JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Anyone grilling/cooking/roasting anything?

I'm in a food information desert! Anyone done anything fun? Anything tasty?

I got that 50 pound box of potatoes from my local market for 7 bucks. Roasted half cut into quarters with garlic, frozen on sheet trays. Put loose potato wedges in Food Saver bags for preservation. Then baked the other half, peeled when cool then grated in food processor,  making hashbrowns.  Made 1 cup servings formed into patties, frozen on sheet trays and put into packets of 2 in food saver bags to preserve. Sharing these with the friends, too much for just us as I cant eat potatoes!!!

So, anyone doing something fun and different? 

If you're within mailing distance I have blueberries and blackberries I need to find a home for.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Eating out? All our restaurants, those still open, are pickup, delivery or takeout.

Now as for spuds. I've been making wedges, coating with Olive oil or similar, dusting heavenly with garlic granules ( course powder), salt and pepper then roasting them for 40 minutes or so at 400F until nice and crispy and.  Oink 😋

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

6 hours ago, pnutts said:

Eating out? All our restaurants, those still open, are pickup, delivery or takeout.

Now as for spuds. I've been making wedges, coating with Olive oil or similar, dusting heavenly with garlic granules ( course powder), salt and pepper then roasting them for 40 minutes or so at 400F until nice and crispy and.  Oink 😋

You bet ya! I did the same thing with  half of the box of spuds. Very versatile,  can do a lot with those.

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Our neighbors gave us two eels. They will be cooked over red coals from a fire, outside, the old way.

We don’t, “eel”. It’s dangerous. They got hooked at the mouth of the river. A mess to clean, but, well worth it! 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

11 minutes ago, Miss Bea said:

Our neighbors gave us two eels. They will be cooked over red coals from a fire, outside, the old way.

We don’t, “eel”. It’s dangerous. They got hooked at the mouth of the river. A mess to clean, but, well worth it! 

Why is it dangerous? I remember swimming (bathing) in September and seeing lots of eels, they were gross. How do they taste?

17 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

Why is it dangerous? I remember swimming (bathing) in September and seeing lots of eels, they were gross. How do they taste?

The good ones are caught at the mouth of the river. And, that mouth is not a tranquil place to do anything. Turn your back, and, it’s over. The Pacific Ocean is not kind at the mouth. 
I remember one time we were gill net fishing, (for salmon) and like the green horns we were, we set our nets, (40 feet long, and 100 feet long) we set those nets close to the mouth. 
(to set nets, you anchor one end on the bank, and, in your row boat, row like crazy, and toss out that other anchor) You are fighting g the current of the river. 
I remember working the net, wondering what that, “stuff” was. It was that foamy gook that can be on the ocean. And, there we were...Almost straddling the ocean and river. 
The nets disappeared on us. We had to wait for the tide to change to even see the corks that told. Us where the nets were. 
I think that was a time a whale went through the middle of both our nets. (Net mending time)

I’m glad we had that experience, but, I don’t miss it. At all. 
Taste? Unique, can’t describe it, but they are sooo good. Beans, potatoes, with onions, and beets with onions, old time meal! 
(We live 23 miles from the mouth, or so. By the time, any eels or salmon that make it up river, no thanks. The taste of them fresh from the Pacific makes all the difference. Salmon sort of have a muddy taste, and, eels, nope, not worth cleaning. They lose weight, coming up river) 

Edited by Miss Bea

Which river? I can understand the ferocity of a river, we have the Columbia,  ours is called one of the world's most dangerous mouth to the Pacific.

I've never seen eels here but yes salmon. Although salmon fishing is carefully controlled. 

22 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

Which river? I can understand the ferocity of a river, we have the Columbia,  ours is called one of the world's most dangerous mouth to the Pacific.

I've never seen eels here but yes salmon. Although salmon fishing is carefully controlled. 

Klamath. 
Salmon? A couple of years  ago, we had a Salmon Festival with no salmon! Last year, they were small. We did not smoke them. But, they were really good, and sorry we did not reach out for more! 
Who knows, this year?

Klamath, yup I know that one

They have been small here too. Fishing should be stopped for a couple years to let them recover. You should see how many boats are out there during fishing season, its a slaughter.

On 4/29/2020 at 2:57 AM, bagwell1987 said:

If you're within mailing distance I have blueberries and blackberries I need to find a home for.

If I still lived in Vancouver, BC I would take up your offer!! Favourite foods!! You can also freeze them.

My husband noticed that hardly anyone picks berries while we were in Vancouver last summer. He felt like it was food paradise. It was like he could have lunch going out for a walk with my brother's dogs in the park while picking from the bushes. :lol: Germans love to go for a walk in the forest and it's slim pickings here. They also grow their own patches of strawberries and blueberries where consumers can pay for them by weight and pick themselves.

Even across the street from my brother's house in the city, there were a few bushes and my husband was out busy with the kids while they rode on their bicycles and he took a few tupperware containers to pick. Later the kids and including myself joined him in picking delicious blackberries. :D

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

Ps.86:11

On 4/28/2020 at 10:57 PM, bagwell1987 said:

I'm in a food information desert! Anyone done anything fun? Anything tasty?

I got that 50 pound box of potatoes from my local market for 7 bucks.

So, anyone doing something fun and different? 

For a while I was frying potatoes with caramelized onions, but I had to change it up for the sake of variety.  Soo, I baked Rosemary potatoes and carrots yesterday using thyme, rosemary, onion powder, lemon pepper,  salt and fresh minced garlic.  Drizzled with olive oil, of course! :)  Here's how it looked afterwards.

20200424_040339.jpg

Edited by Omoyeme

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OK taking pictures of my latest adventure, Cordon Bleu pork roll! Each loin gave me 4 servings so the freezer is going to save the day. Very delicious.

This is what I want to do next, only with boneless thighs- more moist  https://diethood.com/chicken-lazone-recipe/

1278731537_Cordon1(1331x748).thumb.jpg.9e0edfc9c8b1b0e78525482974d13d23.jpg1213825075_Cordon3(1331x748).thumb.jpg.66d4cb421d9f58efbd99d0e14a1e5098.jpg535117958_Cordon2(1331x748).thumb.jpg.7a94b8fa6fd997737ec29de18fa32ead.jpg