JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Global Temperature Monthly Update

Lewis

image.png.3fe52c8238606834f154a7cce8e322b2.png

Global Temperature Update for October 2023

Global Temperature in October 2023 hit another record month and is the hottest October on record. The past 10 Octobers have been the warmest on record (2014-2023)

Global surface temperature was recorded at 1.34C (1951-1980 mean) or 1.57C (1880-1920 mean). 

We are at 1.39C for the year since 1880, hottest year on record to date. There is greater than 99% chance that 2023 will rank as the hottest year on record. 

• 4 weeks later...

image.png.ea0b462de1f15c8185a449fc4b3ff921.png

Global Temperature Update for November 2023

Global Temperature in November 2023 yet again hit another record month and is the hottest November on record.

Global surface temperature was recorded at 1.44C (1951-1980 mean) or 1.69C (1880-1920 mean). 

We are now at 1.42C for the year since 1880, hottest year on record to date.

For the eighth consecutive month, the Global Ocean surface temperature hit a monthly high. If this reduction of Aerosols from shipping caused this spike in warming, how much more will rise once global dimming is reduced once the world works at ending fossil fuels (Cop28). Global dimming (another way of saying Aerosols) hides the true warming from Global warming made by pollution from humans, what we see now is only a fraction. This may not be a spike we are seeing but a tipping point, in the next year after El Niño passes we will get a better clearer picture on the warming of the Oceans if we have reached a new normal and tipping point.

Antarctica in the last year was at its lowest for months and even went as low as 1.7 million km2, recently the sea ice recovered and is now back to “normal range” and even having two days of being the coldest ever recorded in November. However, the damage from the warming in the Ocean caused the grounding line in the floating ice shelves to recede further back in the West Antarctica, this is a problem because it is causing more Icebergs to break and causing the eventual sea level rise faster, the rate of snow fall is less versus the amount of icebergs breaking off. While the calving events are healthy, the rate of icebergs now breaking off are not.

• 1 month later...

RecentT.png

Global Temperature Update for December 2023 & Year.

Global Temperature in December was the warmest December in the 144 year record since 1880. (NASA)

Global Surface Temperature was recorded at 1.37C (1951-1980 mean) or 1.65C (1880-1920 mean). (NASA)

Global Temperature for Year 2023 was recorded at 1.17C (1951-1980 mean) or 1.44C (1880-1920 mean). (NASA)

This is the hottest that our planet has ever recorded since measurements of adequate accuracy and spatial coverage began and exceeding the previous record set in 2016/2020 (tie) by a clear and definitive margin.

World Meteorological Organization have stated the world is at 1.45C for 2023 above the 1850-1900 mean using 6 datasets

Here are the list of datasets below they use to get that number.

Berkeley Earth (1850-2023) @ 1.54C

NOAA GlobalTemp (1850-2023) @ 1.34C

Hadley/UAE HadCRUT5 (1850-2023) @ 1.46C

NASA GISTEMP (1880-2023) @ 1.44C

JMA JRA-55 (1850-2023) @ 1.44C

Copernicus/ECMWF (1850-2023) @ 1.48C

All of these institutions track and analyze temperature differently and come out with a different number which can be confusing. Getting an accurate measurement of air temperature across the entire planet is not that simple as it seems. There are plenty of gaps between weather stations around the globe and that is where the difference is. NASA's coverage is about 99% coverage from what i read. Berkeley uses different tactic and gets even more data for their conclusion. That is why WMO uses these 6 datasets and averages them out instead of relying on one.

It is clear our planet is hotter than ever and speeding up at a faster rate than ever, the cause of this acceleration is the Earth's energy imbalance due to human caused global warming.

Scientists have stated this month that this year to expect global temperature to grow in the next 5-8 months to an average of 1.6C-1.7C for a 12 month running total, they know this because of the large increase of absorbed solar radiation (about 3 W/m2) which decreases the Earth's Albedo (dimming) of 0.4%, the reduced of albedo is equivalent to a sudden increase of CO2 from 420 to 530ppm.

2024 will most likely be hotter than 2023.

Edited by Lewis

• 4 weeks later...

RecentT.png

Global Temperature Update for January 2024

Global Temperature in January 2024 hit another record month and is the hottest January on record.

Global surface temperature was recorded at 1.21C (1951-1980 mean) or 1.53C (1880-1920 mean). 

2023 was a year that broke records from the previous record (2016/2020) by a record margin, we can expect more records to be broken this year as this year we will feel the effects from this El Nino event to which will drive temperatures in the following year which in this case is in 2024.

Scientists are baffled as to what drove the temperatures so much last year as El Nino usually lags in seeing its effects, the only theory they are seeing is the reduction of Sulfur oxides in ships in the Atlantic due to emissions regulations that went into effect on January 1, 2023. https://www.imo.org/en/MediaCentre/PressBriefings/pages/CII-and-EEXI-entry-into-force.aspx

More emission cuts are set to begin for ships on May 1 2025 in the Mediterranean Sea by as much as 80%, how much will this add to our already warming world. https://transport.ec.europa.eu/news-events/news/new-shipping-fuel-standards-reduce-sulphur-oxides-mediterranean-80-2022-12-16_en

40 minutes ago, Lewis said:

Berkeley Earth have stated that the month of February is on track to be the hottest in recorded history.

https://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/60694/20240219/scientists-expects-record-breaking-temperature-february-due-human-made-global.htm

Yep, I can attest to that.  It's been a brain-melting, eyeball evaporating, non-stop, rolling heatwave over here in Western Australia (and we are used to heat!). But, I've also seen other news reports saying the Northern winters were unseasonably mild.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-02-19/wa-weather-heatwave-continues-as-flood-warning-issued-kimberley/103485184

image.png.eed631801eefb7a5c56780fce8ca4524.png

http://www.bom.gov.au/wa/warnings/heatwave.shtml

• 3 weeks later...

image.png.681f97150c614e96e203b1f0633dfef3.png

Global Temperature Update for February 2024

Global Temperature for the month of February is the hottest on record by a leap.

Global surface temperature was recorded at 1.44C (1951-1980 mean) or 1.73C (1880-1920 mean).

We are currently at 1.64C for the year so far above the pre industrial (1880-1920 mean)

We have averaged 1.50C for the last 12 months.

image.png.c404f147c93dd184cf53069189d1dc07.png

On 3/19/2024 at 3:00 PM, Thomas Walker said:

Global Ocean heat also hit record levels every single day this year, I saw a big drop for a few days but now it’s climbing back up sharply again.

https://climatereanalyzer.org/clim/sst_daily/

On 3/20/2024 at 6:06 PM, SheyZ said:

I know they've been talking about climate change since about 1989. And no one would listen and no one is listening now. The scientist within the last year are freaking out because all their predictions are coming true faster than ever anticipated 🤯🤯🤯

Totally agree,

Scientists have talked about Global Warming since the late 1800s when they first made the prediction that the atmosphere carbon dioxide could alter the surface temperature through a greenhouse effect. It wasn’t until 1938 when they established that connection. James Hansen went in front of congress committee in 1988 and the term climate change came into being used. To be clear Global Warming and Global Dimming causes climate change which is known as a feedback loop generated from the two phenomenons.

• 2 weeks later...

https://phys.org/news/2024-04-humbling-bit-fully-global.html

Environmental scientists are very perplexed as to why this global warming has hit so fast.

None of their past research has figured into the scenario the world is experiencing right now.😱😱😱

Edited by SheyZ

Misspelled words and missing words

In my mind I live in Paradise every day. If there's a nice sunny day I pretend that we're in the new world.

I read the news (not in great detail) because I know the details are gory and portray extreme wickedness.

🌍 I find some things like how the recent climate change has shocked the scientists. 

I threw in that United Nations news release showing that fact.

🌻I've been a Witness for almost 50 years. Just thrilling to see prophecy being fulfilled with such intensity knowing that soon Jehovah's name will be vindicated.

I could have never dreampt in my wildest dreams the earth would get to this point. But now I understand if it didn't and Jehovah didn't cut the days short, no flesh would be saved.

How wonderful that never again will any being be able to question Jehovah's sovereignty. 👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾

Edited by SheyZ

Misspelled words and unfinished ideas

On 4/4/2024 at 7:20 AM, SheyZ said:

https://phys.org/news/2024-04-humbling-bit-fully-global.html

Environmental scientists are very perplexed as to why this global warming has hit so fast.

None of their past research has figured into the scenario the world is experiencing right now.😱😱😱

James Hansen a former top scientist for NASA (who is known as the godfather of this topic) sounded the alarm back in 2022 and released a report titled Global Warming in the Pipeline. It’s perplexing for them because EEI (Earths Energy Imbalance) is hard to measure against a climate response time, there are so many factors involved to knowing how our weather will respond and when with accuracy. That report goes in great detail and James and his team predicted 2023 & 2024 to be hottest back in 2022 based on their modeling samples and that our EEI will continue to get worst.

I've read on JW talk some of the friends are thinking oh about 10 years before this system ends. I don't believe that's even possible with the earth wide mess we are in.

Not just global warming. 

I know why some think 10 years because they're counting 120 years preaching that Noah did & counting from 1914. 

Edited by SheyZ

On 4/6/2024 at 11:09 AM, Lewis said:

James Hansen a former top scientist for NASA (who is known as the godfather of this topic) sounded the alarm back in 2022 and released a report titled Global Warming in the Pipeline. It’s perplexing for them because EEI (Earths Energy Imbalance) is hard to measure against a climate response time, there are so many factors involved to knowing how our weather will respond and when with accuracy. That report goes in great detail and James and his team predicted 2023 & 2024 to be hottest back in 2022 based on their modeling samples and that our EEI will continue to get worst.

Really enjoyed that article you shared..

Posted (edited)

image.png.81afc01cc96f8b7ac2f7977e6a37dbbe.png

Global Temperature Update for March 2024

Global Temperature for the month of March is the hottest on record for the 10th month in a row.

Global surface temperature was recorded at 1.39C (1951-1980 mean) or 1.66C (1880-1920 mean).NASA data (just noticed the graph above shows 1.41C but my chart from NASA says 1.39C)

We are currently holding at 1.64C for the year so far above the pre industrial (1880-1920 mean) NASA data

We have averaged 1.52C for the last 12 months.

April is on track to become hottest month already.

Edited by Lewis