JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Food Stamps

We was talking in class and my teacher said that he thinks the government should get rid of food stamps because hes sick of people living better than he is with food stamps. He also said that if anyone needs money to pay for food they should get a job. I have a disable aunt who can't get food stamps because she get too much income. But she can bearly feed her family and cried because she can't get food stamps. I can see how the world of unfairness works.

The world we live in is very unfair, and sadly more and more people like your aunt are facing this same problem. Prices of goods continue to go up, but yet incomes are not going up enough to compensate for the cost of inflation. So while someone may appear to be making a decent living, there income does not cover that anymore.

My husband is making the same amount of money he made in 2002. In 2002, it was a good income, but now 10 yrs later, it's not a good income as everything from food, gas, etc continues to rise. A year ago I got a part time job, but sadly, it is not really extra money, all it does is help out with the extra cost for gas and food and other things that have gone up.

Recently I read a report that said the amount of people in the US on the food stamp program has risen dramatically in the last few years, and these people do have jobs.

So yes, this world is so unfair. And despite how bad it is for us, we know there are so many more struggling even more then we are. I am thankful I have a job and my husband has a job and we can at least provide the necessities of life, I just feel so bad for the ones who can't even afford the basics.

We need Jehovah to take care of things, and he will very soon.

Dear Sister Taneisha: There is no doubt that in Satan's evil system of things we should expect what is UNFAIR, UNJUST, TIRELESS DECEPTION and MISTREATMENT. This is why we cling tightly to our life-raft which is our FAITH, and we clench vigorously to our lifesaver that is Jehovah and His son Jesus. We cling and clench in the hopes of one day to live in a new world govern by our creator's laws, where peace will abound, and all the provisions that we need to survive will be plentiful. Rest assured one day we will see this evil system of things conquered and smoldering in smoke and fire. Until then walk ahead and with a smile knowing that your liberation is fast approaching. http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1afupcD9s1rplo8xo1_400.gif

The world we live in is very unfair, and sadly more and more people like your aunt are facing this same problem. Prices of goods continue to go up, but yet incomes are not going up enough to compensate for the cost of inflation. So while someone may appear to be making a decent living, there income does not cover that anymore.

My husband is making the same amount of money he made in 2002. In 2002, it was a good income, but now 10 yrs later, it's not a good income as everything from food, gas, etc continues to rise. A year ago I got a part time job, but sadly, it is not really extra money, all it does is help out with the extra cost for gas and food and other things that have gone up.

Recently I read a report that said the amount of people in the US on the food stamp program has risen dramatically in the last few years, and these people do have jobs.

So yes, this world is so unfair. And despite how bad it is for us, we know there are so many more struggling even more then we are. I am thankful I have a job and my husband has a job and we can at least provide the necessities of life, I just feel so bad for the ones who can't even afford the basics.

We need Jehovah to take care of things, and he will very soon.

I agree. We do need Jehovah to take care of things. My aunt can't work because she's disable and it very unfair how she cannot get food stamps. Funny how the people looks at the president to do something but they can't because they have no control over companies greed and how much individuals spend.

Yep, every 4 yrs the people in this country vote for a president. The men/women running for president in the months before always promise to solve all of the country's problems. Sadly, they never will be able too. They are imperfect men and because of that, they will never fix the problems.

Only Jehovah will be able to do that.

Yep, every 4 yrs the people in this country vote for a president. The men/women running for president in the months before always promise to solve all of the country's problems. Sadly, they never will be able too. They are imperfect men and because of that, they will never fix the problems.

Only Jehovah will be able to do that.

Thats why so many people began to hate the president and become angry because he makes promises he can't keep because he doesn't know the economy will end two years later.

(Ecclesiastes 8:9) All this I have seen, and there was an applying of my heart to every work that has been done under the sun, [during] the time that man has dominated man to his injury.

(Jeremiah 10:23)  I well know, O Jehovah, that to earthling man his way does not belong. It does not belong to man . . .:readbible:

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

We was talking in class and my teacher said that he thinks the government should get rid of food stamps because hes sick of people living better than he is with food stamps. He also said that if anyone needs money to pay for food they should get a job. I have a disable aunt who can't get food stamps because she get too much income. But she can bearly feed her family and cried because she can't get food stamps. I can see how the world of unfairness works.

This is a sensitive subject for me. I am the only working person in my home, a husband, and father, supporting for a disabled wife, and 2 kids with disabilities. I work a job that pays barely over minimum wage, because nobody wants to take a chance with me with 1/2 heart and a pacemaker. I am a hard worker! Fast learner! So because of that, I get stuck at minimum wage jobs, and that qualifies me for assistance. I get food stamps and medical. I agree, there are those that abuse the system, however, there are those like me that just can't get a break in life and does everything they can to survive.

My heart condition is because my dad served the country in Vietnam. It's a side effect of Agent Orange.

So, what I say to people like your teacher is this: My family and I thank you so much for the free food! And free medicines!!!

SO NEENER NEENER!!!!

And I for one, am happy that you are able to get them, Micah. In my field of work, there are so many abuses of the system, and yet I feel that if you are entitled to them, then this is one way that Jehovah is helping you out. Eat well and be happy.:eat:

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

I feel the same way. I agree there are abuses with the system, I have some non witness family members who are very good at taking advantage of government programs, and it does irritate me. I do feel the government should do a better job at checking into ones who receive government assistance so they can get rid of the ones abusing it. I also realize that due to circumstances beyond our control, everyone needs a little help now and then. I don't have a problem with my tax dollars helping out ones who are good and hardworking people, who unfortunately have had circumstances happen beyond their control and they just need a bit of help.

I am perfectly fine with my taxes helping these ones out. There are many decent people out there like Micah who is working, but his wife can't work and his kids can't work, so yeah, he needs some extra help. I'm ok with my money going for that.

Now my family members who receive govt assistance, honestly, they are just lazy, simple as that. They can work, but they don't. When they have worked, it's cash jobs, so that way they can still get their govt assistance. So they are just liars. I do wish the govt would do more to investigate and weed these ones out, but it is what it is.

Just glad you are getting the extra help you need Micah. The food stamp program is helping millions of people who do work, they just don't make enough money, so I'm glad for many the system works.

I am also a supporter of drug testing for ones who receive govt money. My family members spend so much of their checks on alcohol and drugs, and it irritates me so much. This money should be for food and shelter, but they waste it on alcohol and drugs. Drives me nuts.

This is a sensitive subject for me. I am the only working person in my home, a husband, and father, supporting for a disabled wife, and 2 kids with disabilities. I work a job that pays barely over minimum wage, because nobody wants to take a chance with me with 1/2 heart and a pacemaker. I am a hard worker! Fast learner! So because of that, I get stuck at minimum wage jobs, and that qualifies me for assistance. I get food stamps and medical. I agree, there are those that abuse the system, however, there are those like me that just can't get a break in life and does everything they can to survive.

My heart condition is because my dad served the country in Vietnam. It's a side effect of Agent Orange.

So, what I say to people like your teacher is this: My family and I thank you so much for the free food! And free medicines!!!

SO NEENER NEENER!!!!

If this could be proven, would you qualify for VA benifits?

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

SO NEENER NEENER!!!!

I checked into that and nope. They said I would need my dad to sign off on it, and if he does I would get about $150/month. So much for serving your country, eh? Serve Jehovah = EVERLASTING LIFE WITH PERFECT HEALTH!!! There is no greater reward then that!!!

My dad ABSOLUTELY HATES Jehovah's Witnesses, he refuses to talk to me ever until I quit being one. Guess I'll never speak to him again. His loss. But he demands that I keep him up to date on my kids, who he has denied. Don't make sense. Oh well, least he has grandparents that are in the truth that do care.

SO NEENER NEENER!!!!

I checked into that and nope. They said I would need my dad to sign off on it, and if he does I would get about $150/month. So much for serving your country, eh? Serve Jehovah = EVERLASTING LIFE WITH PERFECT HEALTH!!! There is no greater reward then that!!!

My dad ABSOLUTELY HATES Jehovah's Witnesses, he refuses to talk to me ever until I quit being one. Guess I'll never speak to him again. His loss. But he demands that I keep him up to date on my kids, who he has denied. Don't make sense. Oh well, least he has grandparents that are in the truth that do care.

Go figure, He wants nothing to do with you because you refuse to fight and kill and yet it was his pact with the Devil that causes your health issues. Such love!

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

(quote) I have a disable aunt who can't get food stamps because she get too much income. But she can bearly feed her family and cried because she can't get food stamps. I can see how the world of unfairness works.

Dear Sister Taneisha,

Has your aunt looked for other sources for help. Here in our little town we have a "food pantry" They don't ask what your income is. Anyone is welcome. She might want to check this out where she lives.:encourage:

(Jeremiah 10:23)  I well know, O Jehovah, that to earthling man his way does not belong. It does not belong to man . . .:readbible:

I wanted to share a little word illustration that was given at our Circuit Assembly this Morning. The brother asked: "Why can't man direct his own step?" Jer 10:23) "Well, why don't pigs fly? They are not designed to do so, nor are we designed 'to direct our own steps'. So perhaps when pigs are able to fly, we will be able to direct our own steps." http://freeemoticonsandsmileys.com/3D%20Smileys/3D%20Animal%20Smileys/baby%20pig.gif

Food, shelter, clothing are all basic needs. But somehow, Satan has even been able to use those things to divide people. I so look forward to the day when “There will come to be plenty of grain on the earth; . . . there will be an overflow.”—Psalm 72:16. and all will build their own houses, live in security, and “be joyful forever.”—Isaiah 65:17-24.

"Life can be understood by looking back but it must be lived by looking ahead".

Wow, what an arrogant twit. If he wants to live better, why doesn't he get a better job? There will always be people in society that need assistance until the end of this system. Always. He's probably of the mindset that everyone who gets the food stamps are lazy sots who don't want to work which is absolute malarky! There are many in circumstances that don't permit them to work full-time hours, and it's not as simple as stating 'Get a job'.

I pray he gets the eye-opening experience of a lifetime. Nothing like a huge pail of water thrown full force into your face to make you realize what a complete MORON you've been. (I say this from experience LOL)

My mother used the services of the food bank, she was bi-polar and she WANTED to work. Before she got ill, she held down three jobs trying to support our little family, and lazy was not a word in her vocabulary. However, due to her illness, she would be overwhelmed easily, and she would spiral into either depression or a manic cycle. Should she be denied these things when I pay exorbitant amounts of taxes for social programs? HECK NO, that's WHY I pay them.

I see this kind of attitude prevalent in a lot of people these days, it all ties into the scripture found at 2 Tim 3:2 -- For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, self-assuming, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, 3 having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness..

I highlighted all the ones that I thought applied in this situation. Don't you worry your pretty little head about those kind of comments Taneisha, Jehovah's watching and taking note of ones like him and your teachers callousness toward those who are poor won't go unrewarded. Whenever we feel offended, you can guarantee Jehovah feels it even more strongly than we do.

(quote) I have a disable aunt who can't get food stamps because she get too much income. But she can bearly feed her family and cried because she can't get food stamps. I can see how the world of unfairness works.

Dear Sister Taneisha,

Has your aunt looked for other sources for help. Here in our little town we have a "food pantry" They don't ask what your income is. Anyone is welcome. She might want to check this out where she lives.:encourage:

She goes to helping hands which gives out free food but its still not enough. It can't help her with food the entire month. She tired everything but keep getting denied.

Wow, what an arrogant twit. If he wants to live better, why doesn't he get a better job? There will always be people in society that need assistance until the end of this system. Always. He's probably of the mindset that everyone who gets the food stamps are lazy sots who don't want to work which is absolute malarky! There are many in circumstances that don't permit them to work full-time hours, and it's not as simple as stating 'Get a job'.

I pray he gets the eye-opening experience of a lifetime. Nothing like a huge pail of water thrown full force into your face to make you realize what a complete MORON you've been. (I say this from experience LOL)

My mother used the services of the food bank, she was bi-polar and she WANTED to work. Before she got ill, she held down three jobs trying to support our little family, and lazy was not a word in her vocabulary. However, due to her illness, she would be overwhelmed easily, and she would spiral into either depression or a manic cycle. Should she be denied these things when I pay exorbitant amounts of taxes for social programs? HECK NO, that's WHY I pay them.

I see this kind of attitude prevalent in a lot of people these days, it all ties into the scripture found at 2 Tim 3:2 -- For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, self-assuming, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, 3 having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness..

I highlighted all the ones that I thought applied in this situation. Don't you worry your pretty little head about those kind of comments Taneisha, Jehovah's watching and taking note of ones like him and your teachers callousness toward those who are poor won't go unrewarded. Whenever we feel offended, you can guarantee Jehovah feels it even more strongly than we do.

I couldn't believe he said that in class. He believes getting a job is easy. For a year, I tried getting a job but its hard. So he has no idea how hard it is to get a job and keep one.

Hey, perhaps if you have an assignment where you write an essay, you can write about this subject. Maybe it will never be addressed in your classroom. But, this is just one thought. If he heard from your own lips - your story - it might just change his thinking. :S

I couldn't believe he said that in class. He believes getting a job is easy. For a year, I tried getting a job but its hard. So he has no idea how hard it is to get a job and keep one.

He must be a republican, lol.

They believe that "entitlement" programs like Social Security, Medicare, Food Stamps, etc should be gone. They believe it is not the responsibility of the government to take care of you, especially when you retire.

Must be a republican.

Hey, perhaps if you have an assignment where you write an essay, you can write about this subject. Maybe it will never be addressed in your classroom. But, this is just one thought. If he heard from your own lips - your story - it might just change his thinking. :S

Hes very stubborn. He wants everyone to hear what he has to say but not what the class has to say about it.