JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Ambition

The sky, that's where my ambition would reach. In fact, they amount to building castles in the sky, a phrase I had learned and caught in senior school. But nobody warned me about the hoax of perfection, the hidden truths no one wants to share, and I learned it the hard way. The paradox of positivity was I accustomed to, constantly been preached to me like a winner, when in fact, I wasn't. Thus, the world in all its bitterness taught me difficulty and life showed me 'reality', one that I could have known beforehand and battled with. Instead, I laid in the spirit of perfection relishing my ambition. That very one that dictated my whole life.
As a local champion in chess, you would receive adulation and honors. I recieved mine and many more; I received specialty and popularity amongst the neighborhood. My achievements were bragged and people never dare to challenge me. Dare I say local champion, I had never competed in a championship, and my achievements were bound to the people I know. They sold me greater dreams, and I woke up everyday feeling special. I had only won a dozen of games.
Ambition is all good when it's muddled with challenges. It is especially dangerous when it's packed with certainty, predictability, and routine. When challenges aren't present, you're inured to a familiar way of thinking, and when others praise - that thinking of undue positivity - the hoax of perfection becomes your entrapment. Allow challenges be the fuel that burns your ambition. Skill is good, but hard-work that stems from challenges is better. Train yourself believing hard work as a necessity in your drive for perfection. When challenges shape you, there's a different, not a familiar, way of thinking. Why? Because challenges is the mother of hard work.
I proceeded in participating in my first championship, but it wasn't good, I felt humiliated.  I doubted my existence; it was a major blow that had me questioning the rules of chess, or rather, my rules of chess. My ambitions were flattened almost immediately. And a grand master approached me and said, "there are foundations laid for even castles in the sky." A metaphorical statement that hit me hard.

28 minutes ago, GodlyDevotion said:

The sky, that's where my ambition would reach. In fact, they amount to building castles in the sky, a phrase I had learned and caught in senior school. But nobody warned me about the hoax of perfection, the hidden truths no one wants to share, and I learned it the hard way. The paradox of positivity was I accustomed to, constantly been preached to me like a winner, when in fact, I wasn't. Thus, the world in all its bitterness taught me difficulty and life showed me 'reality', one that I could have known beforehand and battled with. Instead, I laid in the spirit of perfection relishing my ambition. That very one that dictated my whole life.
As a local champion in chess, you would receive adulation and honors. I recieved mine and many more; I received specialty and popularity amongst the neighborhood. My achievements were bragged and people never dare to challenge me. Dare I say local champion, I had never competed in a championship, and my achievements were bound to the people I know. They sold me greater dreams, and I woke up everyday feeling special. I had only won a dozen of games.
Ambition is all good when it's muddled with challenges. It is especially dangerous when it's packed with certainty, predictability, and routine. When challenges aren't present, you're inured to a familiar way of thinking, and when others praise - that thinking of undue positivity - the hoax of perfection becomes your entrapment. Allow challenges be the fuel that burns your ambition. Skill is good, but hard-work that stems from challenges is better. Train yourself believing hard work as a necessity in your drive for perfection. When challenges shape you, there's a different, not a familiar, way of thinking. Why? Because challenges is the mother of hard work.
I proceeded in participating in my first championship, but it wasn't good, I felt humiliated.  I doubted my existence; it was a major blow that had me questioning the rules of chess, or rather, my rules of chess. My ambitions were flattened almost immediately. And a grand master approached me and said, "there are foundations laid for even castles in the sky." A metaphorical statement that hit me hard.

Your stye of writing reminds me of Wole Soyinka.

Wole Soyinka (born 13 July 1934) is a Nigerian playwright, poet and essayist.  After studying in Nigeria and the UK, he worked with the Royal Court Theatre in London. He went on to write plays that were produced in both countries, in theatres and on radio. He was awarded the 1986 Nobel Prize in Literature, the first African to be honoured in that category

https://en.wikipedia.org

• 4 weeks later...