omoyeme said:

do their ridiculous warrants take precedence over the ECHR's official condemnation/ruling regarding Russia's unjust ban against the JW's?

Yes, at least in the eyes of Russia. It was losing so many ECHR rulings that in late 2016, Putin signed a law declaring that Russia didn't have to comply with outside rulings. And unless the ECHR wants to kick Russia out as a member state, they probably won't rule against it.

On 11/3/2019 at 10:51 PM, campanula said:

Screenshot_20191103-124805.thumb.jpg.d4e09acbbda61d7a4a9014f39da68db5.jpg

I can imagine how Jehovah feels about this. Beautiful Sister ... I can also imagine how much the Holy Spirit is fortifying her right now.

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."