JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Superman

What's wrong with watching superman? My aunt said that superman has powers so I can't watch it. I don't understand what she's talking about. Explain this to me.

I think you are going to have to ask the aunt on this one. I thoroughly enjoy watching superman.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

What's wrong with watching superman? My aunt said that superman has powers so I can't watch it. I don't understand what she's talking about. Explain this to me.

Perhaps she meant Superman 4 specifically - because it really really stunk.

Superman 1 and 2 were fantastic (with Christopher Reeve). Superman 3 was only so-so.

The latest Superman Returns was very very nice as well, and they are currently filming a new Superman movie to be released next year which I will most certainly make a point of seeing... with my wife, and my 5 and 9 year olds :)

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I almost always watched Smallville. There were a few episodes that went spritistic and had to be skipped, but I thought it was an interesting take.

And of course Lois & Clark :crush:

But even that show had a few wierd moments - like when Lois was cloned and ate frogs :eat:

But overall it was pretty good.

When I was growing up I loved the original superman show - very classy ;)

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Im not saying your aunt is correct , I myself really enjoy "super hero" movies

But in the superman Mythos there is an underlying theme which portrays superman as a christ-like figure

a son of and advance being sending his only son to "save" the earth ..........is just one of many

SM4 shows him hovering above the earth listening to crys for help from just about everyone.

the list goes on but i will stop there, my dad had issues with this genre also.

But we are all grown ups and know reality from fantasy right?

I almost always watched Smallville. There were a few episodes that went spritistic and had to be skipped, but I thought it was an interesting take.

And of course Lois & Clark :crush:

I really liked Smallville. It dragged on for a little too long, and the seasonal continuity was very poor, but it was still a good show. I have it and all the Lois & Clark's on DVD :)

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

But in the superman Mythos there is an underlying theme which portrays superman as a christ-like figure a son of and advance being sending his only son to "save" the earth ..........is just one of many

Superman is just one of many stories that completely rip off the Bible.

I think superman is more of a Samson rip and I can see a little bit of Angel Gabriel like powers traveling in high speeds to get to Daniel seen in chapters 8 and 9.

Interesting. I never thought of that connection before.

I always saw it as the Father (Jor-El) sent his only begotten son (Kal-El, Clark Kent, Superman) to earth to be mankind's savior.

In Hebrew, "El" means "god". Jor-El begins with a J like Jehovah, and Kal-El begins with a K like Khristos (Christ).

Regardless, Superman is awesome.

Bob, now after your explanation of the history of superman and how he came about, I'm not so sure I like superman anymore. I'm beginning to think he intended to usurp our Heavenly Father's Son fame as savior. It should be USURPERMAN for SUPERMAN. Anyone, out there got Kryptonite? :deadhorse:

There is nothing wrong with sci-fi which i associate with superman and the like, the socitey k indly reminds us that we need a discerning eye and a well balanced view , (dont get so involved in it you believe its reay and it controls your life)

sci-fi is part of the reason you have your cell phone..............a tri-corded from star trek anyone?

Just keep a balanced view and you should be ok .

I just imagine how it will be and what we can do with perfection and the full capacity of our brains unlocked! just think of it

Here is some thoughts that were related to me by one of the elders in my congregation,

He told me that he personally loves the lord of the rings movies and similar , he loves super hero movies as well, he said that there is nothing wrong with watching them , but he wouldn't do so with someone that has issues with it.

In short its a PERSONAL descision

Sometimes it's just better not to share what you watch. My sister who lives next door to me finds some of the things Grumpy likes to be offensive so I stopped talking about our preferences. On the other hand I don't like some of her choices.:shrugs::shutup::peace:

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

• 5 months later...

I have heard friends, even elders speak discouragingly about Superman specifically. The story came out about the time of the Great Depression and just before World War II, when Americans and others wanted some hope. Wikipedia makes this point about the creators of the character and their influences:

--------------------------------------------------

Because Siegel and Shuster were both Jewish, some religious commentators and pop-culture scholars such as Rabbi Simcha Weinstein and British novelist Howard Jacobson suggest that Superman's creation was partly influenced by Moses,[45][46] and other Jewish elements. Superman's Kryptonian name, "Kal-El", resembles the Hebrew words קל-אל, which can be taken to mean "voice of God".[47] The suffix "el", meaning "(of) God"[48] is also found in the name of angels (e.g. Gabriel, Ariel), who are flying humanoid agents of good with superhuman powers. Jewish legends of the Golem have been cited as worthy of comparison,[49] a Golem being a mythical being created to protect and serve the persecuted Jews of 16th century Prague and later revived in popular culture in reference to their suffering at the hands of the Nazis in Europe during the 1930s and 1940s. Superman is often seen as being an analogy for Jesus, being a savior of humanity.[38][46][49][50] Furthermore, the surname Kent, in early 20th century real life, was a common Americanization of "Cohen," and Clark Kent's wimpy, bumbling persona strongly resembled the classic Yiddish schlemiel.

-------------------------------------------------

I remember when the first Superman movie that featured Christopher Reeve, several friends objected to the song that Lois Lane sort of spoke in her mind while she was flying with him, which later became a regular song on the charts called "Can You Read My Mind" (Maureen McGovern) and its lyric:

Here I am like a kid out of school,

Holding hands with a god or a fool.

I see the point of those friends, and I also see the point of those who enjoy the story as entertainment without taking it seriously.

Oh Superman is clearly lifted from the Bible's messianic stories no doubt. The father (Jor-El) sends his only son (Kal-El) to earth to be it's savior and protector, as it's main back story, and the whole "El" thing.

I remember when the first Superman movie that featured Christopher Reeve, several friends objected to the song that Lois Lane sort of spoke in her mind while she was flying with him, which later became a regular song on the charts called "Can You Read My Mind" (Maureen McGovern) and its lyric:

Here I am like a kid out of school,

Holding hands with a god or a fool.

I see the point of those friends, and I also see the point of those who enjoy the story as entertainment without taking it seriously.

Interesting.