JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Dopamine fast/detox

11 hours ago, Katty said:

ya that's... that a thing.  I mean if you're trying to modify habits long term, then an understanding of the reward system, could be helpful but trying to "abstain from dopamine" is impossible and even if it were, would be a very bad idea (dopamine is neither good nor bad).

Here's some good advice from an Awake article:

Preventing the Return of Bad Habits

Relapse Prevention

You may also have had some means of rewarding yourself whenever you successfully resisted the habit you were trying to overcome. A modified reward system may be helpful in preventing a relapse. Or, in breaking a habit, did you enlist the aid of a friend? Allow this one to help you keep free of your past bad habit.

So, you could come here and tell us how you took a break from other social media and we could encourage you - as a new reward system.

:wink:

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

On 9/22/2020 at 5:08 PM, Brandon said:

ya that's... that a thing.  I mean if you're trying to modify habits long term, then an understanding of the reward system, could be helpful but trying to "abstain from dopamine" is impossible and even if it were, would be a very bad idea (dopamine is neither good nor bad).

The idea isn't to avoid dopamine altogether.  It's to avoid having too much of it, because if you easily get the sensation of reward from tapping a game on your phone or getting likes on a forum, you find little reward by comparison by actually doing hard work.  The point is to make sure that you only allow yourself reward, or dopamine, from doing things that actually deserve a reward, like getting jobs done that you need to do.

On 9/23/2020 at 3:22 AM, trottigy said:

So, you could come here and tell us how you took a break from other social media and we could encourage you - as a new reward system.

Even if the media is upbuilding like this forum, the fact remains that it's a way of satisfying yourself without doing any work - in simple terms, procrastination.

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

i still saw you online emoji87.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. that week was a particularly unsuccessful week. All I could really do was reduce log ins.
I did however, get some writing done and learned tons of Spanish.