JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Damage Reports From the Aug. 10th Derecho

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1310 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I knew the storm in the midwest USA on August 10th was bad,

but I didn't realize just HOW bad.  :( 

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/iowa-farmers-devastated-after-derecho-damages-14-million-acres-of-farmland-grain-bins

Iowa farmers say it will be a massive undertaking to recover from a hurricane-force storm that damaged an estimated 14 million acres of farmland earlier this month.

On Aug. 10, a dangerous wind event known as a derecho tore through Iowa with wind gusts of up to 140 mph, devastating thousands of farms.

The farmland lost to the storm included 8.7 million acres of corn and 5.3 million acres of soybean, Lance Lillibridge, of the Iowa Corn Growers Association, told Fox News.

Even though over half the state’s corn has been affected, Lillibridge said the greater problem is the widespread damage to storage bins, a situation he described as a looming natural disaster that could affect the nation’s food supply.

“The chance of getting new bins built in a timely manner before harvest is slim to absolutely none,” he said.

spacer.png
TAMA, IA - AUGUST 11: In this aerial view from a drone, corn plants are shown pushed over in a storm-damaged field on August 11, 2020 in Tama, Iowa. 

The damage extended beyond farms, with officials reporting 60,000 damaged homes in Cedar Rapids alone. 

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

This storm hit us pretty bad where we are in Missouri. The rain came down so hard. Our lawn furniture got tossed around by the wind and banged against the house. It scared the kids. They were all screaming, “Is this the Great Tribulation?!”